Internet won't connect!

edited January 2009 in Internet & Media
My Aunt's internet isn't working. When she asked me to fix it it,(On Vista) the diagnose and repair found the local area connection wasn't on. I clicked repaired and was encountered with "Windows tried a repair but a problem still exists. This computer has limited or no connectivity". The options are to reset the network adapter, get new IP settings for the network adaptor or telling the PC its a problem with the router. I tried all of these, and connected my laptop to the router wirelessly and got connection just fine. I tried installing a netgear wireless adaptor but would not connect to the router for some unknown reason. Please advise.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Didn't work.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    Ever think to replace the network card...? I would've started there if I could use a device on the same cable and it worked.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Reset the router (or just unplug it, let it sit for a minute, and plug it back in). Try again.

Is the connection wired or wireless?

If this is a wired connection, is the orange light on the Ethernet card (where the Ethernet cable plugs in the back of the computer) on/blinking?
    • If no, you probably have a hardware problem. Try a different router port. Then try a new cable. Then try a new network card.
    • If yes, you probably have a software problem. Go to Start -> Run -> Type 'cmd' and press Enter -> In the command window, type 'ipconfig', press Enter, and tell us what it says (all of it).
    What OS is your laptop running?

When did the problem start? Was it working fine and then it just cut off one day?
  • edited July 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    Reset the router (or just unplug it, let it sit for a minute, and plug it back in). Try again.

Is the connection wired or wireless?

If this is a wired connection, is the orange light on the Ethernet card (where the Ethernet cable plugs in the back of the computer) on/blinking?
    • If no, you probably have a hardware problem. Try a different router port. Then try a new cable. Then try a new network card.
    • If yes, you probably have a software problem. Go to Start -> Run -> Type 'cmd' and press Enter -> In the command window, type 'ipconfig', press Enter, and tell us what it says (all of it).
    What OS is your laptop running?

When did the problem start? Was it working fine and then it just cut off one day?

The OS is Vista.
    The problem started around 8th or 10th of July. It was working one day then didn't the next.
    Its a wired connection.
    The Orange light is blinking.
    ipconfig says:
    .......................................................................................................

Cant give you that. My Aunt wont let me give info like that away- she's afraid of any danger. Sorry. Forget it.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    ipconfig says:
    .......................................................................................................

Cant give you that. My Aunt wont let me give info like that away- she's afraid of any danger. Sorry. Forget it.
    That info will be internal on the other side of the firewall, nobody could use that info to find you :)

That will not be the IP that is external to the router, which is where someone could "find" you.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    Also, little bit of knowledge for you to know.

If you use the internet, someone can find you. That IP output is pasted everywhere you point your browser. If I felt so inclined I could procure your ip by posting a jpeg with some carefully chosen code, and it would dump anyone's IP that viewed it to a text file.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    That will not be the IP that is external to the router, which is where someone could "find" you.
    Not only is the information from the ipconfig benign, but this forum automatically logs your external IP the minute you connect to the site. :rolleyes: Any site does. That's the info someone would want to target you, not the internal ipconfig for that system.

The ipconfig will tell you if you're successfully getting a good address from your router. Your router is actually your best defense against getting "hacked" because it makes it hard enough to get through that 99% of the hackers in the world wouldn't bother with you.

If your Aunt thinks she knows more about Internet security than us, perhaps she should be troubleshooting her own connection.
  • edited January 2009
    I have exactly d same problem, i typed d ipconfig on my vista and it started with 'Windows IP Configuration'
    *Wireless LAN adapter wireless network connection
    *Ethernet adapter local area connection
    *Tunnel adapter local area connection* 6
    *Tunnel adapter local area connection* 15
    *Tunnel adapter local area connection* 16
    *Tunnel adapter local area connection* 7
    *Tunnel adapter local area connection* 19
    Under each of these* was ''Media state.... :media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix''. The cable wasn't connected at the time though.