Voter outreach continues

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Science & Tech
[figure]xbox_360_logo.jpg[/figure]

In an interesting and unprecedented move, Rock the Vote has partnered with Microsoft to allow XBox 360 owners to register to vote over Xbox Live beginning August 25th. The partnership comes as Rock the Vote tries to register 2 million new young Americans for the election this fall, and with a user base as vast as Xbox Live (12 million members) consisting largely of that demographic, it puts them in a good position to reach that goal.

The initiative extends so far as to allow 360 owners not only the ability to register, but a place to "participate in presidential polls and voice their opinions to the presidential candidates." A dedicated political forum will be available, and Rock the Vote PSAs will become available through Xbox Live.

To provide some scope, Microsoft conveniently pointed out that if all of XBL's user base were of age and voting, they would number sufficiently to be considered the 7th-largest state, controlling around 20 electoral votes.

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I think this is a great idea. Here in the UK we have a real problem with voter apathy and I think that the US has the right idea about targetting the younger voter by aligning itself with other big hitters.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    It pains me to see that we have to resort to what is essentially trendy advertising to get people off their fat asses and get involved with politics.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure that the target audience is the "ideal" voter.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Apathy's not necessarily laziness, Thrax...
    edited August 2008
    Apathy is the very definition of laziness.

"Oh, I don't care. zzzzzzzzz." /lazy
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Nearly four years ago, I got so frustrated at the idea that after months of crap, Kerry was just going to concede that I nearly gave up on politics altogether. You can sincerely not care (be it due to a feeling of "betrayal" or a simple lack of suitable options) and not at all be lazy.

We agree that it's sad that we have to resort to Xbox Live to try and drum up interest, but to call all apathy laziness is a generalization and a fallacy.
    edited August 2008
    omg my candidate /quit, I h8 politics. I just won't do anything any more.

Bzzt. Laziness.

Go fight for a cause you believe in and enjoy the opportunity to back a new candidate in four years, or find ways to fight for your causes on a local level.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    It is possible to not care for reasons other than lazyness.