Games that have stolen our lives..

edited July 2008 in Gaming
Which games have kept you up all night..
That have broken you from your family..
That make you cry when you see the splash screen..

-Or maybe the games that have just kept you up all night in total utter addiction.

Diablo II.

Your turn.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I was a beta tester for Final Fantasy XI for four months.

I don't remember seeing my kids for those four months. Or my wife. I may have lost my job, can't remember. It's a blur.

When the game went retail, I had to stop myself from subscribing.

This is why I have avoided WoW like a plague.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Max Payne. Bought it saturday morning, played it until completion. I think I had a weekend go by but I cannot remember. It was and still is one of the most addictive games I have ever played. I still go through it sometimes and it has the same strange effect!
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    TF2! TF2! TF2! and the Half-Life series. When I first got Guitar Hero, I played it for weeks and only breaked for bathroom and food.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    In order, Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, WoW, TF2.

There are other great ones I could add that I didn't do ANYTHING else until they were beat (HL series, etc...) but the ones I listed stole MONTHS if not YEARS from my life.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    TIE Fighter, Red Alert, Total Annihilation, Counter-Strike, Everquest (pre-Luclin), Dungeon Siege, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty (entire series).

These are the games that made me forget time. Games that made me wonder why my room was getting light. Some even ended relationships (WoW, but because my girl would rather play WoW than get it on).
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited June 2008
    Final Fantasy Tactics.
    edited June 2008
    Which I am playing right now.

That game is SO deep. So much going on! I'm into chapter 4, I've got Orlandeau on my team, and I am still feeling there's a lot more coming up.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Dark Cloud 2, Red Alert 2, Morrowind, Oblivion. That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure there are a lot more.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    UNREAL TOURNAMENT!

Warcraft II
    Warcraft III
    Halflife 2
    Max payne
    Ninja Gaiden
    Halo 1 , 2 & 3
    TF2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HL2 Episode 1 & 2
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and 5
    BattleField 2

will continue to think of more
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited June 2008
    Unreal Tournament 2004 and Football Manager series.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Quake 2. I got so good at it that I, in all probability, could have gone pro with the game if there were leagues back then like there are now.

I can't even put into words how invincible I was in that game.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Star Craft, Unreal Tournament, Rouge Spear/Urban Ops.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Quake 2 (I think my friend and I stayed up playing 2 player matches with bots for a straight day once), Unreal Tournament (series), Red Alert 2, Diablo (stay awhile, and listen!), Final Fantasy Tactics (It's a good thing the new one on DS won't be released until after the lan!)

//thrax: there were leagues for quake2, and it was insane how good people were. Zanthian and I entered a nationwide 2v2 tournament and lost in the first round (mainly because we played the team that went on to win the entire tournament - THRESH was one of the two players...) Of course, I wasn't nearly as good at Quake2 as I got at UT later.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    beer pong
  • edited June 2008
    Which I am playing right now.

That game is SO deep. So much going on! I'm into chapter 4, I've got Orlandeau on my team, and I am still feeling there's a lot more coming up.

Restored pc without backing up game save! Now gotta fight my way back!
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited June 2008
    Medieval Total War 2
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Whatever the newest game is from each of these franchises:

Sid Meier's Civilization
    Elderscrolls
    SimCity

Also: I just lost a whole weekend to Protector.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited June 2008
    WoW for 3 years. Thats about it :) At least I was high end X_X;;;

Also ragnarok online 6 years ago was pretty fun I thought.

Maybe even the RTS Rise of nations, that was pretty fun
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Hmm,
    Command and Conquer (all of them apart from the fps)
    Warcraft 2 + Warcraft 3
    WoW (I lost over a year to this, now I am a WoW free zone after packing in due to the fact it had eaten my life and as I was the guild leader for the biggest horde guild on the server meant I had 2 management jobs, but only got paid for one)
    Championship Manager / Football Manager
    And my favourite games of all time,
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. A series that I still spend hours playing every week to this day.
    As you can see from the above, I like my RTS games.
    edited June 2008
    Another IC WoW casualty :D Welcome back to life, Necro! :p
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Starcraft, Tiberian Sun, Tiberium Wars, CS 1.6, CSS, BF2, BF2142, Metal Gear Solid, LOTRO, The Matrix Online, WoW, CoD2, CoD4, FFX, FFVI, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls III, Elder Scrolls IV, Red Orchestra, and Resident Evil 4 has taken most of my childhood form me =*(
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2008
    I thought there was only a couple until I read this thread.
    DeusX. All the Tomb Raiders (well, most). The first two thiefs. All the HL series. F.E.A.R. Bioshock. Crysis and Stalker.
    Online obsessions include UT, all the CoDs, Serious Sam,
    I wish there were more single player games like in my first bunch. Just replayed TR3+4 and Thief2 while I wait for the new TR.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Burnout 2, Dirt, Command and Conquer, Red Alert 1&2, Starcrafts, CS, CSS, TF2, NFS Underground & Blacklist.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited June 2008
    Diablo
    Diablo II
    Diablo II expansion

Counter-Strike
    Counter-Strike: Source

Half-Life Series
  • everyguyeveryguy El Cajon, California
    edited June 2008
    I don't touch the stuff. I have a wife who hates gaming, three kids who depend on me, and lotsa bills. I stopped playing computer games about 10 years ago, because I just can't control myself. I innocently start playing about once every six months ("I'll just try out this new game my son got for a few minutes..."), and it's guaranteed I'll be there 7 am the following morning with bleary eyes, and tired fingers, wishing I could sleep, but having to go to work. If there was a gamers anonymous, I'd be there every week saying "Hi, my name is David and I'm a gaming addict."
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    Hmm. No game has stolen my life. I bore of games too easy. Oblivion is the only thing I still play only because of how mod-able it is. If it were just a bit more however...I'd never stop. I need a game like Oblivion that tolerates animation modification. But right now I'm not playing a whole lot on integrated. I'd get a new card, but I'm waiting on the 4870. I want to see if ATI can get it over 1ghz like they promised.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Ultima II on the C64 started all these shenanigans, then came III, IV V and all the rest, including the Questron's and the Phantasie Series across many different platforms...

Good memories going through all the old games on wiki.... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Questron
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasie

Oblivion also chewed up 180+ hours of gameplay here... :)
    edited June 2008
    o phantasie. I do remember spending hours upon hours getting the GOD SWORD.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Any of the Civilization games, Heroes of Might and Magic games, and Total War games. If I ever start to play any of those then I had better have given myself a lot of future free time to play or else other things will stop getting done.

I also played Half-Life a ton, but compared to the hours I have sunk into the games mentioned above, its more like I have only played the demo instead of the 5-6 times through that I have actually played.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    Man, I can play Red Alert 2 for like, ever. My friends and I used to just make maps, and knock eachother's brains out in it. Now, C&C3 while we wait for RA3... But I think my favorite faction in RA2 was Yuri. Sure, Boris was cool, and the Kirov could level bases, but Yuri technically never ran out of money. Enemies would attack your base, you'd steal the unit and grind it. Instant money. Also, the Yuri slave miner...DIG DIG!! Get back to work! Man I just hope RA3 is just as good.