USB HD...Ding Dong...but not there

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited July 2008 in Hardware
Plug the sucker in to my Laptop and all works fine...but plug the sucker into my Desktop and it does the finding new HW thing and says its good to go...but cant see it...

What gives?

I put a driver disk that came w/ it...but cant figure out how to make it work...its just files....

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    start - run - diskmgmt.msc

Initialize disk with right click.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited July 2008
    thrax...

need a little more than that...i did it and it just brought up a window...with all the disks that are there...

and as before the USB one isnt..
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited July 2008
    Are you plugging in your USB HD on your desktop into a HUB or front usb slot? Try plugging it into the back USB ports that are attached directly to the motherboard. This happened before and it was that the HD wasn't getting enough power from the USB.
    edited July 2008
    i am plugging it into the front of a MLTICF thing...

But the HD light is on and it does DING ....but will give it a whirl
    edited July 2008
    yep...that did...it showed up in the back...then after messing around and about to move some files over...BSOD

Restart and go to move a Movie over from HD to USBHD about 700MB...and it gives some delay write error...never seen something like that before....ideas?
    edited July 2008
    Ok...its my DT PC...

I just took the USBHD and hooked it to my LT...and am now transfering the movie via WIFI so....whats the deal?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2008
    You're doing it wrong?

Is the hard drive root powered, or does it use external power? Did you read the instruction manual that came with it?
    edited July 2008
    doing it wrong?

LOL...its a USB HD...its suppose to be PnP...lol

No Manual....

No power plug just a usb cord....

I plugged into my LT and it worked fine...but as usual...plug into DT...and things go crazy...nothing works w/ both...lol...story of my life...

So wise one...fill me in...

How do i do it correctly?

PS...where u been?
    edited July 2008
    I've been working heavily with some associates with some problems facing them.

I'm just teasing by saying you're doing it wrong. My guess is that if it won't work on the desktop PC, it's because the USB voltage is too low for some reason, Get a multimeter and check your PSU's 5v (red cable and ajacent black) and report back with the findings.
    edited July 2008
    would that account for the write delay error?

I am running all 4 rear USB's and then the front multi thing that hooks to the onboard USB....
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I could go with that. Seems logical. Might want to try unplugging some of that stuff, and then giving it a whirl.
    edited July 2008
    Nope..not it...I just unhooked all but my usb/wireless Keyboard/mouse setup and same thing...tried to copy over a couple of gb of data from the DT to the USBHD and it DING DONGED and then came back DING DONGED....

HMMM....something screwy going on here...
    edited July 2008
    Might be similar to a problem I'm having with a USB key. I plug it in, it sees it, then it sees it again and again and again. I don't have a solution for that yet. If it works on the laptop, just use the laptop for now.
    edited July 2008
    here is the thing...i am downloading movies and just wanting to put them on the USBHD that way when i am off to work...overnight i can just grab the HD and movies and go....know what i mean....

Doing this way i have to bring my LT in from the car or office every time i want to put a new movie on the HD...pain...
    edited July 2008
    There are a number of things that can cause a delayed write failure. I'd suggest going through google to find an answer.
    edited July 2008
    its obvious the delayed write is the HD disconnecting and reconnecting...right...
    edited July 2008
    More than likely, yes
    edited July 2008
    well then google wont help much...lol...sry...had to go there...thought maybe you were trying to get a rise...lol

YAD...any other thoughts...surely its not this smoken board u hooked me on too...lol...

THrax..Kryst?

Cant be a driver thing since it works as long as its not under heave stress...

Its just seems to be w/ heavy file transfers and only on the DT not the LT...

Like right now....it is hooked to my LT I am watching a movie on my DT via WIFI while copying a 4gb file over from my DT to it via WIFI...

CRAZY!!!
    edited July 2008
    Well it's obviously your desktop doesn't like your HD, as you say it works fine on your laptop. So it has to be that your usb on your desktop is not giving the drive enough power. My only other thoughts are to get a new desktop.
    edited July 2008
    lol...its a custom...check the specs...

Not smoking...i know..but not standard either....as needed...i upgrade...but all worked fine till this prick of an USBHD

I would get a new HD before a DT...the HD was 25 bucks...lol...
    edited July 2008
    Yeah just replace an entire computer because of one device being finnicky. WOW that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Seriously, if the drive isn't working on the desktop, it doesn't mean replace the computer. It means that there might be a conflict with something, or the controller isn't supplying exactly enough voltage. Give your PSU a voltage test. Check the 5V and give me the voltage.
    edited July 2008
    k...will grab the meter tomarrow...brass is coming to scrutinize a case tommarrow...

Update in the PM Est...

TX