Want to build my own computer - help me pick out parts please?

edited September 2008 in Hardware
Hi Everyone, As some of you know I'm in the market to buy a new computer & am frustrated with it. I'm now considering building my own computer. I've thought about it & some suggested it...why not see what's out there. No way can I do it on my own though when it comes to picking out the right parts. Putting it together physically, I have no worries about it.

My budget is $600 - $700 TOTAL...that means the parts, s/h, taxes. I have $300 put aside & am waiting on my renter's credit check which should be here between now & the next couple weeks.

My current system is 4 years old bought off ebay, nothing fancy but has done the job. AMD 1.9Ghz processor, 1 gig RAM, 60 gig HD, added Geforce 4 Ti 4600 128 mg card.

I feel I have out grown my current system. I like to play games online & I can tell my system is barely keeping up. Probably a reformat would cure some of that but it's 4 years old & I'm ready for something better. I have been looking at computers on ebay for weeks & just like with all other shopping (yes I'm a girl, I promise lol) I am hating it. I think it would be a fun & satisfying experience to build my own system. Want to help me figure it out & go shopping with me?

What I think I want so far (am open to other suggestions) is the following: Intel dual core or core 2 duo processor, at least 250 gig HD (can be more or less, price might decide) 4 gigs RAM would be sweet but absolutely no less than 2 gigs, lightscribe drive, whatever fans needed providing they are as quiet as possible, most likely will go with XP Home for the OS.

It was pointed out I may not save a lot of money by building my own system but if I can save at least some money I can apply it towards getting a flat panel either now or in another month or so.

I hope I've provided enough information, if not ask me what else you need to know. Looking forward to your input! ~Xen

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Do you need a monitor, keyboard or mouse?

//EDIT: If you don't, I wrote an article here that has an amazing PC for $600+ shipping. It'd blow your current PC away, and it's quite inexpensive!
  • edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Do you need a monitor, keyboard or mouse?

OMG Thrax that was fast, lol! I am happy with my keyboard, will need a 2nd when I set up my old computer as a back-up. I use the natural style keyboard, can't type well on the "normal" ones, lol. Same with my Logitech Trackman cordless wheel mouse, I love it. Will need mouse for old system when it's set up. Monitor...I have a really decent one but would love to get a flat panel for new computer & use this one with the old system. Why are you asking, you got stuff for sale hun? ~Xen
    edited August 2008
    Well, I was asking because it reduces the price of the system by a lot if you can reuse your existing monitor/keyboard/mouse. It really lets you buy a GOOD computer instead of a mediocre computer by saving that money. Also note that I edited my original post.
  • edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Well, I was asking because it reduces the price of the system by a lot if you can reuse your existing monitor/keyboard/mouse. It really lets you buy a GOOD computer instead of a mediocre computer by saving that money. Also note that I edited my original post.

LOL that's the $300 I have now, my stimulus check. I got less cuz I'm on disability. The rest is my renter's credit check for $347. I have a little in my online savings if needed. Is this a shopping list to build your own system? This is my impression.
    edited August 2008
    Yes it is. :) With links to all the parts and why I picked 'em.
  • edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Yes it is. :) With links to all the parts and why I picked 'em.

Hi Thrax :) Everything you listed is from the same website. It's not a very budget friendly site for me compared to ebay. I know, I know, some of you don't like ebay, personally I love it. For example, I just found a case that includes a 550 watt power supply for under $60 total. Is this a quality case with a quality & more importantly....quiet PSU? I don't know but the savings is definitely worth looking into, just saying. ~Xen
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Please also check out Icrontic's marketplace, where you can put in a part and find the lowest possible price for it.

Do not trust ebay for computer parts. Please. A "550w PSU" in a case for $60 is very, very likely a low quality piece of junk that could potentially harm your other components, or at the bare minimum be underpowered and inadequate for any sort of modern computer.
  • edited August 2008
    I havnt found a place cheaper than newegg for most components for computers
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I ran one up on Newegg yesterday.

mobo Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L $85 (with free 2 MB USB flash)
    CPU E8400 ...... in a combo with
    PSU Thermaltake Purepower 500W $220
    mem OCZ Crossfire 2x1GB DDR2 800 $46
    video Radeon HD 4850 $170
    HDD Samsung Spinpoint 500GB $70
    DVD Lite-On $30

This is $620 and the shipping will be less than $20.
    Right now these items also come with a total of $50 in rebates.

