My pledge to myself

TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
edited October 2008 in Fitness
I don't know why I am writing this. Maybe its because I've tried so hard in the past to lose weight and I always end up stopping. Maybe I think if I get it out there I might keep up with it??

Here's my story: I've always been overweight. Ever since I can remember I was one of the fat kids in class. And finally I'm getting sick of it, to the point where I want to change that. I've tried in the past to workout, and it starts off great for a week, sometimes two, then I lose my motivation for whatever reason. I mean its not like its hard to go to the rec center here on campus, its right across the street. I guess I get distracted by things going on in my dorm or by classes (generally its not classes). Or maybe its because I don't see any changes.

Anyways, here's my pledge to myself: I will workout at least 5 times a week and change my eating habits to be more healthy. There, thats the easy part done. Now to actually stick with it...

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Awesome :) Best of luck to you :) My dad did the same thing by eating healthily, he wasn't overweight just larger than he wanted to be. Stirfrys and chilli beef ramen, noodles replaced most things lol :tongue:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Woo!
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Awesomesauce jj6400. You can do it! :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Here is what I did when I was facing the same as you. Find a time that you can stick to go (for me it's 6.30am). Build it into your routine, so it's just part of your day as much as having lunch or going to class. You have to make it totally routine and let nothing distract you.

Remember also that you are just starting to work out again, you will feel some muscle pain and exhausted from seems like a small bit of exercise. After a few weeks, this will go away and suddenly what almost killed you is effectively a warm up. Remember to keep thinking about how it felt when you started and how much easier it feels. You can then start challenging yourself. One extra set of reps and 5 more minutes on the bike/rower/treadmill.

Diet is important to and I am sure many others will have suggestions for that.

The other challenge is to find something you basically can only squeeze into. Then see how they fit a month later. I stopped being able to fit my suits for work and they are starting to fit again. I am pleased!
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    You can do it Jimmy! Take Idiot_Slayer with you, i'm sure he wouldn't mind the exercise ;)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    So this last little go at getting in shape failed...completely. Probably had something to do with not having a workout buddy :/. But its time to get back on the right path.

For the last few weeks, one of my roommates and I have been going to the gym before class Monday through Friday. It seems to be easier to get up knowing that I have someone else going with me. We've been lifting weights and I'm gonna try to start running on the weekends (hopefully). So far in the past few weeks I've lost 5-10 lbs. while adding muscle and increasing the weight I'm lifting. I'll try to keep updating here as we go.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Keep going, buddy! The best thing you can do is post your progress day by day. It's kept me on track, because I know tons of people will watch me fail if I bum out on it.

You can do it, man.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2008
    Good progress, keep at it. I'm glad you decided to stick with it.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Use your blog to keep track of it!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Ok Jimmeh, get pumped up man. You can do this.

I can relate VERY closely to you right now. I was in your position no more than 2 years ago. I too grew up overweight, never could get in healthy habits, ect. 2 years ago I finally set my foot down and decided to make a change in my life.

Theres a few things that are going to help make this a reality. The first thing - which you seem to have gotten down - exercise with a friend. This was imperative to my success in getting healthy. In school I worked out with a group of 6 guys. If you have more than one, you've got 'back ups' for those days someone has homework or is too lazy. You can encourage each other, and friendly competition always helps you to push yourself.

Be it 1 or 10, just find people to work out with who will be as comitted as you. It helps so much. It's also a big help to be friends with healthy workout types. Many of my gamer friends were also into fitness. You are who your friends are.

And as others - and common sense - will tell you, don't expect to have incredible workouts at first. When I started running back then I would only be able to run 3/4 a mile before I'd have to walk. Now days I can make it 4 miles without stopping. You will naturally progress in ability, and you can kind of gauge growth based on that.

