Offical GAMES Thread #1: Tourneys?

edited May 2004 in Community
Ok, here's the first OFFICAL games thread. The purpose of this one is simple; find out if anyone is interested in an organized tourney for any game, not just a particular game.

If enough people vote "Yes" to organized tourneys, we will then start the process of which game(s) to hold them on (with a series of votes. If not enough people are interested in organized tourneys, we will begin looking into which games will be "Officially Sanctioned". Again, with more voting.

The type of tourney will depend on the games played, and will also be handled with a vetoing process. In the case of games with more than one type of gameplay mode (such as Deathmatch, Team DM, and so on) this will be sorted out later, and multiple types of tourneys can be held on one game as the people wish.

This will be either a "Yay" or "Nay" vote here, guys. That means, if you don’t plan on playing any games, vote 'No'. Furthermore, if you plan on playing any games, but don’t feel like participating in an organized tourney, vote 'No' as well. If you feel you would like to participate in such a tourney for ANY game, vote 'Yes'.

EDIT:

If you do vote "Yes", please post what games you would be interested in playing in the tourney. These games will be added to the voting list if things go in the tourney direction.

Also, it would be nice if everyone coming would please vote either way.

Comments

• Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited November 2003
    I am up for pretty much anything.

Unreal Tournament 2003, Halo, Starcraft, C&C Generals, and pretty much whatever anyone else wants.

I am not to picky when it comes to games. It doesn't matter to me on how other people want to get owned! :D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I would like:

Battlefield 1942 w/ Desert Combat
    Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
    Raven Shield
    Unreal Tournament (or 2K3 if enough people want it)
    C&C Generals

Dunno any more games but I'll play any other game except CS :ninja:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Tournies make people wait.

Waiting at a LAN party is dumb.

I vote no.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited November 2003
    :thumbsup:I'd say bring anything thats easily "rip-offable" and lots of CD-Rs lol (shame on me). Games are games, they are all fun.:D
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2003
    I vote yes.

Counter-Strike
    UT2K3

anything else, what ever is the most popular I will go out and get if I don't have it
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Yes.. BF1942 and UT
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Yes:
    Halo
    C&C Generals
    GTA2 (w00t!!!!11six)
  • edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say
    Tournies make people wait.

Waiting at a LAN party is dumb.

I vote no.

Not really.

In the case of team vs. team (there would be two total teams) why would anyone have to wait to play, as everyone who wants in on the tourney, would be playing.

In the case of a FFA, people who are cut, are cut. They wont be 'waiting' to get back in, because, quite simply, they wont be let back in.

I will warn others though, expect to make "sacrifices". For instance; if a group of people want to play StarCraft, but you're in a UT2K3 tourney... it would really, really displease the gods (me) if you ducked out.

And I am a vengeful god. :rarr:
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I might only do up the UT2k3 tourney if there is one, maybe Generals, but you gotta do teams with that. I vote yes. Even if there are tourneys going on, theres gonna be enough people that you'll have other people to play games with while a tourney is progressing
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    I'll probably suck at any game we play (my skill is erratic, dunno), I'm up for CS, Wolf: ET, Starcraft, UT2003 (still gotta go snag that for $20).
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    UT.

UT.

UT.

UT.

UT.

UT.

UT.

UT.

UT.

UT.

Did I mention UT? :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Crimsion Skies!!!
    I guess Unreal Tourn.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited November 2003
    I say we do a 2vs2 Tourny in C&C:Generals

Counter-Strike...Its just too much fun to be left out

UT2k3

Never played BF1942
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    W/E we play is fine with me.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited November 2003
    I voted no since I am not sure if I will have the games chosen for a tourny. Nor am I sure if I would want to play in those games. I might participate; however, if it is BF 1942 (no DC). Aside from that I am up for just playing whatever game is sanctioned or whatever people are playing at the time. The games I would like to play are:

BF 1942 (DC is ok but I prefer classic)
    Diablo II
    Age of Empires II
    Red Alert 2 (or generals if I can find a copy though I've never played.)
    Halo
    Any other games I can get my hands on.