I left out a case. Pick one up locally that you like the looks of.
    Without a PSU it should only be $40.
    edited August 2008
    I don't know - the more I've been checking out our pricegrabber page, the more I've been finding parts that are slightly cheaper than newegg. Look at the "bottom line" price - Many places have free shipping, which ends up making them cheaper than the egg.

Newegg's customer service is second to none, but they're not the end-all be-all of computer parts shops.
    edited August 2008
    Plenty of places are often cheaper than the Egg. Few offer the peace of mind.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Plenty of places are often cheaper than the Egg. Few offer the peace of mind.

Thats why I still use Newegg for almost everything; prices are good (not the best) but the service, shipping, and return claims (if you end up having to make one) are excellent.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    sadly i actually still buy everything locally, I use the egg for product shopping and just people reviews. Plus I shop where I work so I can do things, no longer will I ever RMA. Though for building a system all off one site I would say do the egg because it usually evens out and less headaches if something has to go back.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Xendora, I would not recommend buying from eBay in your circumstances:

1. I mean no disrespect when I say this, but you aren't at the point where you can tell what is quality hardware and what isn't. The $60 case is a perfect example of this. The vast majority of power supplies included with budget cases are very low quality and often times cause system instability at a minimum, and at a maximum can fry your processor, motherboard, hard drive, memory and video card. Unless you really know what you're looking at, it's best to stay away.

2. Being on a limited income, eBay doesn't provide you with any sort of fall-back option should you be scammed or sent defective parts. When dealing with computer hardware, there are no guarantees, but when shopping from a good retailer, you can return defective hardware without issue.

Thrax's suggestion of using Newegg, and Primesuspect's suggestion of using the Icrontic Marketplace are both quite valid. If you use the marketplace, just check ResellerRatings and the rating listen in the marketplace to determine if you're buying from a good vendor.
  • edited August 2008
    edcentric wrote:
    I ran one up on Newegg yesterday.

mobo Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L $85 (with free 2 MB USB flash)
    CPU E8400 ...... in a combo with
    PSU Thermaltake Purepower 500W $220
    mem OCZ Crossfire 2x1GB DDR2 800 $46
    video Radeon HD 4850 $170
    HDD Samsung Spinpoint 500GB $70
    DVD Lite-On $30

This is $620 and the shipping will be less than $20.
    Right now these items also come with a total of $50 in rebates.

I left out a case. Pick one up locally that you like the looks of.
    Without a PSU it should only be $40.

This is nice stuff. I looked at product descriptions & really like the MB, looks like I could add another couple gigs RAM later on too. Unfortunately with the added cost of a case & an OS, this puts me over budget. It adds about another $150 - $175 to the total cost. Same with the one Thrax showed me. Add the s/h & OS...about $175 more.
  • edited August 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Xendora, I would not recommend buying from eBay in your circumstances:

1. I mean no disrespect when I say this, but you aren't at the point where you can tell what is quality hardware and what isn't. The $60 case is a perfect example of this. The vast majority of power supplies included with budget cases are very low quality and often times cause system instability at a minimum, and at a maximum can fry your processor, motherboard, hard drive, memory and video card. Unless you really know what you're looking at, it's best to stay away.

2. Being on a limited income, eBay doesn't provide you with any sort of fall-back option should you be scammed or sent defective parts. When dealing with computer hardware, there are no guarantees, but when shopping from a good retailer, you can return defective hardware without issue.

Thrax's suggestion of using Newegg, and Primesuspect's suggestion of using the Icrontic Marketplace are both quite valid. If you use the marketplace, just check ResellerRatings and the rating listen in the marketplace to determine if you're buying from a good vendor.

No offense taken whatsoever Buddy J, you point out some really valid things about shopping with various sellers on ebay. I agree with you & the others, it's best to buy from one reliable place with good return policies. Would be nice to get everything in one package instead of waiting on different people to get around to sending stuff out too.

OK guys, consider my ebay fetsish on hold....for now, lol. Please, when helping me figure out what would be good to buy & staying within my budget that this also does include me having to buy an OS. ~Xen
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    What games do you play online, and what other things do you want to be able to do? If we can focus on what you like to do, it should help us when it comes to system specs.
  • edited August 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    What games do you play online, and what other things do you want to be able to do? If we can focus on what you like to do, it should help us when it comes to system specs.