Eating habits - big deal obviously. One of the best things I did while getting healthy was to ditch all soft drinks. I used to drink a lot of coke and dew throughout the day. Now I drink 1 soda every other week at most. I don't miss it, and replacing it with water or fruit juices has done wonders for my health. I also carry around a jug of water (as in 32oz) everywhere I go. At home, to work, to my friends. I just drink water throughout the day. Keeps me properly hydrated - which helps during workout - and it helps me curb some hunger. So many people go each day dehydrated....

Food... I honestly wasn't so worried about it. I cut back proportions, but not to a huge degree. I'm a big man, I've got to eat to fill this 6 foot 7 body of mine. But no more snacking between meals an no food after 9pm was what really helped in my diet.

And finally, find some inspiration, some motivation, to get you going and keep you going.

I hate to admit this and don't want to say it, but I'm going to anyways. When I first made the decision to start running and getting healthy in college it was because of a girl I was crazy for at the time. See, she was a runner (and I am my father's son. Sorry, Wolf Parade reference, couldn't resist) and we would talk about running and such. She ran the Chicago marathon a few times, I thought that was really cool. And because men do crazy things when they're head over heels for a girl, I decided one night that I was going to start running (I don't know WHY, to run with her? To talk about running with her? crap if I know what the directive was) and get serious about my health. Talked to some of my friends, lots of them were interested, and we got started.

Eventually, graduation happened, my interest in the girl dissolved, and everyone moves forward. But I found that I really enjoyed running, and I loved the benefits of working out and getting healthy so I stuck with it. Within a year I was down almost 40 pounds and was building healthy muscle. 2 Years later and I'm running 3-4 miles a day and training to run some 5k's next summer.

It can be done my friend. Motivate yourself, and commit to it! Don't give up. It will suck at first, trust me. But reach back to that thing that motivates you and let that be your power. Let it fuel you. And no matter what happens, always move forward.

Images attatched are of me back in 2003 (not nearly the peak of my fatness) and me currently. Getting in shape is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

You're in good company here. need help with anything, you know where to find us.
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Haven't started writing down what we've been doing yet, but I'm going to start doing that. So far we've been having problems with going everyday, we both are just too tired the next day. We've just been doing every other day, hopefully we can change that.

We are doing a schedule of
    Back, Shoulders, Biceps
    Chest, Triceps, Abs
    Legs
    with 3 exercises for each muscle and 3 sets for each exercise. I've always heard that for toning you should do more reps at less weight and this seems to be what I should be going for (let me know if not!!!), so I do reps of 15, 12, 10 for each exercise.
    edited October 2008
    Get ripped jimmeh! Feel free to use my sig as encouragement:bigggrin:
    edited October 2008
    Jimmeh, there are a whole bunch of us aiming to be ripped by ICExpo2009. SORT THAT OUT and join the elite club.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2008
    I'm gonna chime in on a few things here in the interest of your success. For starters where are you now? How old are you? What do you weigh? Do you know what your bodyfat percentage is?

Next thing I'm gonna toss out is a general piece of advice. Don't do too much too soon. You posted earlier "I'm going to work out at least 5 times a week!"...well thats great, but its also a pretty tall order. Everybody's got will power and some have more than others. End of the day though, if you try to make changes that are so big and so far out of whats normal for you all at once...you're going to get burned out, fast.

You're going to get sore because you're going to be doing way too much way too soon and thats going to make you keeping a schedule very miserable. Then you are gonna skip a workout or a run or whatever. Then it'll be two. Then you won't be doing anything at all and you're back where you started. You need to ease into a new workout routine. I ease into new routines and I've been working out pretty seriously for going on 7 years now. For example I've been busy lately, sick, and I've lost two family members in a little more than a month to old age and illness. I haven't been lifting regularly for probably a month and a half. I'm easing myself back into it. I know if I try to dive into the same nutrition plan and lifting routine I was doing when I stopped I'd be burnt out in no time. Its too much...too fast.

