Gaming Headset

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Gaming
I need a new gaming headset for cheap, I dropped my 2 year old logitech headset 10 min ago and snapped the mic, I am so pissed. I superglued it and it works but the mic is no longer adjustable. What do you guys recommend? NON usb and under 30 bucks

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Yell out the window, no one on line will hear you but it will make you feel better. I have a plantronics not sure what model but I know it was in that price range. Used logitech for the past three years and always seemed to be replacing them. For the price, sound quality and durability you can't beat these.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Second a Plantronics set. Used the same one for about 5 years now, it works/sounds great.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    thirded
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I have been shopping around for a new headset also. I came across the GAMECOM1 (PLANTRONICS) and I didn't pull the trigger because of this Newegg review:
    Cons: The cords are just a little to thin for my liking, but as long as your careful then they should last a while. Also, the input and output cords are not separated. So i was not able to plug the mic into the back of the PC, and the headphones into the back of the speakers on my desk, so i have to pull my PC out when ever i use these and plug them both into the back.

...As that is what I am looking to do. But with the recommendations already above I think I might still go with this one and get an audio splitter for the back of the PC.

-Bobby
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Most cheaper headsets don't have seperated wires running the entire length.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/voip-headsets/audio-345

Got this (or one very similar) at Best Buy the other day and have been using it for TF2, Skype, and general use. Love it. The USB dongle makes it work with just about everything and the single cord with volume control/mute is great. It's not too expensive, either.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Sennheiser PC-350. You'll **** yourself.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Thrax wrote:

Once you get those nothing else will be tolerable. Seriously. (And I'm far from an audiophile)
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I'm a huge fan of Plantronics in general, but stay away from the Gamecom headset. I got this headset from NewEgg about 5 months ago and it was in pristine condition when I bought it. No more than four months later, the wires were beginning to fray and the in-line volume/mic control fell apart while I was wearing the headset. This is saying a lot, because I take care of my peripherals almost more than anyone.

As far as Plantronics, definitely a trustworthy brand and I would almost always choose them over Logitech or anything similar. I just think they made a huge mistake in the development of the Gamecom1.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Thrax wrote:

I haven't used that particular headset, but I'm sure Thrax's sentiment is 100% correct.

But since you're looking for something cheap, I'm going to suggest the Sennheiser PC151 headset. Not the best, but better than most!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I have the Sennheiser 131 and they're pretty much awesome and take a LOT of abuse, so I have a lot of faith in what their higher-end stuff must do. :)

When my last set got destroyed a year and a half ago in a cord-meets-vacuum accident, I went and bought an identical set I liked them so much.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    You could try these.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    dsc07088.jpg
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Been using Sennheisers for a long time, but felt for trying something new. Razer Piranha was a really good surprise. Separated cords, fantastic mic and so far, really good sound from a medium quality source. It even have a separate usb plug for bling blue light on the in line control.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I have been reading and comparing so many friggin head sets... I am confused. Mine are officially dead. (no good gaming till i get new ones:eek:)
    Been using Sennheisers for a long time, but felt for trying something new. Razer Piranha was a really good surprise. Separated cords, fantastic mic and so far, really good sound from a medium quality source. It even have a separate usb plug for bling blue light on the in line control.

Can you tell me more about the sound and comfort quality of the Razer Piranhas Please!!!

I want nice, and the Sennheiser 350s sound great, just can't do $150+ for head phones. I just want nice sound, a good mike, long term comfort, and a 3.5mm connection.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Speaking price to performance/comfort.. Plantronics all the way.
    I've used Sony cordless, Logitech USB, TurtleBeach, etc,etc.
    And I've found that price to quality and comfort. Plantronics has been my choice.
    Here's a site that has quite a few to chose from at very good prices... headsetzone
    I chose the digital surround sound set for the link, but you can look around there and find many sets even cheaper that still have good quality sound.
    I found that even the cheaper $29.95 Plantronics have good sound.
    Not top quality, but very good for gaming/music/online TV shows.
    You definitely want soft cover the ear, over the head type headphones.
    I've been through the hook over your ear, the plug in your ear, the little pads on the ear, the hang around the back of your head types.
    Getting the covered ear, soft padded, over the head types, are best if your spending any time with them on.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Using our marketplace, I came up with this list.

I use Plantronics USB Audio 510. I love them, and never have a single issue with them.

Plantronics USB headsets.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    My dad had these so when i was over there a couple weeks ago i tried them

Needless to say they are the most comfortable headset I have EVER used and amazing sound THIS is why they are now sitting on my desk and he is missing his!

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=16337

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/creative_fatal1ty_review/

Here is a great review, Their one complaint was one of mine but after a couple hours they broke in
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the input guys, I went ahead an got these as I do not want to wait any longer to play teh Heavy!!!

Audio 770 Virtual Surround Sound Headset $50. two day shipping :wink:

Gnome, I looked hard at those too!!
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I have Creative Fatal1ty headset. Works great and never had slightest issue with them.
  • steadyfluxsteadyflux Maryland Member
    edited August 2008
    StainMeNow wrote:
    I haven't used that particular headset, but I'm sure Thrax's sentiment is 100% correct.

But since you're looking for something cheap, I'm going to suggest the Sennheiser PC151 headset. Not the best, but better than most!

I use the PC151 and love it for its balance of performance, extended comfort (8 hours of wear without any problems even with creative piercings) and cost.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I am sad u didnt get them you will be truly missing out
    edited August 2008
    I am sad u didnt get them you will be truly missing out

That makes me feel better.;)
  • Quantom-XQuantom-X Alexander, Arkansas
    edited September 2008
    I need a new gaming headset for cheap, I dropped my 2 year old logitech headset 10 min ago and snapped the mic, I am so pissed. I superglued it and it works but the mic is no longer adjustable. What do you guys recommend? NON usb and under 30 bucks
    DUCT-TAPE.jpg Ducked tape
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    It's "duct" sir.
  • Quantom-XQuantom-X Alexander, Arkansas
    edited September 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    It's "duct" sir.
    Whatever.:nudge:
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Good attitude. I know I enjoy looking like an idiot when I misspell things.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    OT: (but the can was already opened and half the worms missing!)
    One view is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers because it was made from cotton duck
    The other view is that "duct tape" is the original term, since there are many documented uses of that term which pre-date all documented uses of the term "duck tape"...

Don't argue with WWII vets!!! How Rude.... Though history is a pretty good source also.

There is also locally (at least not sure how wide spread) a company that manufactures this kind of tape, the company name is Duck.... therefore it is Duck Tape, a Duck on the package and all.

/OT

Edit: I hate when I post in the wrong thread

-Bobby
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Don't buy new headphones. Your puppy will just eat them and the next two pairs you buy to replace them all in the same week.....:mad:.

But if you do decide to get a pair I suggest the ones in the picture.