Security Enhancement

halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
edited July 2008 in Science & Tech
OK, well i was wondering if any one knows a good Firewall (The new Comodo release, sygate) I'm currently running straight threw a modem. And i was wondering if any one knows a good free proxy program... I don't like TOR because people can scan the servers for your cookie data.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    Any router will give you a hardware firewall layer. If you want to do proxying or anything more complex then you'll need a second machine running some kind of firewall appliance. This either could be a dedicated firewall box, a pc (typically running linux) that's running firewall and/or proxy software like squid, dans guardian and smoothwall. Alternatively you could use any computer install vmware on it and get one of the many free firewall appliances from the vmware market.

However as to which method to recomend really depends on what the rest of the network your putting it into looks like and how much traffic your driving through it.
  • halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
    edited July 2008
    Right now I'm at a family members house for like 2 more weeks. And well i don't feel like getting a router so its modem > Laptop I'm using it with caution. But i was wondering what firewall i should use right now I'm using COMODO (The new one that was just released) But some guy who lives next door gave us a router that doesn't work... the power input burnt out :( then he said why don't you just use a software proxy, and a good software firewall. I'm not having much luck finding a proxy i heard of hide my ip platnium but i got to pay for that:(

EDIT: I'm running threw Proxy/VPN and i have a firewall running, i think I'm secure. But is sygate outdated, are their a lot of exploits for it? Should i keep using COMODO or is there a better firewall out?
    edited July 2008
    For 2 weeks turn on windows firewall you'll be fine.
    edited July 2008
    Well 12 days is a lot... What if i get port scanned??? Or some random "hacker" is scanning the net and finds my real ip with port XXXX open then runs an exploit? I'm most likely screwed: So for internet surfing, IM chats, and Games I'm secured with VPN, Proxy but what firewall should i use? I've found this program called "Defense Wall" That seems to be pretty good.
    edited July 2008
    Well 12 days is a lot... What if i get port scanned??? Or some random "hacker" is scanning the net and finds my real ip with port XXXX open then runs an exploit? I'm most likely screwed: So for internet surfing, IM chats, and Games I'm secured with VPN, Proxy but what firewall should i use? I've found this program called "Defense Wall" That seems to be pretty good.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    ur worring too much 12 days windows firewall ur fine
    edited July 2008
    Seriously you are worrying way to much. Windows Firewall is actually a relitively decent program. If you are worried about your visibility. Turn it on and then go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 it'll check your vulnerability to the net.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    You're one person on the net. No one cares that much about a single person. There are bigger fish to fry in their eyes. The chances of anything happening to you are pretty much zero.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Honestly, you probably ARE going to get hacked, and they're gonna get some bugs in there. At that point, the only way to make sure you're clean is to throw the computer in the microwave and put it on high for around 4 minutes. That should clean the buggers out.
    edited July 2008
    I did a scan on that website and only like 6 ports where stealth on my computer when i had kerio personal firewall on and repeated with windows firewall about 4 ports where stealth.

This guy says differently http://www.pcworld.com/article/17759/make_your_pc_hackerproof.html he said in one night he got "hacked" but they where skiddie based on what he said because they couldn't figure out the password. Or they weren't able to "brute force" his password... But this doesn't matter anymore because i'm here for only 11 more days.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2008
    Why do you need a proxy ?.

Are you spamming message boards or something.

Also if someone really wants to track you down they are other things that your proxy won't prevent them from doing.

And your cookies will be viewable no mater what proxy you use.

As long as you keep your windows up to date and you don't run services you don't need you will be fine.

Also make sure your account has a password set I recommend a 8 digit randomly generated password or greater.

If your worried about physical security as well enable EFS in windows on your profile or checkout something like truecrypt.

Also disable lmhash's and switch to ntlm or ntlm2 hashes for your password.

edit: Also pull Windows file sharing out of your network adapter's protocol list.
    edited July 2008
    GrayFox wrote:
    Why do you need a proxy ?.

Are you spamming message boards or something.

Also if someone really wants to track you down they are other things that your proxy won't prevent them from doing.

And your cookies will be viewable no mater what proxy you use.

As long as you keep your windows up to date and you don't run services you don't need you will be fine.

Also make sure your account has a password set I recommend a 8 digit randomly generated password or greater.

If your worried about physical security as well enable EFS in windows on your profile or checkout something like truecrypt.

Also disable lmhash's and switch to ntlm or ntlm2 hashes for your password.

edit: Also pull Windows file sharing out of your network adapter's protocol list.

First no, I'm not spamming message boards I'm in IRC rooms. There's all ways an annoying a$$ hole, so then i tell him to shut the f*ck up then he claims he is going to hack me... He showed me my real ip :eek: and claimed he was going to DoS me then i remembered no router :( open ports.

So i thought he would flood me, but due to quick thinking i told him it was a proxy ip* he called me a b*tch and told me to stop hiding and soon forgot about my real ip (didn't bother to test that ip if it was a fake or not) so then i found a VPN that automatically sends me threw a proxy.

So then i downloaded sygate firewall and scanned it about half the ports where stealth but then it also alerted me "incoming port scan from IP: XXXX" when i tested it.

Well Im going threw a private proxy so i would assume that no body could obtain my cookie information. And second I'm trying not to access pay pal or other credit services on my laptop. Also I've disabled all unnecessary processes. And lastly my windows password is 4 letters and digits, which i use for most of my computers. Like 2 years ago my dad dropped a computer off at a computer repair store to get it cleaned up because my brother installed kaza on it, and this guy tried too get the password for like 3 hours and couldn't figure it out or crack it...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Because a guy at a computer repair shop is a fantastic representation of the hacking community.