Introducing EPIC 2009 - The ExPo ICrontic

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Community
EPIC2009.png

With Icrontic LAN 2008 behind us, and everything fresh in our heads, we've gotten together over the last few days and held discussions about a great many aspects of the events, what makes them great, the downsides, and what we can do to make them even better.

We at Icrontic hereby announce that no longer will our big summer gathering be called IC LAN. From here forward it shall be known as The EPIC - Expo Icrontic.

We feel that this concept encompasses what we try to do with our annual gathering. Calling it a "LAN" just didn't cover what this thing was all about. LAN suggests computer gaming. Computer gaming is a core part of the gathering, true, but that makes every other awesome thing we do seem secondary. At IC LAN 08 we had a golf outing, a dedicated board gaming area, a rowdy social party, a multi-day food tour, an outdoor deep frying session, a Rock Band and console gaming area, jam sessions, and a duct tape building competition, just to name a few things. Clearly this is not a LAN party.

That's where some of the downsides come in. Those who want it to be a strict LAN party come away disappointed with certain aspects. We have taken a survey, talked to most of the attendees, and come up with an overall agenda for our events going forward.

The overall consensus is that everyone was pleased with almost everything. Instead of making drastic changes we felt that with some tweaks we can provide an even more awesome experience for EPIC 09.

We will be tweaking the rules for attendees to avoid inconvenience and discomfort for all guests. I'm going to go over some of the key problem areas for LAN 08 and give you our solutions:

• One of the primary problems with this year's LAN was sleeping accommodations: Next year we will have tweaked the tent arrangement, laid down rules about air mattresses, sleeping in the house, and placement of luggage and other personal belongings. No more "crash wherever you can find a spot" or winging it - "Hey, do you have a blanket?"
  • Toilet clogging and morning traffic jams for showers: We will be upgrading to a commercial toilet in the primary bathroom, and we will be providing at least one Port-A-Potty for outdoors. We will also put time limits on showers - no more 45 minute pampering sessions while 12 people are lined up outside the door, or possibly schedule shower slots throughout the day.
  • We will have all power issues worked out. Eric Ryder and Quinton Healy already have plans to fix this once and for all.
  • We will no longer have any confusion about gaming tournaments. Andrew Conrad and Bryan Miller have volunteered to step up and bring the tournament setup to the next level for us.
  • We will open up the property even more by changing a few rules - no more parking in the driveway, no more haphazard "put your tent wherever", everyone will have assigned tent spots
  • We will be providing security in the form of actual access control (literally, a velvet rope! Gotta have style!) and bouncers. No volunteer "attendee bouncers" - actual bouncers whose job it is to strictly work in shifts to keep stragglers out.
  • A new set of tools for team assignment. No more coin flips, excel spreadsheets, and white boards. Keebler is going to make this smooth. Teams will be ready to go before the scheduled game times. We won't spend the first 45-60 minutes picking teams.
  • A "Chinese Auction" for prizes. This way, people can put tickets in for prizes they really want instead of randomly getting something impractical or undesirable.
  • Pre-printed directions and assigned drivers for Food Tour events. No explanation necessary.
  • Increased IC Staff presence. We will be assigning more roles and staff members will have staff shirts so there will be no questions as to who can help you with whatever problems you are having. We'll have roles more spread out so we don't have poor Eric and Q doing 11tyhundred things at once.
  • Various other infrastructure improvements. Too numerous to mention, but we've got plans to do little upgrades and tweaks at ICHQ to make things better for everyone.
  • The tent will be COMPLETELY set up on time for next year. No more "piecemeal arrival on various days"

We feel that with the improvements we've come up with over the last few days, EPIC 09 will be the best Icrontic event yet. This year's was absolutely fantastic, and we're only going up from here.

See you all in 09!

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Very cool... I can't wait... I got two free RTs on Airtran thanks to being bumped off by a day... All I have to do now is schedule my wedding next summer so that it doesn't interfere with The EPIC...
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    ...wow.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    "EPIC"....really? I think that word is getting old and over used. I would suggest the Icrontic Expo '09.

