Crazy Gadget Guy vs. a D-Link router

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Science & Tech
Our own Alan "isiea" Tadeo is our resident Crazy Gadget Guy. Today he takes on a D-Link DIR615 router to see if it can handle the punishment he dishes out. In case you're not familiar with just how crazy our gadget guy can get, here's a preview:
I am a media freak.

Let me say that again: I am a media freak. I am also a gadget addict, a power user who streams, downloads, plays online games and is generally considered by most ISPs to be a heavy bandwidth user and a general pain in the ass. Thus, I have used many routers in the past only to have them be unstable and crash even when flashed to latest versions. As an example of my normal usage pattern, I once had a router crash on me while I was bidding on Ebay; it reset and made me lose the auction, so in response I took a hammer to it.

See the destruction here.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Icrontic's crazy gadget guy is responsible for THIS monstrosity:

whatlaptop.jpg
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    haha, fun read! I was sure isiea was going to crash that thing.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    no way.

router2.png
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Serif fonts hurt my eyes.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    for linksys router or most boardcom chipset router, it is better up upgrade to linux kernal, much more stable, i have few linksys routers they crash so on very offen, but after add heatsink and fan to it it runs good, but after heavy hammering on wifi+lan it require a reboot time to time, but with linux DD-WRT, not a single problem, much better resource management + i am able to OVerlcok the SOB to 150Mhz more!!!

i have 20 comp runing across 3 bridged router, SMC 7004ABR+ SMC Super GX+ Linksys WRT-54GS, alot of traficking so on, they dont crush nothing.. with 10mbp wan that is manage by internal ISA server
  • edited May 2011
    huh? I have the DIR-615 (Hardware Version: E3 Firmware Version: 5.10), and within 5 minutes of me turning on μtorrent (max upload set to 50KB/s, max connections set to 200), everyone on my network starts lagging (2000-10000 ping in Unreal Tournament '99), despite the total torrent speed being 5KB/s down and 5KB/s up. Furthermore the router redirects me to some spam site (dlinksearch.com) whenever it *thinks* a page doesn't exist. A quick google search shows more people complaining that it doesn't work with torrent, and some site did a review on it and found out it can only handle 32 simultaneous connections. I can't believe it's legal for them to sell this thing.