Wanting new system tonight

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Hardware
Well tonight is too late for getting a reply, but hopefully in the morning someone will have pointed me in a good direction. I am looking to build a system for watching movies and browsing the web from my TV so I need a system preferably SFF and $200-$300 with HDMI or DVI capability. VGA will not work.

Eventually, I'll upgrade it as I go but for this price I am unsure if I want to go with AMD or Intel and I haven't been keeping up with the latest on chipsets and such so I don't know that either.

Again, preferably SFF and about $200 but can work with larger systems upwards to $300. Must have DVI or HDMI. And I already have a HDD and DVD-ROM which saves me some money.

Thanks guys, I'd appreciate any help I can get. Eventually, I may add a TV Tuner so I can record movies and such as a HTPC as well.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Even going cheaply as possible, $300 is going to get wrecked by the mobo and chip alone.
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    Case/Power supply combo - Linkworld 3230-09-C2222U
    Video Card - EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB
    Memory - OCZ Platinum (2 x 1GB)
    Mobo - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7
    CPU - Pentuim Dual core

Pricing:
    Case/Power supply combo - $29.99
    Video Card - $69.99
    Memory - $19.49 after $30 mail in rebate
    Mobo - $79.99 after $10 mail in rebate
    CPU - $79.99
    Total = $280

Case combo isn't much to talk about, but you will be able to OC your Pentium to around 2.9GHz without an issue. My buddies brother clocked his Pentium Dual core at 2.8GHz and it runs at 44c under load. Hope it helped, I had a good time on Newegg! :cheers:
    edited August 2008
    That video card does not have HDMI, and those components do not have optical audio which is a must if you're going to pair it with HDMI from a video card. Video card HDMI does not carry audio.
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    That video card does not have HDMI, and those components do not have optical audio which is a must if you're going to pair it with HDMI from a video card. Video card HDMI does not carry audio.

Reply:
    RWB wrote:
    Must have DVI or HDMI.
    edited August 2008
    Audio still applies.
    edited August 2008
    My fix with this in my home setup was to just take an old set of headphones and cut the buds off at the end, take a set of cheap A.V. cables and string em together. Works great and only costed me a few cents.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    TvManPwns wrote:
    My fix with this in my home setup was to just take an old set of headphones and cut the buds off at the end, take a set of cheap A.V. cables and string em together. Works great and only costed me a few cents.

I would just spend an extra thirty bucks and get a sound card with Optical out
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102023.
    edited August 2008
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']I would just spend an extra thirty bucks and get a sound card with Optical out

That works to! :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Thrax and everyone for your input, I suppose I am a bit too out of it as I am unsure what the audio issue is that you guys are talking of. I see the Motherboard has that green audio out which I have a plug that goes from that to a red and white RCA port which I can plug into my PC with.

One thing about the audio system is that when it comes to living with others or an apartment you can't really get something nice anyways. But that card looks real good for this system and price ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    How about this?

<table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="670"><tbody><tr><td>Qty.</td><td>Product Description</td><td>Savings</td><td>Total Price</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>1</td><td>11-192-061-TS?$S60$Athena Power CA-2852B Black Computer Case
    Item #:N82E16811192061
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    addToCart.gifAdd this item to your cart

</td><td> -$10.00 Instant
    </td><td>$28.99
    $18.99</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>1</td><td>13-135-066-03.jpgECS GF7100PVT-M Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #:N82E16813135066
    Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

</td><td> -$10.00 Instant
    $10.00 Mail-in Rebate
    </td><td>$59.99
    $49.99</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>1</td><td>19-116-064-02.jpgIntel Celeron E1200 1.6GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
    Item #:N82E16819116064
    Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

</td><td>
    </td><td>$49.99</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>1</td><td>20-227-139-09.jpgOCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Memory
    Item #:N82E16820227139
    Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy

</td><td>$30.00 Mail-in Rebate
    </td><td>$49.49</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>1</td><td>17-103-428-08.jpgSPARKLE ATX-300GT 300W Power Supply
    Item #:N82E16817103428
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

</td><td>
    </td><td>$23.99</td></tr><tr align="right"><td colspan="3">Grand Total:</td><td>$192.45</td></tr></tbody></table>
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2008
    You should probably go amd. AMD's latest chipsets have HDMI on the boards and you can get a quality brand such as asus.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI

Im a big fan of the M3A78 its makes a great media center pc its also sopost to be fast enough to play bluray back as well.

We have been building most of are lower end amd system's with this board where I work.

Just add a psu case and ram and you should be good to go.

Just remember that almost all new boards only have one ide channel.
    Thrax wrote:
    Video card HDMI does not carry audio.

ATI's 3000 series and up with native HDMI support has audio as (Provided through a realtek chip)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    OK well I was given a computer instead, half of it was mine anyways.... so I bought an XBOX 360 instead lol

That damned Final Fantasy thing got me :P
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2008
    Check out media center extender its probably the best feature on the 360.