WLAN setup help

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited June 2008 in Science & Tech
I need some assistance in setting up a LAN in a building. I'm assuming it is a house from the info I have received. And due to the building, we cannot run cable, so we have to go wireless. The first LAN is upstairs and it has a DSL connection. There is a second LAN in the middle of the house and then two separate LANs on both sides of the second LAN.

So I thought about setting up a wireless bridge between the first and second lan. But what is the best way to get access to the other two LANs? I have been told that all LANs will have a switch for printers/PCs to hook up to.

Any ideas?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2008
    So you basically have 4 separate networks you want to connect together through wireless.

What you'll need is a wireless router on your dsl land (1) then on the other networks you'd need a wireless access points connected into a switch or have routers in each area that support WDS.

As for the printers easiest way is get wireless print servers or regular print servers and plug them into the switch/router at each location.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the reply. If we had two different access points in the home with the same ssid, would they conflict with each other?
    edited June 2008
    no the ssid's should be the same on all your AP's if they are all supposed to be the same network. However the channel's should all be different. If however each ssid is supposed to be a different network then they have to be different.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2008
    Sweet, thanks for the help. It seems like my boss wants QoS on these routers, so I got to go from there. Thanks again for the help.
    edited June 2008
    If you only have 1 router connecting to the internet, that's the only router that QoS needs to be on as that is where your bottleneck will be.