Can 32 bit vista work on a lan with 64 bit?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited October 2008 in Science & Tech
Me and my friends have planned a lan in 10 days time. He is running 64 bit vista and i am going to install vista today. Will the the lan work if i use 32 bit vista or do i have to use 64 bit?

the games will be crysis, grid, command and conquer 3.
posibly a few valve games.

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    As long as your network is setup correctly they should see each other fine.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited September 2008
    Good good, ill install 32 bit then. All i do is just plug the cat5 into the back of our pcs to link them. Worked last time so it should this time.
    Thanks.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    If you are directly cabling the computers to each other and not going through a hub you need to use a crossover cable.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Unless one of the computers has a gigabit port. They're autosensing.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Unless one of the computers has a gigabit port. They're autosensing.
    Really? Didn't know that. Are you sure all gigabit cards are autosensing?
    edited September 2008
    I'm fairly certain. I've yet to come across one that isn't. Anything within the last couple years should do it, as far as I can tell. I've got 3 motherboards at home that do it, and everyone I've seen has done it.

//Edit: It just hit me. I've always been gigabit-to-gigabit. So, I may be incorrect. I apologize.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2008
    I've been wondering something about Gigabit. If it just uses two more of the eight, why can't CAT5 do gigabit?
    edited September 2008
    It does. :confused2
    edited September 2008
    It does. It's just going to be slightly more susceptible to interference.
    edited September 2008
    Oh...I guess I just need to run fresh cable then..
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    Cat5 won't do gigga very well if you are trying to push the full 1000mbs all the way around and over any distances past 60'. You'll still show a gigga connection and all that but if you use any tools to monitor things you'll see a lot of crud on your lines.

Cat5e (twisted pair) however will run gigga fine in most occurrences up to around 400'. However if you have really heavy load and are constantly stressing your connection you should be running cat6.

Also noe if you are wiring up a building your patch panels themselves have to be rated accordingly to get full benefit. Very often patch panels are cat5e or 5 as well as all the wall jacks which makes running gigga across an entire network rather pointless, not to mention running gigga across an entire network is pointless anyway.

Gigga is great for having your switches talk to each other and back to your servers and perhaps a small segment of your network (graphics dept for example) but in general your still better to keep most office machines at 10/100.

Anyway thus endith the lesson, which is way beyond your simple initial question.
    edited September 2008
    But answers other questions I had. Thanks.
    edited October 2008
    Well, we did it, it didn't work :(

It just said limited or no connectivity and when i made a game, he could see but couldnt join it. If he made a game i could see it atall.

What i did is connect the ethernet ports from my pc to his pc with a 1 meter blue ethernet cable. That is a crossover cable right?

Ive managed to get this working with another friend by doing this( we were both on vista 32 bit). Why didnt it work with this friend? I was using XP and he was on Vista 64bit.

In future should i just buy a 10/100/1000mbps pci network card and he do the same and just connect the ports on those with a crossover cable?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    In all probability it was not a crossover cable, or you did not manually assign IP addresses to both machines that were in the same range (192.168.1.2 for you, 192.168.1.3 for him, for example).
    edited October 2008
    Well, how come it worked when i did it at my other friends house and we didnt manually assign ip adresses?
    edited October 2008
    Might have had ICS enabled.
    APIPA might have actually worked for once.

There's a multitude of reasons why it might or might not work. We're telling you the right way to do it.
    edited October 2008
    Ok thank you. I will make sure i do it the right way next time. :D

Thanks for all your help.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited October 2008
    i've got 64-bit vista working great with 32-bit XP on my network... although it's a domain which might help?
    edited October 2008
    Ethernet and TCP/IP don't care what OS you're using. For all intents and purposes, they don't even know.
    edited October 2008
    So how do i set this ip up? isnt it network connections/then rightclick the conenction you want to set the ip up for then properties. Then tcp/ip properties, then use the following ip adress and fill all of it out.
    what would i fill it out with?

ip:192.169.1.1 (other pc is 192.168.1.2?)
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0?
    defult gateway?
    dns server?
    preffered dns server?

cheers.
    edited October 2008
    Well as kryyst suggested, if you're going directly from one pc to another, with no other devices involved (no modem, router, other computers, etc.), then you need a crossover ethernet cable rather than a straight-through ethernet cable. TCP/IP settings can be:

PC1
    ip:192.168.1.1
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    defult gateway: blank
    dns server: blank
    preffered dns server: blank

PC2
    ip:192.168.1.2
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    defult gateway: blank
    dns server: blank
    preffered dns server: blank

(you had 192.169 not .168)

I've never actually done this, but i'm pretty sure I'm right :)
    edited October 2008
    Cool, ill save this in a .txt file so i dont mess up next time. Thanks very much.

PS> yes that was a mistake on the 169. :P

Cheers!
    edited October 2008
    yep... i figured your right-middle finger went exploring down num-row a touch too far to the right ;D
    edited October 2008
    yep... i figured your right-middle finger went exploring down num-row a touch too far to the right ;D

:D Actually, im not PRO enough to use the numpad i use the numbers along the top :bigggrin:

Actually it works in both senses :P Silly me :D
    edited October 2008
    ha ha... i suck at hitting numbers... you know what i want? I want a keyboard with touch guides on numrow on numbers 3 and 8, so when i start feeling for numbers I don't have to second guess myself... number pad's a bit easier, but the number row can be a biiiitch.