Abit calls it quits

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Science & Tech
<p><a href="http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=15225">Hexus is reporting</a> Abit will cease motherboard production at the end of 2008. The Taiwanese company will honor RMAs and warranties through 2011 according to the report.</p>
<p>Abit will refocus attention to mobile devices and consumer electronics.</p>

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Bankruptcy in 5, 4, 3...
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Icrontic should buy Abit's mobo assets.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    OMG one of my fav companys too! Thier IP35 board was rock solid
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    The King is dead, long live the King!
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2008
    Ahh man the first PC I ever built was on a KT7A-raid mobo with a Duron 650 cpu. I over clocked that thing to 950mghz and had my 2 IBM deathstars in raid 0. I've owned one or two abit mobo's since but can't recall the name.

You'll be missed ABIT but not forgotten.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    21 gun salute to:

KT7A-Raid
    KX7-333R
    NF7-S v2
    edited August 2008
    I have owned a:

KT7a
    Kx7-333R
    NF7-s v2

Best boards I have ever own and all three are still running today.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I still have my NF7S-2. It has been running 24/7 as SM18 for .. I dunno.. years now.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    KT7-R
    KT7A-R
    KX7-R
    KR7? the one that was between KT and KX series
    NF7
    IC7 (Socket 478)
    IP35-E

The two best boards in my experience, clearly superior to the others, were the KX7 and IC7. My NF7-S2 was very smooth, but was a very unstable overclocker. It even corrupted it's BIOS chip during an overclocking session. It was so bad I had to order another chip. I seem to be one of the few enthusiasts that had bad luck with the NF7.

Small motherboard manufacturers that went out of business, are going out of business, or closed production of consumer models:

Epox
    Abit
    Iwill (stopped making consumer models)

Let's hope that DFI doesn't see the same fate as these other niche market manufacturers!
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited August 2008
    That sucks. Good company, good product. Surprised they didn't at least try to sell it off to a competitor...
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Leo, you can add Shuttle to the list. They're only into making SFF stuff now.
    edited August 2008
    Chaintech and Soltek also stopped making motherboards.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Don't forget Soyo
    edited August 2008
    Is DFI the only small (relatively speaking) motherboard manufacturer still producing consumer models?
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited August 2008
    2 NF - 7 V 2 s still cranking
    edited August 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Is DFI the only small (relatively speaking) motherboard manufacturer still producing consumer models?

Biostar and Jetway remain, off the top of my head.
    edited August 2008
    I never had much luck with Biostar boards and I have never heard of Jetway.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    So with all these /quit's from companies that were a major factor in AMD's market share in the tweaking community, what does it have in it's favor now? On top of a really good cpu they need to come out with, now they also need a good chipset to back it up.
    edited August 2008
    AMD hasn't had an earth-shatteringly good since the NFORCE4, and one could make the argument that the last good chipset was the NFORCE2 with Soundstorm.

The 790FX is novel, but still behind Intel.
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    AMD hasn't had an earth-shatteringly good since the NFORCE4, and one could make the argument that the last good chipset was the NFORCE2 with Soundstorm.

The 790FX is novel, but still behind Intel.

I would have babies with my NFORCE2 if I could...
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2008
    Abit gone? we can't allow that chaps, can we not organise a whip round?
    I think 90% of the boards I've used have been Abit, loved everyone. :sad2:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2008
    These are the Abit boards I used to (and still own)
    KT7-RAID
    KT7A-RAID
    KX7-RAID
    KD7-RAID

In Jan 2007, I went and bought an EPoX EP-MF570SLI board because I felt Abit's quality was still iffy. Little did I know that EPoX went out of business 6 months after that until I noticed they quit releasing updated BIOS's for their boards, and there was no news newer than June 2007.

My next board will more than likely be an MSI or Gigabyte.
    edited August 2008
    can we not organise a whip round
    Abit these last two years has been operating on the save exercised by a buyout. The original Abit has been around the last few years mainly in name only. No, I don't think anyone is going to give Abit a third chance (meaning $$$ prop up).
    edited August 2008
    In my opinion, for high performance with reasonable prices, DFI and Gigabyte are now our friends. I have been very, very impressed with the boards coming out of Gigabyte. Of course, Asus always offers great performers in their upper end mix, but the prices are steep.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I'm running Abits NF7-V2 & AN7 right now.
    Both are over clocked a little and running fine.