Metal Gear Solid 4

CantiCanti =/= smalltimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Gaming
I've NEVER been so excited about the release of a game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02SIUaFXqI0
June 12th will be a great day.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    yah, im pretty glad i bought a ps3 for that game.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    There've been widely-reported rumors of 90-minute cutscenes. Not 90 minutes OF cutscenes.... not 90-minute cutscene.... 90-minute cutscenes.

Still looking forward to it.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited May 2008
    90 minutes?!?!? Blimey, I would love to play this game MGS FTW but unfortunately I do not hav a PS3! :(
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2008
    I just put my macbook up on craigslist so I can afford a ps2 and this game...

Also im playing through mgs, mgs2 and mgs3 till its out.

Im far too much of a metal gear solid fanboy -_-

Im also getting the ps3 mainly for this game.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    PREFACE: I know nothing about MGS.

For such a big budget game, that voice acting is TERRIBLE. Wtf.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    MSG voice acting has always been bad, but not bad enough to keep anyone from playing, a lot of the time its laughable a la 'You like Castlevania, don't you? hmmhmm'
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Do you even have a PS3 canti? Maybe one of our J-staff will have one and we can just "acquire" it :bigggrin:
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I wouldn't say MGS voice acting is great but it's far from bad. Resident Evil games (which I love) have BAD voice acting and there are games even worse. But I would rather have the original voice actors back than see them try to use big name actors over the ones MGS fans have come to know and love. (Anyone other than David Hayter voicing Snake would be a tragedy.) As far as 90 minute cutscenes go I say bring'em on, hell the ending could be 3 hours long and I wouldn't mind as long as it stays interesting and finally answers all the questions they left at the end of MGS2. I just hope they allow you to save at any point during the cutscenes. Metal Gear has long been more about storytelling than anything else. The gameplay is looking better than ever as well, I hear you can still play the game mostly by sneaking past enemies and avoiding firefights but people who always wanted to blast their way through the game will be able to do so. (This will be harder but you'll have more options than run or have your ass handed to you as in the first 3 games.)

Long story short, I freaking love Metal Gear Solid. And you should too :). If you've never played MGS I can't recommend any other series more highly.

And no Winfrey I don't have a PS3. Still gonna reserved a copy in Clinton before I go to camp :bigggrin:. I hope I can find a J-staff to confiscate a PS3 from but if not that's ok. I don't think I'll have the time I'd like to play it during the summer anyway but I figure I waited about 7 years since MGS2 I can wait another month and a half.

One last thing because I couldn't resist, referring to post #5,
    GRAY FOX!? It can't be!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    wait... is there a MGS3? You keep mentioning 2
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. I have the third.
    edited May 2008
    There's actually TWO MGS3s, aren't there? Subsistence and Snake Eater or something?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I don't know. There have been tons of metal gears. I started with tactical espionage because it looked like a cool game when I was like 11 years old. I fell in love with the game. The it all got fuzzy. They had vr missions which I really didn't like that much. After that I played MGS2 which was amazing, but after that I never heard of anything else except for the demo of snake eater which wasn't really all that impressive to me.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Ok, Metal Gear series breakdown.

Metal Gear - NES game, takes place in 1995

Metal Gear 2 - MSX2 game, takes place in 1997

Metal Gear Solid - PS1 game, takes place in 2005

Metal Gear Solid : The Twin Snakes - Gamecube game, remake of the original Metal Gear Solid. (Released between 2 and 3)

Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons Of Liberty / Substance - PS2 game, first half takes place in 2007, second half in 2009. (Substance was released after Sons Of Liberty, it's the same game but with a few hundred training missions, cutscene theater, skateboard mini-game and some other added bonuses.)

Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater / Subsistance - PS2 game, takes place in 1964. (Subsistence like Substance is the original game with bonus material. MGS3 goes back in time and tells the story of Solid Snake's father, Big Boss, who Snake killed in Metal Gear 2. It only helps explain a few things that happen later in the series and is more of a standalone story. My personal favorite not just of the series but of any game I ever played. The ending has been known to make even the manliest men cry like little girls, this may include me :(, seriously though it's pretty damn tragic.)

Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns Of The Patriots - PS3 game, takes place in 2014. (What happens? Who knows! Probably everything imaginable.)

There are a few spin-off games but they don't follow or fit in with the main story.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    The NES version was OMGWTF hard. I got halfway through a level, sneaking past all the guards, and with the next checkpoint in sight I got eaten by a dog.

I cried.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Indeed. I remember the first one on NES. I played that forever and still never beat it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2008
    Lord Canti wrote:
    Ok, Metal Gear series breakdown.

Metal Gear - NES game, takes place in 1995

Metal Gear 2 - MSX2 game, takes place in 1997

Metal Gear Solid - PS1 game, takes place in 2005

Metal Gear Solid : The Twin Snakes - Gamecube game, remake of the original Metal Gear Solid. (Released between 2 and 3)

Just a side note Twin snakes was released in 2004, MGS 2 is from 2001.

Also I like the original better then twin snakes. I found when they got rid of the bad cheesy ascents in the voice acting it wasn't as entertaining.

edit: I ment ps3 in my previous post.
    edited June 2008
    im going to get a PS3 today and pre-order this game, i <3 solid snake
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Looks really bad, and a terrible trailer at that.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Nomad wrote:
    Looks really bad, and a terrible trailer at that.
    What's with the negativity?
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    What's with the negativity?

I'm a big fan of MGS for PSX, and even liked Sons of Liberty a lot--but the recent installments have been hokey, this appears to be more of the same.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Yeh, but you can't make that judgement from a trailer. I'll give it a chance. Probably rent it before I buy it though.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    ITT - Canti knows his stuff.

I'm VERY excited about this game as well. I ve been a big fan of the MGS series since i first played MGS on my PS1. The game was WAY ahead of it's time, yet it still managed to stay afloat. A feat to be commended, most definitely.

I don't have a PS3, and as much as I love this series, I will not be buying the console just for it. It's not economically feasable. But, if Beyond Good and Evil 2 doesn't come out for PC, consider me sold on the PS3, and able to finish the series I've loved for years.

I'm staying away from most gaming forums once MGS4 comes out. I will NOT have it ruined.
  • edited June 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    There've been widely-reported rumors of 90-minute cutscenes. Not 90 minutes OF cutscenes.... not 90-minute cutscene.... 90-minute cutscenes.

Still looking forward to it.

I'm excited about that aspect alone! I'm a sucker for the stories..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Kotaku confirms that 90 minute cutscenes are not in MGS4.
    edited June 2008
    Link? Last I heard their review wasn't up because they haven't finished playing it (which was, uh, today).
    edited June 2008
    im about 6 hours in and so far the longest cutscene was about 20 minutes, followed by a boss you dun wana fight in the dark O.O
    edited June 2008
    KOTAKU epic fails, the last cutscene in the game, if you count the last fight with Liquid (which is pretty much an interactive cutscene)and the credits, it hit about the 90 minute mark.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    A cutscene is an SMV. Interactivity != cutscene, and MGS4's creator agrees. :P

The Kotaku quote was from whatshisface.
    edited June 2008
    what i ment by interactive cutscene is that when you press a button, a new cutscene starts showing snake beathing the crap out of liquid, and you do that till liquids heal is gone.