What will be the hot items this Christmas season?

TimTim Southwest PA
edited January 2009 in The Pub
Every year I hear all about it. A few new gadgets are in high demand, selling for 3X their retail price or more on eBay, etc.

Well finally, I have some extra cash in the bank, and I'd like to get in on some good old fashioned American capitalism. I wanna grab a few of these high demand things and profit off of them for myself.

Any idea what the big items will be? I know it's a bit early in the year yet, but this operation requires gathering intelligence and planning.:vimp:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited September 2008
    Didn't you make a webshow about how scummy that practice is? If you're having the internet do the legwork for you (the research, speculation, etc.) what value are you adding to the normal retail purchase price of a product?

This is what's wrong with ebay. Right here.
  • TimTim Southwest PA
    edited September 2008
    Sure, it's not the best thing in the world, but $ = money = scrilla = profit = financial horsepower = mon-nay = good for me. I want to build an awesome new gaming PC for myself, and I'd like a larger 24" or so LCD monitor, and that $ has to come from somewhere!

I'd have to look back and see what episode # that was. I'm sure it was at a time when I didn't have any extra cash at all, though.

It's for the people who have more money than brains. If they are willing to pay 3X the price for a Wii or PS3 or whatever, I'm willing to take it.

A local Dodge dealer here has a 2008 Challenger SRT with a $41K sticker price. They've had it 2-3 months now. When they first got it, they added a $20,000 "Market Value Adjustment" to the price. After a month or so, they reduced it to $10,000. I was at the dealer yesterday to pick up a part, and it's still there, alongside new Challenger R/T's selling for $32K. With a $3,000 "Market Value Adjustment". I think they'll sit for a while, not too many rich people around here that I know of.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri
    edited September 2008
    I think fruitcake will make a triumphant return this holiday season.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited September 2008
    The way the economy is going, I'd say a healthy stock portfolio, or at least a job might be the most popular gifts this XMas season....:(
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited September 2008
    Cabbage Patch Kids
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited September 2008
    I know lots of people that will be getting coal this Christmas. You might want to stock up.
  • TimTim Southwest PA
    edited September 2008
    Hmmm, I'm sensing some sarcasm in some of these responses. No need to be hatin' on me, because I thought of the plan ahead of time, and, for the first time in my life, I can afford to drop a few grand on game consoles or something as a short term investment.:rockon:

I went by the local GameStop store this afternoon, and they had some Wiis in stock, so I bought one. $249.99 + 7% tax. I won't even open the box, I don't know anything about Wiis and I don't care. And I was asking them the same thing, about what the big sellers this Christmas season will be. They were talking about something called "Guitar Hero World Tour Band Kit", and said it has the complete set along with other features. I don't know anything about Guitar Hero, and I only played GH3 a few times at my sister's house on her PS2. I barely made it through a song on Easy level.

So I put down 2 $25 deposits, one for a Wii version and one for an Xbox360 version. I'll have to research them and if it sounds good, I'll pay them off and pick them up on 10/26, which I'm told is the release date.

I'll swing by a few other game stores in the next few days and ask questions and gather intelligence on the upcoming holiday season. And research online too.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited September 2008
    You're not going to make a profit on those. there will be PLENTY available for the holiday season.

I'm not being sarcastic, Tim. I'm telling you that philosophically, I heartily disagree with what you're doing, and if you have a couple thousand dollars to "invest" this is a very bad way to go about it.
  • edited September 2008
    Tim wrote:
    for the first time in my life, I can afford to drop a few grand on game consoles or something
    Tim wrote:
    I want to build an awesome new gaming PC for myself, and I'd like a larger 24" or so LCD monitor, and that $ has to come from somewhere!

I think I found your solution.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited September 2008
    Here's something else you could invest in along the same lines:

Go to the ticket window 6 hours before a concert at a local small venue, and just buy all the tickets, then you can sell them to people for 3 or 4 times the face value. and you don't even have to go anywhere, just stand right in front of the 'sold out' sign with your fist full of tickets!
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited September 2008
    Waffle irons and toaster ovens.
    edited September 2008
    You're not going to make a profit on those. there will be PLENTY available for the holiday season.

I'm not being sarcastic, Tim. I'm telling you that philosophically, I heartily disagree with what you're doing, and if you have a couple thousand dollars to "invest" this is a very bad way to go about it.

I agree totally with Brian,

1. Wii consoles have been around too long for anyone to make extra money on them. I was in Best Buy Sunday afternoon - they had a pallet in the center of an isle with at least 40 of them... If an UBER-new Wii2/XBox460/PS4 was due out on Nov 24th, I'd see a potential for profit, but not on a game console that is a year+ old, and short on popular game titles...

2. Games - You're gambling that a game that comes out on Oct 26th, two full months before XMas will still be HOT/UNAVAILABLE for you to make a profilt on it at XMas. Hindsight: As popular as HALO 3 was, it was still readily available 2 weeks (nevermind 2 months) after it was released. I know because I bought it for myself then.