I have an electronic module that you can set how long you want a shower. I can modify next year...if you like
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    j wrote:
    "EPIC"....really? I think that word is getting old and over used. I would suggest the Icrontic Expo '09.

I have an electronic module that you can set how long you want a shower. I can modify next year...if you like

The USS Curmudgeon needs its captain. Will you answer the call?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    j wrote:

I would suggest STFU and GTFO.:p
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    :scratch:
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I think Icrontapalooza would be good.:D
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    What's the difference between an Expo and a LAN?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Expo

LAN

Expo describes a broader range of activities, whereas LAN tends to signify gaming. The name change is to prevent the confusion that seems to have occurred in previous years.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I'd much rather see it called Prof. Ambrozy & Dr. Russell's Wonderful Societal Gatheration Holiday Exposition of Twenty-aught-nine!
    edited June 2008
    I tried looking up expo on wikipedia before I posted, but it lied to me. Boo to you wikipedia. I guess I'm just a little bit confused about what exactly determines an expo- normally when you think of expos you think of big events where are bunch of new items are displayed, or like the world fair, where the delights of a city are shown off. What exactly makes this an expo?
    edited June 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    I'd much rather see it called Prof. Ambrozy & Dr. Russell's Wonderful Societal Gatheration Holiday Exposition of Twenty-aught-nine!

Seconded.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    What exactly makes this an expo?
    That you'll be there. <3
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Outstanding. 2009 looks like it'll clear up many of the things I suggested in the survey. Props to organizers actually listening to the people for once!

Looking forward to it, a year is a long time to wait.

Plus, no more drunk neighbors just bumming around our event. That part sucked so bad.
    edited June 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Outstanding. 2009 looks like it'll clear up many of the things I suggested in the survey. Props to organizers actually listening to the people for once!

Looking forward to it, a year is a long time to wait.

Plus, no more drunk neighbors just bumming around our event. That part sucked so bad.

Oh c'mon, they were funny!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Oh c'mon, they were funny!

Funny until the one stepped on my foot as he was 'leaving' and spilled his beer.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I am with Buddy J on this, when people ask me where I was I want to bore them just with the name and stun them with the shear majesty at the same time.
    edited June 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Funny until the one stepped on my foot as he was 'leaving' and spilled his beer.

Oh that could have happened with anyone! I'm actually quite surprised it didn't happen with me, I'm very clumsy.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Kwitko wrote:
    I would suggest STFU and GTFO.:p

:thumbsup: I almost spit water out of my mouth what I read that
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Can't wait for '09. Sounds like it will be truly legendary.

:jared: cheers to a super badass '08 and :cheers3: cheers to an even better '09
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Prof. Ambrozy & Dr. Russell's Wonderful Societal Gatheration Holiday Exposition of Twenty-aught-nine!

i like this... it's very helium pirate.....
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited June 2008
    j wrote:

:confused: You mean a 'stop-watch'?
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    May I suggest A.C. in the tent? We had an unusually cool midsummer this year, but usually it's too hot and humid and full of man-stench in there to be comfortable, at least for me. I might actually bring a computer if that happened.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Bouncers and staff shirts for the win!

I just have one little thing:

The 'P' in EPIC should be lowercase to set-off the 'IC' from the rest of the word:

EpIC Expo

Hmm... maybe just make the IC a different color on the posters and such would work better... ;)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I know a great designer, but he happens to be banned . . .
    edited June 2008
    CB wrote:
    EpIC Expo

CB has an excellent point, but I still like BuddyJ's name better.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    I know a great designer, but he happens to be banned . . .

800pxfirenagincityhallerx5.png
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Guys.. its name is 2009 ExPo ICrontic

The word Epic in the title is just there for flair, IMO ;)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Guys.. its name is 2009 ExPo ICrontic

The word Epic in the title is just there for flair, IMO ;)

Sure sure, but people would be disappointed if I didn't have SOME kind of correction/suggestion to make... I mean: I have a reputation to uphold here.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    AC in the tent is extraordinarily expensive, and trust me I've looked into this:

$1800 for the unit for 4 days (That's more than the tent)

Also a DIESEL ****ING GENERATOR, running 24/7, which would be loud and obnoxious, and just.. no.