need to make a choice soon

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited October 2008 in Hardware
I want to order everything next week for my new build and I am having trouble picking out a graphics card for it. I do not over clock anything because I am after stability more that anything else. So far this is what I am about to order.....
DFI LP LT P35
E8400 Wolfdale
4GB Mushkin DDR2 1066
PC Power and Cooling 610 watt
freezer pro 7
Antec 900

I was looking at getting a Nvidia 8800gts but the pickings are slim for them right now. So I was thinking about a 9800gtx but have not read any great reviews about them. I might have just enough money to afford a Nvidia 260. I am a gamer more than anything else, so that is what the rig will be used for most of the time. I was looking at ATI's but it seems like they still have driver issues like they always did. Its not like I am a Nvidia fanboy but I never had problems with Nvidia cards or their drivers. When I update drivers for Nvidia cards I never had to uninstall the old ones, I just install over the top of them and never had any issues from the Nvidia 1 up to the Nvidia 6 series.. I will give ATI some credit though. I am running a X1950 Pro now with a FX-55 Cpu and I am running games that I should not be able to play...Assassins Creed and Farcry 2 are running fine for me with this rig. So to sum it up I guess my real question will be the 9800gtx or the 260? I do not plan on running 2 video cards. Any input on ATI or Nvidia will be much appreciated.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2008
    Looks like it should be a good build. If you are not planning to overclock, I'd take a look at a different motherboard. With the DFI LP series, you are paying a huge premium for overclocker friendly features. Check out a P45 Gigabyte or Asus board instead. If you like DFI boards, save yourself some money and pick up a DK series board.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    On ATI vs Nvidia: does having PhysX or CUDA mean anything to you? If not, some of the ATI cards may be a better value.

If you go Nvidia, I'd go for the 9800gtx.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the reply guys.....
    lemonlime, the reason I am buying the LT series is because that is one of the boards my nephew has an he said he will help me set it up. I know it has features I will never use but he said that board is rock stable after it is set up.

Gargoyle...I have no idea what CUDA is but I will Google it now. I was leaning towards the 9800gtx but someone said it had issues with the newer games. I hope that is not true...

again, thank you for the replies.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    how much are you look ~ to spend on this card?
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited October 2008
    I was trying not to go to far over $200........
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited October 2008
    I've never had a problem with ATI drivers. That said, I haven't owned an ATI card in a few years but all my ATI buddies don't have any problems. If I was upgrading today, most likely I'd go with an ATI 4870. There's simply no arguing with that card. After rebate you can pick one up for 215 to 250.

9800gtx's are going for a steal. $150.00, what a bargain.

A GTX 260 isn't a card I would consider. It is at the same price point of a 4870 with less performance. Remember, in some cases a 4870 touches a gtx 280.

Bottom line: if it'll be 2 years before you upgrade again then I think a 4870 is your best bet. If you are thinking about buying another card within a year, then the 9800gtx is one heck of a deal.

I upgrade on a 2 year cycle. One year I get a new video card and the next I get a new mobo, ram and cpu. I got a 8800gt last year.. Poor me, I'm stuck with it another year :( But looking forward to a new mother board and CPU :)

Shoot... I just looked up the prices for ati 4850's. They are at 150 too. It's like no matter what you can't go wrong when it comes to video cards this year. Too many choices.... YOU'RE screwed :P
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I owned a 4850 and now i run a 9800 GTX, No real difference in performance at least any that is noticeable, BUT i do know my games don't crash on me anymore!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Check NE for open box cards. The 4850s and 4870s have quite a nice discount on them if you buy open box.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited October 2008
    I owned a 4850 and now i run a 9800 GTX, No real difference in performance at least any that is noticeable, BUT i do know my games don't crash on me anymore!

Will that 9800GTX play the newer games like Assassins Creed and Far Cry 2 with high detail? If so I might save myself a lot of money and try one........
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    crysis on high! that should prove its worth
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2008

I own a 4850 now and strangely enough none of my games crash:wink: