Windows Server 2003 Server Key Invalid.

A development server that has been running pretty smooth for some time now had a RAID 1 array crash. When I went to see if I could recover data I noticed that everything was gone, even when using data recovery tools. Not too much of a problem due to having data backups.

So I attempt to do a reinstall with the nice shiny Windows 2003 Standard disc and during the process I get the message that the key is invalid. The one who actually purchased the server with the 5CAL license does not remember where they purchased the server from.

I went to Microsoft's website and noticed they charge a pretty large amount for support. So does anyone know if it is possible to either get Microsoft to re-activate the key or some way to get the key from the disc so I can complete installation?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    I solved the problem by contacting a friend of mine who was able to get me in contact with Microsoft without having to pay for support. They fixed the problem with the key over the phone.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    You've got a good friend! He must deal with Microsoft a lot.