IC needs volunteers for a photo retouching project

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Community
We need volunteers! Read on!.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    A very good idea, indeed! I'd be willing to volunteer myself to retouching photos. Or at least I'd would like to give it a shot, for I'd like to consider myself having above mediocre skills.

I'd love to see this take off.

*Volunteer*
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Count me in for retoucher's pool, or possibly backend dev. Anyways, just count me in.

I obviously know a thing or two about web development, and I love working in Photoshop, been using it for about 8 years now. I even did some antique photo retouching back in high school, so I'm experienced.

Great idea Prime, this could be a great way to set Icrontic apart with something not only unique, but very personal. :life:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I fix:

attachment.php?attachmentid=25874&d=1220137965
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I pat you on the back for this Idea Prime :thumbsup:
    It's a good one, I know people that had pics that were
    dying and would wish for what you are offering.
  • edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    I fix:

attachment.php?attachmentid=25874&d=1220137965

Ohai metoo.

retouchicck6.jpg<-- Gimp for lyfe
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited August 2008
    I have no photoshop skills, but kudos to those of you that do and are willing to donate your time. Well done! :)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Great idea and would be a real use for a lot of people. My photoshop skills are limited at best, but I would be willing to volunteer to do something, help with backend setup or whatever.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    For the backend, I'm sure with all the talented programmers we have here we'd all be able to put our heads together and come up with a slick check in/out script to manage files. Also to be able to keep multiple copies/versions of files for approval.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    A catchy name for this project!

How about "fix yo' pix!"
    or "Memories Completed"
    or "Icrontic's Photoshop for the Community"

Just some suggestions.

Really cool idea, and an awesome thing to do, especially for those who couldn't hope to accomplish retouching a photo by themselves.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I would be willing to be a volunteer on the touchup staff. Here is my quick take on the pic.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    You edited out the stone ground. Now it looks like they're being eaten by a great mass of white. :P
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2008
    I don't pretend to have the skills of some of you guys but what a great idea. I'm not too bad at photoshop though and could do some of the basic stuff, get it ready for more expert treatment perhaps?
    I do, as it happens, also have a picture in my PC that desperately needs this treatment. It is of my paternal Grandparents (born late 1800s?). I didn't want to be the one to set a precedent and just post it so if anybody would/could like a go?
  • edited August 2008
    What a great idea!

I know nuts about photo editing, but I really hope this project can go through. Let me know if I can help in other ways! :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Remember, we need help with more than just retouching. You could somehow be a part of this by actually collecting/scanning photos, bothered. There's no reason this can't have global reach. The internet is magic sorcery :D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I'll do.... something. You know my skillz.
    edited August 2008
    Remember, we need help with more than just retouching. You could somehow be a part of this by actually collecting/scanning photos, bothered. There's no reason this can't have global reach. The internet is magic sorcery :D

Count me in, I'm at your disposal.
    edited August 2008
    Let's start with you uploading the highest res copy of that image you were talking about, and letting the wizards work their magic on it. We can use it in our gallery of work we've done :)
    edited August 2008
    Here it is, a daunting snap to be sure. It's from the 40's, or maybe 50's and in quite poor condition.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Awesome idea!

Can we collect metadata on these photos?
    • Date
    • People or objects in photo

Along with:
    • Photo source, copyright holder
    • Name of volunteer photoshopper
    • Notes on any possible lost information in the photo due to original damage or repair technique
    • Medium: is this from an original photo print, a colorized enlargement, slide, etc.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I don't have any photoshop or computer skillz...but I could supply the cookies?
    edited August 2008

So here's what we need:
    • A catchy name for this project!
    • People who can make the initial gathering step happen
    • Someone who can design a backend system to expedite the process
    • A pool of photo retouchers
    • A source for prints / frames
    • Good PR!
    edited August 2008
    Garg, I agree on the metadata. As much information as possible would be awesome, and of historical significance.

We need to set standards for scans as well. None of these photos will have been digital to begin with, so we'll need, as much as possible, extremely high res scans (I'm thinking 300dpi minimum with 600dpi being ideal), greyscale mode for sepia or bw photos, and CMYK for color photos. TIFF format for all photos with jpg available for screen viewing, but TIFF for printing and archival purposes, etc. TIFF will handle all EXIF data that we could possibly need for this project.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Great idea Prime.

I'd like to hear some additional thoughts on the requirements you had in mind for the backend system. As much detail as possible would be great. Looking forward to seeing an awesome project out of IC :)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    You edited out the stone ground. Now it looks like they're being eaten by a great mass of white. :P

True dat. Said it was a quick edit. For some reason when I was looking at it last night I thought those were cracks in the photo. Fixt.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited August 2008
      A catchy name for this project!
    A reTouch Of Class

Icrontic.com's Memory Restoration Project -or- Icrontic.com's Community Photo Restoration Project

The Icrontic Photograph Time Machine -or- The Icrontic Time Machine for Photographs
    We'll turn back the clock on your aged/damaged photographs
  • edited August 2008
    TIFF format for all photos with jpg available for screen viewing, but TIFF for printing and archival purposes, etc. TIFF will handle all EXIF data that we could possibly need for this project.

So all retouched photos should be saved under TIFF and JPG (Making two separate files)? Or just TIFF and then converted later to JPG once they are ready to be displayed in the gallery?
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure there will be a gallery at all

this is for individual people who normally would never have access to a community of experts like this.

I mean, I definitely think we'll need a few, if people give us permission, just to showcase the work we can do, but for the most part, most of the work will probably be kept private.
    edited August 2008
    We need a very solid check in/check out system for this to work properly. Our system has to look like this:

Volunteers collect photos -> Photos are scanned and returned to owners -> scans are uploaded as high res TIFFs to our app -> photos are assigned to retouchers and "checked out". -> fixed photos are uploaded to our app and "checked in" -> Fixed photos have metadata applied if possible -> Fixed photos are archived, printed, framed, and shipped to volunteer for return to owners.

NOW HIRING VOLUNTEER APPLICATION DEV TEAM LEADER

I'm looking for someone serious to lead up the backend team. I need someone with a high level of web/app dev experience, who can organize, build a web app for collaboration, strategize, and make this happen quickly.

I won't be doing the "hiring" of the web devs/db devs, but we need a world class application to make this happen properly. I will be hiring the dev team leader.

Please submit your resume to me via email

brian at icrontic dot... well, you know.

Must be:

• Willing to put in several unpaid hours a week
    • Have team mangement experience
    • Highly experienced in open source web technologies, PHP/MySQL or Ruby, etc.

Please include portfolio information in your resume or email.
    edited August 2008
    Aaaand I just realized we need to figure out logistics of finished products being returned to the owners. Do we have local volunteers to print the stuff? we'll need someone to supply consumables (paper and ink), we'll need some kind of standard for prints, and of course we'll need shipping.

I was hoping to avoid monetary involvement, but that's probably gonna be impossible.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    for all the file/revision history couldn't you just use basecamp or any of the other free opensource project collaboration apps?