Use XP Home 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Science & Tech
I'm planning to build a new PC sometime soon, and it'll have XP Home 32 bit on it.

No Vista. Not never ever!

I talked to someone today who might be able to get me a copy of XP Home 64 bit.

If they do actually do it, should I run it?

The only reason I would have to run 64 bit is so I could run more than 4 GB of RAM in the new PC. I'd run it all the way to 8 GB maybe! :bigggrin:

Other than being able to handle more than 4 GB of RAM, I have no reason, need, or desire to run 64 bit.

Is this a good idea, or would 64 bit create more problems than it solves? Would any other software have a problem with 64 bit XP Home?

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Just double check for drivers for all hardware you are using, 08 server is nice if you can score a free one or know how to get around the time delay with two machines.

I know a few people running x64 just cause.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Tim, make sure to check Icrontic's Marketplace for your computer parts for your new build. The price comparison engine is awesome.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2008
    There is no "Xp home 64bit"

Only Xp pro X64 or vista 64bit (Home basic,home premium,business,ultimate)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    actually its xp 03 server(pro) 64
  • steadyfluxsteadyflux Maryland Member
    edited August 2008
    Kinda late to the game, but I remember reading this AskMeFi post about this exact topic before, maybe this will give you some food for thought.

http://ask.metafilter.com/87603/64-is-twice-as-better-as-32-right
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    steadyflux wrote:
    Kinda late to the game, but I remember reading this AskMeFi post about this exact topic before, maybe this will give you some food for thought.

http://ask.metafilter.com/87603/64-is-twice-as-better-as-32-right

I don't think most those replies were meant to be hilarious, but wow. Good times.

I've been using XP Pro x64 on most my rigs for well over a year now. It's solid, fast, and I've had absolutely no issues with drivers. It's like XP on steroids, but without the little balls.