Hi Buddy J, I like to play EverQuest, been playing for almost 2 years. A friend of mine lets me play his account when he's not on but the only thing the computer I have now allows me to do is log the 2nd acct on in the same zone if my toon dies for a rezz & buffs, then I have to log it off. If I try to zone either my toon or his, computer can't handle it. Playing 2 accts at the same time is called 2-boxing (you probably know this, lol) and my computer just can't handle it. It's the switching between accts to do things back & forth I want to do but at present can't. I can switch back & forth but it takes forever...not good if you want your toon to stay alive. I tend to get a lot of lag at EQ, sometimes it's cuz of their server & other times it's my computer getting tired. I also play games at Pogo & iSketch.

I know a lot of the new PC games out there are DVD type & would like to pick some up here & there as my budget permits. This is mostly for my nephews, the youngest stays with me a couple or more times a month & if I can get him happy on the computer I get to watch TV, lol. When my oldest nephew was here for a visit (he lives in AZ) I bought him a PC computer game. We didn't notice it was DVD until afterwards & he couldn't play it here cuz I have no DVD drive & not at my mom's cuz her system is old as dirt (256 mg RAM, poor Mom) & couldn't handle the system req's.

I used to enjoy doing stuff with PhotoShop but for some reason, the times I tried to do things with it I'd get errors & lose my project so I kinda quit doing things like that.

I am not a huge file downloader, I don't care about storing tons of DVD or movie files on my HD like some of my friends. My present 60 gig hd is no more than 1/2 full far as I know. I am having DLL problems atm, can't access that info to say for sure. Basically, my system is 4 years old & I'd like to upgrade to something I notice is a lot better. I know if I start out with 2 gigs RAM I'd LOVE to be able to add 2 more gigs later on. I am not ready to go to 64 bit system due to the many problems I've read about it regarding drivers, program compatability issues, etc. I would like to be able to move on up to it should things get better. I want my new system to be able to last me at least as long as this one has since this is what, in my life, I call a "major purchase" item.

I could probably milk my present computer along for a while to come, missing DLLs & all....but who's to say. I paid about $400 total on this computer at ebay, I've definitely got my money out of it. I would like to replace it as a main system & set this one up as a back-up & for nephew to toy around with...so I can watch my TV, hehe.

Did I answer what you need to know? If not, I'm here for a while. Thanks so much for helping out. Oh....gotta a question for you & the rest of the techies...... Before I found this board I'd been looking at computers on ebay for weeks....always came back to the same seller due to his excellent feedback & prices aren't so bad. If I were to list the specs on the computer I was planning on buying, can I get your opinions about it? Don't be mean, remember....gotta ebay fetish, lol. No really, can I see about copying the specs or something? I still do not know if it's ok to paste links here. If I can, I will do it right away & you can have at it.....but be nice guys, lol. Let me know plz. ~Xen :)
    edited August 2008
    Well, there are a lot of tradeoffs that can be made.

Here you have $485, with $15 S&H for $500 even.
    Newegg wants $140 for XP Pro.
    So that leaves you $60 for a case from a local supplier, which should be very easy.
    (and that isn't counting the $45 in mail in rebates)

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S - Retail
    Item #: N82E16827106057
    $29.99

HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725032VLA360 (0A33435) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Item #: N82E16822145129
    $59.99

SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
    Item #: N82E16814102715
    -$5.00 Instant
    $15.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $99.99
    $94.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200 - Retail
    Item #: N82E16819115052
    $119.99

• Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Retail
    Item #: N82E16817153052
    • G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
    Item #: N82E16820231098
    -$50.00 Instant
    -$10.00 Combo
    $30.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $154.98
    $94.98

• GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Item #: N82E16813128337
    • GIGABYTE 2GB USB Flash Drive Gift - Retail
    Item #: N82E16800999077
    -$5.00 Instant
    -$9.99 Combo
    $99.98
    $84.99
    Subtotal: $484.93
    edited August 2008
    I don't see RAM in there. Did I miss it?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    edcentric wrote:
    • G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
    -$50.00 Instant
    -$10.00 Combo
    $30.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $154.98
    $94.98
  • edited August 2008
    Ya you can post links to webpages!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    if you keep your eye 0ut you can usually find a 4gb kit for about that price.
    edited August 2008
    No, you can post web links. Every time I try to do it I manage to mess something up.