Norge
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I vote no cause there are always some sort of problems coming up on a Lan. Game's that runs on one client but won't on the other etc. If that leaves the others waiting, it's getting annoying in the end. On the other hand, i have never attended a REAL LAN such as this one so i might be way out of line here.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I'm of the same opinion as Camman:

If you don't want to participate in a given tournament (for example, I suck at and dislike RTS games, so I won't be participating in any RTS tournaments), there's still gonna be other people that are gonna be playing what you want to play. Nobody said you can't play whatever you want while you're "waiting" for the tournament.. I can't imagine how any waiting is gonna take place....
  • edited November 2003
    primesuspect had this to say
    I'm of the same opinion as Camman:

If you don't want to participate in a given tournament (for example, I suck at and dislike RTS games, so I won't be participating in any RTS tournaments), there's still gonna be other people that are gonna be playing what you want to play. Nobody said you can't play whatever you want while you're "waiting" for the tournament.. I can't imagine how any waiting is gonna take place....

My thoughts exactly.

As far as what Mack says:

The servers will be running the latest update of the official server for each game. Due to this, we will strongly advise everyone to have all games fully updated to the latest version. Keep in mind the... method you acquired... a particular game may effect it's stability when played over a LAN.

For instance, UT2K3's server will actually kick all non-legal keys from the game, as these keys get checked with the master online server. This means, that even when playing a burned copy of UT2K3 over a LAN, and being connected to a dedicated server, you will be instantaneously knocked out of the game. I have seen others experience this with my own two eyes, so I know it for a fact.

In short: As long as everyone has legit, fully updated copies of whatever game played, there shouldn’t be any problems. If you are using an illegally acquired game, and you are having difficulty connecting/playing because of it, that’s tough sh!t. This is why legal copies of these games is advised.
    edited November 2003
    TheSmJ had this to say
    primesuspect had this to say
    This is why legal copies of these games is advised.

I buy them cause I like the box. Like the guy on the UT2k3 Box looks all badass and like he's gonna kick my ass, so, I put the box on my desk in front of my keyboard and whenever I'm getting my ass kicked in a game and want to quit I look down and say "no, don't quit, start kicking ass and taking names, if not for yourself, then, for that guy and his big gun"
    edited November 2003
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2003
    Camman you are a weird guy, haha You could always put a picture of me in front of your computer and everytime you look up you will be like "ohh baby" lol
  • edited November 2003
    so is it 10/7?

I dunno.... being as I doubt all 10 of you wont be all playing the same games, I doubt a tourny would be worthwile...

I'll conspire with Psudo.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    That's still only 17 of 42(?) votes.
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited November 2003
    Frankly guys, I probably won't be playing a hella lot of tourneys. why? I suck. I'd be done in the first fifteen minutes or less. You'll find me by the consoles, where I suck minimally less.

but I voted yes, since I know 40 people raring to play games never works well without some organization. Plus, I have a copy of Halo around here some where. I'll have to dig for other things, but I'm ALWAYS good for Diablo II.
  • edited November 2003
    Well, we need to get everyone here, and Psudo and I would like to get things finalized soon (at least I would).
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    UT2003, UT, Quake 3 and CounterStrike should be the only "official" tournaments. Realistically, are we going to have time to play all these different tournaments in the 48 hours allotted?

You need some organization to playing games, but invariably, you are going to get people who don't want to participate in the tournaments. :)
    edited November 2003
    JLunar had this to say
    Frankly guys, I probably won't be playing a hella lot of tourneys. why? I suck. I'd be done in the first fifteen minutes or less. You'll find me by the consoles, where I suck minimally less.

but I voted yes, since I know 40 people raring to play games never works well without some organization. Plus, I have a copy of Halo around here some where. I'll have to dig for other things, but I'm ALWAYS good for Diablo II.

Yeah I'm gonna make sure I have my copy of D2 along also. I'm always up for that. We could have a non-official D2 dueling tourny too. That might be fun. It wouldn't have to be formal but anyone who was playing D2 while the other tournies were going on could join in.

Norge
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    TheSmJ had this to say
    Well, we need to get everyone here, and Psudo and I would like to get things finalized soon (at least I would).

I would also :)
  • edited November 2003
    Well ok, umm...

Psudo and I will decide on the specifics. We're thinking UT, BF1942, and possibly Starcraft.

If a decision gets made that you do not agree with, blame Psudo.
    edited November 2003
    Those would be the only games we play? Not that they are bad games but we could fit in more than 3 couldn't we?

Norge