Brews to Avoid Thread

QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
edited July 2008 in Food & Drink
Okay, we've all given out the names of our favorite brews- now I'd like to give us a chance to save a bro/sis a few bucks and and advise them of what we think came from somewhere besides a brewery. Since I'm (and maybe you are) not good at remembering them, this may be updated periodically as we come across them.

Me-

Widmer Broken Halo IPA

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Qeldroma wrote:

LOL, I buy a 6 of that every few months. Granted, I am partial to IPA right now, but I like it. It's not great, but I agree 100% with the reviewer in the link you gave:

"In terms of session beer... no way. But a single beer after work, definitely yes."
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    LOL, I buy a 6 of that every few months. Granted, I am partial to IPA right now, but I like it.

Yeah, we do run the risk of offending someone else's preferences here, and if I & the family hadn't tossed the rest of that 6, we'd've been glad to send it to you.

Still, don't be afraid to say what you don't like here- someone else with similar taste may be grateful in knowing what to avoid :) .
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier

failbeer2.jpg
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Grans Sommerøl! Steer clear.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I'm really, really not a big fan of Shinerbock...yeah I know whatever it's mass produced, but I have friends who drink it like water and I'm like...gagging to death.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Blue Moon harvest moon pumpkin ale:

this beer fails in so many ways that your heart is so broken it cant handle that it's an ok beer....if you dont expect ANY pumpkin flavor.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Any of the watery beer-flavored beverages such as Bud, Miller, Coors, Michelob. (The light versions thereof are worse, only have a hint of beer flavor, like a fleeting memory.)

Oh, my bad, the question was about beer. OK back on topic.

Qeldroma, it may be that you just don't like India pale ale recipe beers. I'm not too fond of them either, from any brewery. I recognize the ones I've tried as finely crafted beers, but the style just doesn't appeal to me.

IPA was developed for British sailors for long sea routes, such as England to India. Those passages could take many weeks, or even months, and the extended storage time in barrels in combination with hot summer weather near the Indian subcontinent would render the traditional ales stale before the long voyages ended. The brewers discovered that doubling the hops would produce beer resistant to spoilage. The flavor that you find distasteful is probably the intense hops.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Ibita's Purple Haze. Nasty stuff. Thought my wife would like it, but I was wrong.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Blackbull...One of the first things I ever drank

Nasty stuff I tell ya...
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Bare Knuckle Stout. The worst stout I have ever tasted. I would rather drink a Guinness from a can or bottle than this crap. How ever, I will say that when mixed half and half with Amberbock (Amberbock then Barenuckle poured properly) I makes a nice black and tan. But just straight Bareknuckle.... wretched.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I had a bare knuckle Stout in a Black&Tan with Bass, very nice. Not had one alone to comment.

The one off the top of my head is Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ale. After hearing the horror stories my buddies told I just had to try one. And I finished it to give it a chance. The taste is just wrong. I will drink GALLONS of other Sam Adams :beer:, Old Fezziwig Ale gets the big :thumbsdow

Oh and any beer that its main sell is fruit. Just because its called Apple Brew, does not make it beer nor does it make it tasty as it may sound. The sole exception to this rule is the Unibroue Éphémère. Apple and Black Current both very tasty, though I can only have a 12 oz to sip on. They come in 750ml bottles but its just to much.

-Bobby
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008

failbeer2.jpg

Yuck, thats beer? looks like flat soda, i wouldent drink that even if i was of age...
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    ZiegenBock Amber

This is the best Anheuser-Busch beer I've ever had. It exists solely to compete with ShinerBock in Texas and it fails horribly. It is watery, over carbonated, and the worst part is I have 5 more.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Bobby1211 wrote:
    The one off the top of my head is Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ale. After hearing the horror stories my buddies told I just had to try one. And I finished it to give it a chance. The taste is just wrong. I will drink GALLONS of other Sam Adams :beer:, Old Fezziwig Ale gets the big :thumbsdow
    I completely disagree. Not to be had by the case, but it's definitely something I enjoy having a few of around the holidays. I hunt down a holiday variety case whenever I can to secure 4 of them (plus, what was it, the [strike]Yuletide[/strike]? Holiday Porter! Those are good in small annual quantities as well). Now, their Cranberry Lambick (also in the same variety pack last I got one) is to be avoided at all costs! Horrid beer.
    edited July 2008
    I am intrigued by this cranberry lambic.....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    As am I.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    It's awful. No lie. You can have all of it when I find a variety pack this winter.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited July 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    ZiegenBock Amber

This is the best Anheuser-Busch beer I've ever had. It exists solely to compete with ShinerBock in Texas and it fails horribly. It is watery, over carbonated, and the worst part is I have 5 more.

Lot of people don't know about the brews there 'round Shiner. I have relates in Kerrville, Boerne, and Camp Verde and get taken out for a micro brew or wine when I'm there. I hear that the place was full of German pacifists who wanted to make beer instead of war-

Peace, Bro.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    It's awful. No lie. You can have all of it when I find a variety pack this winter.

This is exactly what I was told by my buddies about Old Fezziwig. I understand the intrigued. I believe they stated the Cranberry was good. Different Strokes....

-Bobby
    edited July 2008
    Well now you know I HAVE to try Old Fezziwig as well...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2008

Pronounced like the sounds I made when I was ghoosing all over the place: "Raaaaauuuuuuuchhhhhh!"
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I just wanted to add another beer to this. Jinx from Magic Hat Brewing Company. I've never seen it in more than a variety pack, but man the stuff tastes like it was smoked...literally, over a fire. I've never had a beer with such a smokey taste. It's awful.

I'm a huge fan of everything by Dogfish Head Brewing Company but I just can't handle the Immort Ale. It's...it's just lacking and can only be bought by the bottle around here. The 120 Minute IPA and World Wide Stout though....*drool*