Far Cry 2 - first impression and mini-review

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Science & Tech
My goodness, this game is good. I'm hesitant to say that I like ? even love ? this game because I didn't buy into the hype of Far Cry 2 until, well, four days ago. I just couldn't get excited about it. I was a huge fan of Far Cry when it was released, but that game's bread and butter, the Crytek team, went on to develop Crysis without Ubisoft. To me, Crysis was the true successor... Continue reading

Comments

• UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Very nice write up. Makes me want to play this game EVEN MORE now.
  • edited October 2008
    Actually, motion blur is not realistic in any way. The human eye doesn't work on a continually opening and closing shutter like a camera, hence why we don't get motion blur in real life.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Is it even worth it for me to buy it with my lame 8800gt?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Decko wrote:
    Actually, motion blur is not realistic in any way. The human eye doesn't work on a continually opening and closing shutter like a camera, hence why we don't get motion blur in real life.

So if you wave your hand in front of your face as fast as you can you don't see any blur whatsoever? Right.
    wrote:
    [v][AGIC]Is it even worth it for me to buy it with my lame 8800gt?

From what I've seen, the Dunia game engine scales far better than CryEngine 2, which is what Crysis was built on. Mid-range systems should see good gameplay.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Great write up Lynx. Made it so I just had to try the game for myself. I am matching your sentiments exactly thus far.

One thing has been bothering me though. Mouse movements seem to be slow responding and very non-sensitive. This game is a shooter. I like to be able to aim in a shooter, but so far the hardest part of a battle has been struggling with being able to aim fast enough to hit much of anything. If I put the sensitivity at full, which it is, I should be doing circles with a slight movement like in nearly every other fps I have ever played. Maybe I just need to look harder for a fix.

This is still a great game for all fps lovers.
    edited October 2008
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']Is it even worth it for me to buy it with my lame 8800gt?
    I can play Crysis on HIGH settings on my 8800GT and still get great FPS. You should be able to run FarCry2 just fine.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    I can play Crysis on HIGH settings on my 8800GT and still get great FPS. You should be able to run FarCry2 just fine.
    But you have a 1.21 Jiggawatt OCZ PSU and OMGWTF MHz OCZ ram :D:rockon:
    edited October 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    But you have a 1.21 Jiggawatt OCZ PSU and OMGWTF MHz OCZ ram :D:rockon:
    This is also so true.:D And the thanks to this success goes to you.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:

On a 24 inch monitor it doesnt work so well, ive tried. but, im going to pick it up while im out today. havent played a good game in wile.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2008
    Went out and got it this morning. Terrific. If I have one criticism it is that I'd like to see more wildlife. Yeah, it's not Crysis but it is a great game nevertheless. Loving it.
    Oh, and I'm playing with an 8800GTS. When I went to video options they were all set at the highest setting and it runs beautifully.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Awesome, I think I am going to pick it up sometimes next week. Gotta put my new rig to the rest.

Yeah pushing any of the new games with high settings on a 24" 1920x1200 res is always fun. It usually either scales just fine without much noticable fps drop, or just tanks :D
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']On a 24 inch monitor it doesnt work so well, ive tried. but, im going to pick it up while im out today. havent played a good game in wile.

Gotta love native resolutions!

Tiberius - I know what you're talking about. I did some research and it seems the devs have hard-coded MOUSE ACCELERATION into the game.

Consoles.. thanks for nothing.

But there are some hacks that'll fix that. I'm giving it a try tonight and I'll post the results on here.

Also, motion blur happens in real life. True story. Drive your car at 90mph, look at the ground beside you. That crap blurs. No shutter needed. It's not a matter of having a shutter, it has everything to do with how fast your brain percieves an image.
    edited October 2008
    OK Tiberius I think we've got a solution

Go to mydocs/mygames/farcry2/GamerProfile.xml

Set UseMouseSmooth="0" Smoothness="0" Smoothness_Ironsight="0"

Make sure all 3 of those are set to 0.

Give it a try. The game felt a lot better to me after I did that.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    OK Tiberius I think we've got a solution

Go to mydocs/mygames/farcry2/GamerProfile.xml

Set UseMouseSmooth="0" Smoothness="0" Smoothness_Ironsight="0"

Make sure all 3 of those are set to 0.

Give it a try. The game felt a lot better to me after I did that.

Yes sir. Those will do the trick and make the game actually feel like a pc fps.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Nice Report Bro! I need to get my lazy butt out and buy it.
    edited October 2008
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    Nice Report Bro! I need to get my lazy butt out and buy it.
    Not until you start playing tf2 again.
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, you should buy it and join Tiberiuslazarus and I in the online multiplayer, since it's epic and far better than Crysis' MP.

Just kidding Weezer. I love jabbing you with this ;) FC2 MP is fun though. Something special about setting the african countryside on fire while Jimmeh flies around on a hang glider.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Not until you start playing tf2 again.

^ this
    edited October 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Yeah, you should buy it and join Tiberiuslazarus and I in the online multiplayer, since it's epic and far better than Crysis' MP.

Just kidding Weezer. I love jabbing you with this ;) FC2 MP is fun though. Something special about setting the african countryside on fire while Jimmeh flies around on a hang glider.
    It sounds really fun. But alas, no money. Until Christmas, my friends.
    edited October 2008
    ^ this

the official word - Hitmans got network issues.

Not kidding.

There's always something. Now his net connection drops out every few seconds. Not his rig either (which is a wired connection to his router). Fooman's laptop as well as my laptop had the same symptoms when we were over at his house on the wireless.

Going wired straight to the modem - bypassing the router - has the same problem. I think it's the ISP. Hitmans should call the ISP, I'm out of ideas on it.

Oh, and Prime. icwutudidthar
  • edited March 2010
    About motion blur: take a look at this screen http://store.steampowered.com/screenshot/view/19900/3/?size=800

This is Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition, I think it's only on steam. I don't know if motion blur in just for DX10 or DX9 has it too...
    edited March 2010
    Man, sure would be nice if they patched the original games to have that functionality. Looks really good, but hardly worth purchasing an expanded edition for.