I asked about where you are now because thats important at getting an idea of what your starting point is. The next question becomes...what is your goal? That also comes with my next piece of advice. Set concrete, attainable, mid-range goals. Don't say..."I"m gonna work out and get ripped! Thats my goal!" Thats ridiculous. It doesn't work that way. The pro's that are ripped...took years to get where they are. You aren't gonna do it in 8 weeks even if you had the time and money they do, which you don't.

My advice to you in the beginning would be keep it simple. From what I gather you don't need a 3-5 day training split at your level. Its not necessary right now and its probably not even beneficial with regard to your getting the kind of positive feedback mentally and physically that you need to continue. You absolutely need to run if you're overweight and looking to reduce it. Interval training is probably the best cardiovascular exercise on the planet you can do. It doesn't take the time you would need to run 4 or 5 miles, you'll burn more calories anyway, and the reduction in stress on your body will allow you to do it more often.

Self esteem is an issue with running. A lot of people don't like to run at a track thats populated by a bunch of other people when they get started. To that I say either join 24 hour fitness or find a track thats open all night or even pick a route to run through your neighborhood later on at night. The goal is to run, make whatever other concessions necessary to achieve it.

Start out and shoot for say 4-6 intervals. Run as hard as you can at a pace that you can maintain for a full minute. Then drop to a brisk walking pace for a minute, thats your recover. Thats one interval. Shoot for 4-6 of those your first time and see how ya do. Take 3 days off. Then go again. Don't even try to add intervals yet. Do the same 4-6 intervals every 3-4 days for a solid two weeks. You'll realize its getting easier with time. As you start feeling better about it add an extra interval or two to your routine. You'll be amazed how quick the improvements come but you need to be consistent with it. Thats why I say try doing one of those workouts every 3-4 days at first. You want plenty of time to rest and you don't want to commit yourself to doing it more often than your body or your will can handle in the beginning.

Lifting. I'd say you're off to a great start with that already by going with a buddy. Whats his fitness level compared to yours? I'd suggest going at most 3 times a week in the beginning. No more than two exercises per muscle group. Stick to the compound stuff in the beginning. Deadlifts, squats, bench press, etc. Those will give you the biggest strength gains, they work multiple muscles at the same time, and it'll keep you from setting yourself up for a 2 hour gym workout. Thats a lot to ask of yourself in the beginning.

Nutrition. Cut your carbohydrate intake back. Sources of protein are to be virtually unlimited. If you're still hungry, eat more protein. Don't add a second helping of pasta. Take another slice of chicken or fish or whatever. I could go more into nutrition but maybe Nomad will cover it. I have to start thinkin about going to work. Good luck.
    edited October 2008
    Wow, what a post. First off the part about me going 5 times a week was posted a long time ago. I feel into the exact predicament you laid out there, go a few times and then start skipping and then just stop. I feel I'm a little wiser now and am trying to take getting into it slower.

My workout buddy and I are are at about the same strength level, some things he can lift a little more on and vice-versa. As for my starting level:
    weight: 240 (I really hate that number, but its getting better, I am 2 lower than last week. Seems like no matter what I've done I've been stuck at 250 for a couple years so just some change is encouraging.)
    bodyfat: idk

Now onto the topic of running. I know I need to start running. That's easy. The hard part is motivating myself to do it. I absolutely despise running. Would it be possible to get similar results from biking or something else? I'm not trying to make cut out a prime part of the effort, just trying to make that part of the effort more enjoyable.

As for nutrition, I'm gonna give a look at a further look at a book recommendation from Thrax. Hopefully I can get some good info from there.

Thanks for the advice so far, I do appreciate it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Jump roping! I hate running. I do... not... like... running.
    edited October 2008
    Keep at it Jimmeh, we ALL know you can do it. You aren't just anyone, you are OUR Jimmeh. Do it dude.
    edited October 2008
    I hate running too Tiberius. I hate it so much. But I run a lot. At this point I'm good at it, so I keep doing it. I still don't like it.

