RAID trouble, showing offline...

edited October 2008 in Hardware
Ok, so I stupidly installed Vista Premium after setting up and getting a RAID to work. I hooked up two 1TB WD Caviars and set them up in a RAID 1 configuration. After getting it all working and serving all my media, I decided to change Vista Business to Premium. I installed the OS on a separate hard drive than the RAID, but now when I boot up the RAID doesn't show. When I go into Disk Management, the RAID shows up but "Offline." What do I do?????

When I right-click it gives me the option to change it from Dynamic to Basic, but that would wipe out all the data.... any suggestions???

I'm on an nForce 680i SLI motherboard.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2008
    Uhhh why is it seen as a dynamic drive? You used the OS to make a raid-1 drive not a controller?

long sigh.... I'll be back.

Cowboy
    edited October 2008
    try and google its your friend. Apparently Vista CURRENTLY is having probs with raid-1 drives. Some has to do with drfiver versions it seems. Some do not!

Unhook one drive from that array and see if your data is OK. It should be.
    edited October 2008
    there are scores of forum posts with folks having probs with raid-1 and vista online when you google. I didnt sort it out by your chipset and driver version etc... But try and google for it and see what ya find. I am sorry I didnt want to spend hours doing this ! Just pointing ya toward how to find the solution yourself

Best of luck

Cowboy
  • edited October 2008
    Hey thanks for the effort! I don't know what the problem was/is. I switched back to Vista Business and now its working again!! I am grateful that I didn't lose my content, though I was never really afraid I would. I just want to know why it wasn't working with Vista Premium now? I want to use Vista Premium so that i can use Media Center.

I set it up as a dynamic drive, I thought it needed to be when creating a RAID. This is my first RAID and I couldn't find any walkthroughs so i had to do it myself...
    edited October 2008
    do you have a raid controller onboard? You only need dynamic if you dont as windows can do raid-1 internally with dynamic disks.

Dont do that

use the controller and I bet you would of been ok
  • edited October 2008
    I used the motherboard to set up the RAID it has it built in. So you're saying I shouldn't have set it up as dynamic disk? Does it matter now?