Icrontic reviews AMD's Radeon HD4870

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Science & Tech
And comes out quite pleased. Read on to find out what Mas0n liked so much about it.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Well done mas0n!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    Great write-up, mas0n! What a fantastic card. If I were to buy a card today, this would be it! :D
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Nice review Mas0n! kinda makes me want to get rid of my 8800gts 640!!
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited August 2008
    I've been impressed with your developing insight into PCs, Matthew, and the freedom with which you share some of them. The Folding information was a nice touch and if you're into it, Zuntar, you may want to hang on to that GTS until they update the F@H GPU client- cause the GTS pwns it and even my HD3870 pretty much outdoes this board.

I think this series could be rescuing AMD right now from an otherwise unknown fate. It apparently scales uncommonly well in X2 and multi-GPU configurations. I'm tempted, but I'm too much into Folding to jump (hint, hint) and have been actually perusing nVidia for that reason.

Good job!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    The 3800 saved them from an unknown future. The 4800 series cements it.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the compliments! I think my next article may need to be on some aftermarket coolers for this beast. So far I have a Xigmatek Battle-Axe and Thermaltake DuOrb.

:cheers:
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited August 2008
    Great review. They haven't shrunk the card size I see.

Why no comparison benchmarks?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    stoopid wrote:
    Great review. They haven't shrunk the card size I see.

Why no comparison benchmarks?

I'm glad you liked the review. I don't forsee board sizes changing significantly anytime soon. I think the market has established sizes that consumers will tolerate and the manufacturers will continue to cram as much as they can into these form factors. Also, if you look at the pictures of the VRM area on this board you can see that there is room for expansion. This makes it easier to release higher end parts in the future using the existing package.

Unfortunately I did not have any other cards available at the time of review. However, I tried to pick benchmarks that people are familiar enough with that a fairly accurate assessment could be made.