Any WS 2008 Users?

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited June 2008 in Science & Tech
I was reading through this article http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2008/02/11/using-windows-server-2008-as-a-super-desktop-os.aspx as well as a few others and was wondering what anyone's thoughts were about using it as their desktop os? I've not been too keen on vista and have just been looking at what else is around. Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I used to do this with Win2K server. You can achieve the same sort of thing with Vista by paring it down to barebones services and then enabling key UI features, but going "the other way", from Server to Vista works just as well.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2008
    How much does Server 08 cost?
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited June 2008
    Thought I saw one for $600 or so for 5 clients... but haven't really looked around yet. All depends on how many cal's you'd need.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2008
    We have to ws2k8 servers at work. It's a nice OS, it's fast and so far stable, but to be honest I've seldom had any issues with 2k server, never any with 2k3 server and we haven't been running 2k8 long enough to see. The gui is very similar to Vista but where 2k8 shines is that it's tighter aka less bloat. However to turn it into a Desktop machine you've got to add a lot of the bloat in so I don't know how much better off you'd be.

The big + on the server side is that you can install it in console only mode and leave even more bloat behind. However if you are installing Exchange, MS Sql, BES, or a few other standard things that you'd want to run on a server they require the GUI install so they missed the ball on that anyway.
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    $0.02:
    Currently running 3 Win2K8 servers at work in a production environment. Very fast, very stable. Install is a breeze, it just works.

However, I'm not a huge fan of IIS7. Other than that, 2K8 pretty much rules.
    edited June 2008
    Nolf-Job wrote:
    Thought I saw one for $600 or so for 5 clients... but haven't really looked around yet. All depends on how many cal's you'd need.

That's a tad rich for my blood. For those unaware, the 5 'clients' doesn't mean you can install the server on 5 machines, it means 5 machines can be connected and access data from the server simultaneously. This essentially makes it a $600 desktop platform.

My point for mentioning this is that many peeps get illegal copies of these server software packages (often easier to get VL copies without activation being required, for example). Asking stuff like "how do I get $150 of use out of $600 software" is a dead giveaway, and this was my polite warning shot for the sake of Icrontic. I think some forum etiquette is in order. I'm certainly no saint, but if the intent is what I suspect perhaps we don't need to discuss that here.
    edited June 2008
    You can achieve the same sort of thing with Vista by paring it down to barebones services and then enabling key UI features...

This is pretty much it - if you want Vista to run faster, it takes the same or less amount of work to trim the services/resource usage in Vista as it would to properly convert a server platform to a fully functioning desktop one. Only difference and motivation is that the server software tends to be more relaxed when it comes to licensing and activation than its desktop counterpart.