Music! Music helps so much with running! I put on stuff that I love, stuff that pumps me up, go outside, crank it up, and just get lost in the music. I know my route and I keep going. But I pay attention to the music. I don't even know that I'm running really. Don't pay attention to how far I've gone, how tired I am.. I just listen to the music.

Though it has it's drawbacks. I got attacked by a dog once because I was lost in the music. I kicked the dog and moved on though.

But if you still don't want to run, just know any cardio will do the job. Jump roping, biking (though you need to push yourself, ride in low gears or up hills, and much longer distances). Swimming will do it as well - and swimming will work your upper body too. Most cardio involves your lower body.
    edited October 2008
    hahaha! Icrontic byte get!

Dog attack is a very true story though, it wasn't a laughing matter at the time... The dog snuck up on me and had initiative.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I know you can do it man. Once you start seeing or feeling results, you'll want to keep going and going.
    UPSLynx wrote:
    hahaha! Icrontic byte get!

Dog attack is a very true story though, it wasn't a laughing matter at the time... The dog snuck up on me and had initiative.

How big was it?
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2008
    Wow, what a post. First off the part about me going 5 times a week was posted a long time ago. I feel into the exact predicament you laid out there, go a few times and then start skipping and then just stop. I feel I'm a little wiser now and am trying to take getting into it slower.

My workout buddy and I are are at about the same strength level, some things he can lift a little more on and vice-versa. As for my starting level:
    weight: 240 (I really hate that number, but its getting better, I am 2 lower than last week. Seems like no matter what I've done I've been stuck at 250 for a couple years so just some change is encouraging.)
    bodyfat: idk

Now onto the topic of running. I know I need to start running. That's easy. The hard part is motivating myself to do it. I absolutely despise running. Would it be possible to get similar results from biking or something else? I'm not trying to make cut out a prime part of the effort, just trying to make that part of the effort more enjoyable.

As for nutrition, I'm gonna give a look at a further look at a book recommendation from Thrax. Hopefully I can get some good info from there.

Thanks for the advice so far, I do appreciate it.

You sound like me at the same age. Anyways, yeah, you need to run. Intervals are about the best cardio you can do bar none. If it makes you feel any better I felt the same way when I was getting started. I hated running. Couldn't run more than about a quarter mile or so without stoppin. Once you get used to it and you do it more often it will take less effort and you'll see big results from it.

I run a few miles worth of intervals each week these days just to maintain some cardiovascular health and keep my weight from fluctuating. I'm at altitude now...if you think intervals are rough. Try them over uneven terrain at 5000+ feet.
    edited October 2008
    Don't forget about the inspirational music. I've seen a lot of movies now, and the montage is not to be underestimated.
    edited October 2008
    LawnMM wrote:
    You sound like me at the same age. Anyways, yeah, you need to run. Intervals are about the best cardio you can do bar none. If it makes you feel any better I felt the same way when I was getting started. I hated running. Couldn't run more than about a quarter mile or so without stoppin. Once you get used to it and you do it more often it will take less effort and you'll see big results from it.

I run a few miles worth of intervals each week these days just to maintain some cardiovascular health and keep my weight from fluctuating. I'm at altitude now...if you think intervals are rough. Try them over uneven terrain at 5000+ feet.

OK, tomorrow I'm gonna try to get started on a running routine. Think I'll do it in the evening, I HATE getting up early. We'll see how it goes.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2008
    Do it whenever you want just remember that consistency is key. If you flake on how often you do it your body won't adapt as efficiently and that means its still gonna be hard and miserable. Thats how I know I'm slacking. My performance suffers and it takes more will power to keep going when my body wants to stop.

The one trick with cardio though, maybe you decide you're gonna run on wednesday and thats a day you and your buddy are gonna go lift. Lift first. ALWAYS do cardio AFTER you lift. If you do it before you're gonna hurt your performance in the gym.

