Nvidia announces system-on-a-chip for mobile devices

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Science & Tech
[figure]nvidia_tegra_dime.jpg[/figure]Nvidia, seemingly with Intel in their crosshairs, today announced the Tegra, a new system-on-a-chip billed as "The world's smallest computer on a chip." Included on the Tegra are an 800 MHz ARM CPU, a HD video processor, an imaging processor, an audio processor, and an ultra-low power GeForce GPU.
Nvidia claims 1080p HDMI output from this little guy. The next couple of years should be interesting in the mobile space.

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    The handheld is poised to invade the notebook and even the desktop market; especially as an increasing number of people need nothing more than an internet connection and a fast interface.

Streaming HD video to handhelds with digital projectors, wireless docking stations that allow the use of monitor/keyboard/mouse, TRUE MOBILE BROADBAND.

bring it.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Pic no worky...perhaps it should have a jpg extension? :p
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2008
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    No words.... should have sent... a poet.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Compelled Thrax is compelled.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Compelled Thrax is compelled.

Did you fail a will save?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    The DC on this thing is like 27, CB. Can't blame him for failing.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    UMPCs and Smartphones gain a +10 circumstance bonus when attempting to interest me.
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    edited June 2008
    Nvidia's stock shot up for the rest of the day after they announced it, but it had no effect on Intel's.
    AMD's latest shot at Intel:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amd-shares-rise-new-graphics/story.aspx?guid=%7B491208BC-E338-403D-BC74-0827205EA98B%7D&dist=msr_1

"The Sunnyvale, Calif., company's new generation of chips for notebook computers offers improved high definition graphics, wireless connectivity and power management, and is aimed at both consumers, particularly gaming enthusiasts, and businesses."
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    I'm with Ryder, ps- I can't see the picture posted in #1 either.

Seems pretty powerful and versatile- I could see it if I need to travel light, but I'll still take my LT on the plane and to job/event sites. I'm just too old school- cramped keyboards and screens suc.