Quick-and-Dirty Guide to Start Folding!

13»

Comments

• FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited January 2008
    How do I know if it's working? I can see it in my services but how do I know?

I clicked on my "Team 93" icon and it says that there is no info on it.

Also a signature, I can't find my username to create a F@H sig.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    You have to wait until your first work unit is complete and turned into Stanford. THEN the database has to propagate down to our server... it takes a day or so usually. :)
  • edited June 2008
    Sure, not a problem.. But what is 'folding'?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2008
    Purplez wrote:
    Sure, not a problem.. But what is 'folding'?
    :eek: reads here http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

This link provides the definition.

Many of us are in it primarily for the fight against deadly and debilitating diseases. A side benefit of it can be the fun and challenge of getting the most out of our PCs.
  • edited August 2008
    hi,

i decided to join folding at home a week ago whilst reading the thread in an internet cafe in Lima, Peru. i have followed Keebler's instructions to the 4th point where it veered off. there was no: "Launch automatically at machine startup, installing this as a service?" question just an ok button...

i clicked "ok" and the whole thing disappeared into a little icon in the bottom left bit of the screen. i have right-clicked the icon and quitted then double clicked the icon i put on my desktop. that doesen't open a page just the bottom right icon appears.

any help?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I have no idea never seen a choice for that, confused me too but I just do it myself. Check here though if you really want to add it, since you are folding if you have a 8xxx series or better NVidia card or 4xxx vid card check the GPU2 folding forum it can help you to increase your ppd.
  • Randal-ThorRandal-Thor Australia
    edited October 2008
    Hey guys.

I downloaded both versions of 6.20, as I didn't know which one to use. I installed the first one, but it didn't ask me any of the questions you gave answers to at the start. So I uninstalled it and ran the second download. This opened up a command prompt and asked me most of the questions you show at the start. It didn't ask me about startup. I rebooted, but it wasn't anywhere so I installed it from the other file.

I have now had my Folding@Home application going all day. It has managed to do 1350/2500. But if I go to my rankings, everything is zero. When do I start getting points? Is it everytime I complete a work packet?

I look forward to helping this cause.:)
    edited October 2008
    The 1350/2500 is how much of one WU you have done so far, you have to turn in a full WU to get any points, and once one has been turned in it might take some time to get your stats started and for the points to show up.
    edited October 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    The 1350/2500 is how much of one WU you have done so far, you have to turn in a full WU to get any points, and once one has been turned in it might take some time to get your stats started and for the points to show up.

Ah, that makes sense. Cool. I have already finished one, 3 are close and one is faraway (I have it running on 5 computers). I like the idea.:)
    edited October 2008
    Well good, dedication over time is the key and glad to have you on board.
    edited October 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    Well good, dedication over time is the key and glad to have you on board.

Thanks.:)

I just have 1 question. Whenever any of the computers running Folding@Home reboot, Folding@Home will startup, but it will say it is anonymous and begin starting from scratch. If I then close it and open it from the start menu, it continues from where it left off before I rebooted under my name.

Any ideas why it isn't starting up with all my saved settings?
    edited October 2008
    nope i don't have mine set up to run on reboot.
    edited October 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    nope i don't have mine set up to run on reboot.

Well, the other 4 machines I have this running on have it startup fine. It just appears that mine isn't working. Is it because I installed it through the command prompt perhaps as well as through the installer? How can i remove the command prompt version?
    edited October 2008
    Just delete all the files in the folder. Looks like you can just unistall just run the windows unistall too, my file structure in my folding folders is crazy messed up but it looks like it installs itself as a regular program as well. The big difference between the command instal is that you do everything with comman and it doesn't minimize into your tray, which can be solved with TrayIt(its nice if you run extra stuff all the time).
    edited October 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    Just delete all the files in the folder. Looks like you can just unistall just run the windows unistall too, my file structure in my folding folders is crazy messed up but it looks like it installs itself as a regular program as well. The big difference between the command instal is that you do everything with comman and it doesn't minimize into your tray, which can be solved with TrayIt(its nice if you run extra stuff all the time).

So you reckon I should delete the program folder in program files and run a program called Tray It to remove the command prompt?
    edited October 2008
    No the TrayIt is if you end up running the command line version all the time, it will take apps and place them in the tray for you when you minimize them
    edited October 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    No the TrayIt is if you end up running the command line version all the time, it will take apps and place them in the tray for you when you minimize them

Ah, right. So how do I remove the command version? Just delete the program folder in program files? But won't that also delete the installed version?
    edited October 2008
    Not if you delete the correct one, just check to see where your shortcut icon points too and delete that.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Hey guys.

I downloaded both versions of 6.20, as I didn't know which one to use. I installed the first one, but it didn't ask me any of the questions you gave answers to at the start. So I uninstalled it and ran the second download. This opened up a command prompt and asked me most of the questions you show at the start. It didn't ask me about startup. I rebooted, but it wasn't anywhere so I installed it from the other file.

I have now had my Folding@Home application going all day. It has managed to do 1350/2500. But if I go to my rankings, everything is zero. When do I start getting points? Is it everytime I complete a work packet?

I look forward to helping this cause.:)
    Welcome to the Folding Family. :bigggrin:
    edited October 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Welcome to the Folding Family. :bigggrin:

Haha thanks. I am really enjoying it. It is such a good cause.:)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Randal, thanks for joining the team. I'll answer two of your questions.

1. Where did your first GPU2 installation go? Check C:\Documents and Settings\(one of the accounts)\application data\folding@home-gpu. Right click on the .exe file and create a shortcut that you can place anywhere.

If you are using the version with the graphical model of the folding protein, don't leave the display open very long. It will cut your production significantly.

2) The results of your production, as posted at the Folding site and other locations, is not real time. You will need to wait probably 24 hours before your production data is posted.

Again, thanks for joining our team!
    edited October 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Randal, thanks for joining the team. I'll answer two of your questions.

1. Where did your first GPU2 installation go? Check C:\Documents and Settings\(one of the accounts)\application data\folding@home-gpu. Right click on the .exe file and create a shortcut that you can place anywhere.

If you are using the version with the graphical model of the folding protein, don't leave the display open very long. It will cut your production significantly.

2) The results of your production, as posted at the Folding site and other locations, is not real time. You will need to wait probably 24 hours before your production data is posted.

Again, thanks for joining our team!

Hey Leonardo. Thanks for the response.

I followed your instructions and found 2 .exe files (FAHCore_78 and FAHCore_82). Which one is the one I want?
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I just installed it and I did steps 1-3. But it never asked me step 4.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Updated the first post to account for dual core systems :) Sorry Weez, gotta start over :o
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I am now running 2 clients in F@H!!!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Woohoo! :rockon:
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Now can you add GPU instructions? :D
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I joined the team.