Display issue

edited July 2008 in Hardware
Hi, my sister recently installed the Sims 2 on our system, which not for the first time, didn't work and ended up constantly crashing the computer. However, before we uninstalled it, it left the screen resolution at 800x600 pixels, which i believe is what the game uses. I would imagine that normally the screen reverts back to 1024x768 or whatever it is specifically. However, when i try to do this via right click-->properties-->settings, it results in a very dodgy display, which is constantly flickering, especially when something is loading or taking up memory in the background! I'm not sure exactly how to solve this problem, and it's rather irritating. Furthermore, even after changing the resolution back, the font does not seem to be like it was before - this may be my imagine, but both the icons and the font seem bigger, and graphically not as good ... what do i have to do to be able to get the computer looking like it was before the install?
Any help much appreciated!
Cheers, Luke :)

Comments

• DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited July 2008
    Depending on your screen size, the res will be different. I usually recommend for 17" screens a res of 1024x768. If 19" 1280x1024. I usually recommend moving the slider to use the highest resolution without going under a refresh rate of 75Hz, unless using a LCD screen.

To fix the flickering problem, we need to change the refresh rate, which normally defaults to 60Hz, causing the screen to flicker. Depending on how sensitive your eyes are, some people see this flicker a lot worse than others, and some don't see it at all. Anyways to change it go back into the display properties and under the Settings tab, click on the Advanced button. Click on the Monitor tab. Make sure that "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is checked. Under screen refresh rate, click the drop down menu and select the highest setting available. If the setting does not work and makes your display all weird, do nothing and it'll revert back to the previous settings. Then try using the next lower one.