Help needed installing a .run file (CentOS 5)

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited August 2008 in Science & Tech
I'm trying to install some ATI drivers for a CentOS 5 installation and I'm having a lot of trouble. I have downloaded the file (ati-driver-installer-8-7-x86.x86_64.run), logged in as root and navigated to the file in terminal and typed in the filename which the installation guide says to do, but I get
bash: ati-driver-installer-8-7-x86.x86_64.run: command not found

Any idea on what I am doing wrong? I checked the properties of the file, and checked to all it to be executed as a program. I'm a complete newbie to linux as well.

EDIT: Well I just navigated to the file through the file system and double clicked on it and it seems to be working. I also changed the permissions for others to read and write.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    # chmod +x ati-driver-installer-8-7-x86.x86_64.run
    # ./ati-driver-installer-8-7-x86.x86_64.run
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Shwaip. I managed to get the drivers installed, but now CentOS will not load because it says something about server-x graphics settings. I guess I screwed something up along the way of installing the drivers. I'll try to play around with it this weekend. Linux can be so aggravating sometimes.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Configuring+the+fglrx+driver+for+ATI+graphics+chips+in+CentOS+and+RHEL+5
    Generally speaking, you should never install software that isn't maintained by your package manager, especially if it's a core system library or driver.

Also, just out of curiosity, why CentOS?

-drasnor :fold:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2008
    Our DNS servers are running Bind on CentOS. Our network and servers were all setup before I start working for the company, so I got to work with what they have.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    What graphics cards are in these servers that you need the ATI binary driver to use? The ATI driver off their website is only for Radeon 9500 and newer cards. It won't work with the integrated Rage 128's I normally see in servers. You have to use the 'radeon' driver bundled with X for that. The easiest thing to do is just go to the Device section of your xorg.conf file and set Driver to "radeon". Any relatively recent X server will be able to autoprobe and figure out the rest.

• jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
    edited August 2008
    drasnor wrote:
    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Configuring+the+fglrx+driver+for+ATI+graphics+chips+in+CentOS+and+RHEL+5
    Generally speaking, you should never install software that isn't maintained by your package manager, especially if it's a core system library or driver.

Also, just out of curiosity, why CentOS?

Why not CentOS? RHEL (and CentOS by extension) is a very highly rated OS.