Put your $$$ in an ING savings account, you'll make more profit there..... I'd go so far as saying you'll probably lose money on these purchases...
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited September 2008
    Put it all in the stock SKF
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited September 2008
    LOL Wiis are going to be common as dirt this Christmas.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited September 2008
    I hear Lehman Brothers stock is hot hot hot.

Go ahead and buy 8 of the Guitar Hero bundles. I'm sure they'll go for 200% over cost.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth
    edited September 2008
    I recommend buying small children from a couple 3rd world nations and trying to market them to attention whoring celebrities looking for a front page story.
  • edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    LOL Wiis are going to be common as dirt this Christmas.

Not only that.. but this Holiday season will put the nail in the coffin making sure that every American child/teen has a DS.
  • TimTim Southwest PA
    edited September 2008
    Uh, that SKF stock lost $23 of value today alone.

Are you sure that's a good idea?:confused2
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego
    edited September 2008
    Buy a put option?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan
    edited September 2008
    Two words man, Meth Lab.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited September 2008
    they short financial stocks, which is a pretty good deal right now. :) Seriously though, buy a nice market ETF and then you don't have to try to find the next "hot" item.
  • WingaWinga South Africa
    edited September 2008
    Tim most of the guys here are pulling the piss out you and I cant blame them.
    Your get rich scheme is lame and hair brained. You have done no research into it and are relying on 3rd parties to give you get rich quick ideas. Sorry man... but nobody is going to care about whether you make a profit if its not their money on the line.

There is only one reason the PS3 sold for ridiculous prices on E Bay. Simple economics 101. Supply and demand. There was such hype around the console and as usual there is a percentage of the population that want bragging rites that they were the first to have it. There just wern't enough consoles to go around. Add to that little junior that throws a temper tantrum that he just has to have one or his spoilt rotten world will end and big bucks mommy and daddy go out and buy him one, even if they know they paying murderous prices for it.

There's none of that this year. Games and consoles are yesterdays news. You going to lose your pants over this one. Cut your losses and if you wan't that 24" do what you have done till now. SAVE for it. In the meantime use the monitor you got. It's worked for you till now hasn't it?
  • edited September 2008
    I think mondi nailed it. If you have "a few grand" and want to build a gaming PC, then build it. We can definitely help you with that.

If you're looking to turn a quick profit, you need to understand that you will never find a high return without high risk.
  • TimTim Southwest PA
    edited September 2008
    Yes, I could build a great system right now, but I want BOTH the PC and the $. If I get a PC now, I won't have the $. The money is being put away for other things. I want to move away from here after the new year, and that requires big financing. I'm reinvesting that money here in this scheme.

I've been looking around online, and talked to people at another game store, and mostly it seems like only the people here are the ones saying it won't work.

Right now on eBay, there are several dozen Wii's with bid prices in the $300-$350 range, with 10, 20, or 30+ bids on each one. And we're nowhere near Christmas yet.

Winga said what I'm thinking. Supply and demand. Plus, unlike stocks, there'll be no capital gains taxes on this deal. No taxes at all, for that matter.

So I'm confident I can pull a $50 profit out of this thing even if I sell it now, and that's only going to go up in the next few months.

Worst case? Nintendo sends a few million Wiis to the USA, and I own a Wii. Or I sell it for somewhere near the retail price locally. Not a lot of risk in this investment, I think.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I know I'd trust the game-store employees who are required to sell merchandise - especially preorders - to the level of intelligence at Icrontic. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2008
    Tim wrote:
    I've been looking around online, and talked to people at another game store, and mostly it seems like only the people here are the ones saying it won't work.

Without being egotistical, I dare to say this is because the collective intelligence of the people on IC, is more than everyone in your average game store. IC has more business owners, mutiple degreed individuals, and technology professionals here daily than Game Stop (or any game store) has in a month.

EDIT: You also have to take into account that when the Wii and PS3 were pulling in ridiculous dollar amounts, they were new products and the economy was in much better shape.

We (the world) is currently on the brink of a recession. Unemployment is higher now than in the last 4 years (this is not factoring in all the new job losses from this week), and is going to go higher. This means more people are going to be holding on to their $$ much more tightly than they did a year or two ago. Things are bad now, and they will be worse in Dec. Sorry Tim, not trying to burn you, but you're really not factoring in all the variables in this situation.
  • edited September 2008
    Tim wrote:
    Plus, unlike stocks, there'll be no capital gains taxes on this deal. No taxes at all, for that matter.

Technically, this is incorrect. I know most people don't report things like this to the IRS, but you are legally required to. Just saying ...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited September 2008
    Tim wrote:
    Yes, I could build a great system right now, but I want BOTH the PC and the $. If I get a PC now, I won't have the $. The money is being put away for other things.

You mean like buying a couple grand in only barely-profitable merchandise? Good way to put that money away!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2008
    I'd buy a load of foil and a hat mould, because next year is when the Aliens come.
  • edited September 2008
    Tim wrote:
    What will be the hot items this Christmas season?

There will probably be some form of Elmo doll that just can't stay on the shelves this year. People will fight over them, bloodshed in Toys'R'Us and all that jazz. People paying $100 on eBay to satisfy Junior.

My advice: invest in Elmo dolls.