DDR2 prices are all over these days. There are some great combo or rebate deals.
    My point was that it isn't too difficult to get to the price point and still have a decent machine.
    edited August 2008
    Highlight text, hit link button, paste url. Et voila.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I'd suggest using Seagate for a hard drive, they have 5 year warranties and I haven't had any of mine go bad on me and lose data.

And once this PC is built and running, put that video card to good use.

Download World of Warcraft!:celebrate
  • edited August 2008
    Hello...I just posted what I thought was a pretty good reply....& it didn't go through. *sigh* Such is the way of the net my friends. Anyway......I did manage to print it out..I will redo tomorrow. I'm looking stuff over at "the egg" you all have a good night.....
  • edited August 2008
    edcentric wrote:
    Well, there are a lot of tradeoffs that can be made.

Here you have $485, with $15 S&H for $500 even.
    Newegg wants $140 for XP Pro.
    So that leaves you $60 for a case from a local supplier, which should be very easy.
    (and that isn't counting the $45 in mail in rebates)

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S - Retail
    Item #: N82E16827106057
    $29.99

HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725032VLA360 (0A33435) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Item #: N82E16822145129
    $59.99

SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
    Item #: N82E16814102715
    -$5.00 Instant
    $15.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $99.99
    $94.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200 - Retail
    Item #: N82E16819115052
    $119.99

• Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Retail
    Item #: N82E16817153052
    -$50.00 Instant
    -$10.00 Combo
    $30.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $154.98
    $94.98

• GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Item #: N82E16813128337
    • GIGABYTE 2GB USB Flash Drive Gift - Retail
    Item #: N82E16800999077
    -$5.00 Instant
    -$9.99 Combo
    $99.98
    $84.99
    Subtotal: $484.93

Hi Everyone & thank you edcentric for putting this together for me. I have my cart started at "the egg". I'm enjoying this site, I've been reading reviews on everything & am learning a few things in doing so. Here's what I have so far.

I have the MB & processor edcentric listed. I went for the following DVD/CD drive because I want one with lightscribe. Quick question about lightscribe...do you need a special program or discs to use this feature?

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model iHAS220-08 - Retail
    Item #: N82E16827106265
    $31.99

I picked out a different HD. I guess I got "gig greedy" once I started looking at them, lol. I went with Western Digital because they have fantastic customer support. My other 2 computers had WD HDs & never had a problem with them. This computer, the HD went bad & all I had to do was e-mail them the serial # & a couple days later a replacement was here. I had mail the old drive back within 30 days for it to be a free replacement, cost me $9 for s/h.

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Item #: N82E16822136073
    $74.99

Another thing that sold me on this particular HD was the following review which I thought was hilarious. When I got my replacement drive the UPS guy left it in my mailbox sticking 1/2 way out in the rain, inside pkg was fine.
    Pros: Very fast, extremely quiet, runs quite cool, HIGHLY durable
    Cons: None
    Other Thoughts: The ups man left the package on the porch and my dogs tore into it. I came home and the hard drive was laying out of the package and in their bed. I was certain it was damaged, and on top of it I left my window open one day and it got some rain sprinkles on it, and I think I dropped it once on the carpet. Through all of this it STILL works beautifully!! :P Good job WD

Also while reading reviews I noticed several complaining about missing cables, screws, paperwork & something about some kind of SATA setting jumper. This is OEM so these things aren't normally included, right? What do I get need to install & hook this up? I don't know anything about SATA cables. What about screws?

Question about the OS...do I really need XP Pro? I was planning on getting XP Home. From what I've read, the extra features Pro has are ones I don't need & will never use.

Concerns about the suggested video card. I'm not sure this is a EverQuest compatible card. All I could find at their site (SoE sucks for customer support, ugh) is it's compatible with NVidea GeForce T1 or higher & ATI Radeon 7500 or higher. Direct 3D cards are not supported.

That's what I have so far. Going back to the egg to check out the other items I need for my cart. Looking forward to your replies & thanks for your time, much appreciated. ~Xen
    edited August 2008
    You don't need XP pro. Home will be perfect for you.
  • edited August 2008
    This is the computer I was going to buy at ebay. Am I getting a lot better out of building it myself?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300249684332&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020