Just try the intervals. The great thing about that is that its a great workout in only a little time. 15-30 minutes and you will be WHIPPED. That is important as it'll help minimize your body attacking its muscle for fuel which is a bigger concern when you're running say 2+ miles at a steady jog. Steady pace jogging/running will burn more calories in the moment because its more expensive calorie wise to keep running for 2 miles than it does when you take a break between sprints. The difference is the intervals literally kick your metabolism in the ass and it'll be ramped up for hours afterwards. With a steady jog, your calorie burn ends the minute you stop running.

A little on diet. You want 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, per day, at a minimum. I don't care where ya get it from but hit that every day. As far as your carbohydrate intake, I wouldn't worry about it as much right now. We'll start tweaking macronutrient levels later on when we have to. For now hit the 1g/lb mark and run no more than twice a week the first two weeks. If you want to up that after two full weeks you can go to three times a week but leave it at that. Here's the hard part. I want you to stay off the scale for the next two weeks. I want you to try and do four cardio sessions like I described, two each week, for the next two weeks while hitting the 1g/lb rule. At the end of two full weeks you can get on the scale again. It'll be lower, I guarantee it.

Don't get obsessed with scale weight. Invest in a scale that uses bio impedance to measure bodyfat levels. Each method of measuring bodyfat is fairly inaccurate. The good news is they're all consistently inaccurate. So while it may tell you you're at 17% and you're really at 19%. Over time if you see a measured loss of two percent and its reading 15% when you're at 17% the inaccuracy isn't important. Whats significant is you can track a trend with it. Get on the scale at most, once a week. Any more frequently and you're going to dishearten yourself with daily fluctuations in water weight that aren't significant.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    It took me 11 months of Kung Fu before I managed to get myself into a regular 3-times-a-week routine. I've finally got the willpower to stop the excuses and get there, but it felt like forever to get this far.

When you have the option to run or do something else, decide which is more important to you and do it.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    It took me 11 months of Kung Fu before I managed to get myself into a regular 3-times-a-week routine. I've finally got the willpower to stop the excuses and get there, but it felt like forever to get this far.

When you have the option to run or do something else, decide which is more important to you and do it.

I was thinking about things among the motivation side of fitness the other day. Reminds me of White Goodman in Dodgeball..."That was me...250 pounds overweight, before I hated myself enough to do something about it!" Its in jest but there's a hint of truth in it. You do need to motivate yourself. Visuals are pretty powerful. Take a photo of yourself Tiberius and put one next to the tv, one on the fridge, one on your headboard...etc. Places where you would be spending time instead of working out. So if you find yourself in one of those funky "don't really feel like running/working out/whatever" moods and you sit down in front of the tv...thats what you see. Might be helpful. Buddy of mine did that and it worked really well for him. The pictures were a constant reminder of what he wanted to get away from and it was a powerful motivator.
    edited October 2008
    Started the running thing today. Four intervals, one minute each.Probably could have done more but my asthma kicked in making it slightly hard to breathe. Been tired as hell since I got back but my mind won't let me fall asleep. Gotta love it.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2008
    You mean you ran for a minute and walked a minute or ran for 30 and walked for 30? 1 complete interval is the run and the rest together.
    edited October 2008
    LawnMM wrote:
    You mean you ran for a minute and walked a minute or ran for 30 and walked for 30? 1 complete interval is the run and the rest together.

The former. 1 and 1.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2008
    Ok. Continue then! Work up to more of them. I usually do about 10 of them in a given workout. Works out to around 20 minutes of cardio and around 2 miles of distance. If you go much beyond a half hour to forty minutes of cardio it gets less beneficial physically and it starts wearing on your motivation. I like the interval workouts because you're whipped in about 20-30 mins if you do them the way you should and it doesn't beat the hell out of your feet and shins like an hour worth of jogging. You can follow up and do the same cardio workouts more often with the intervals. Its a good system. Stick with it and it'll reward you with fat burning goodness.