Stock Questions?

SweetDragonSweetDragon Casselberry, FL
edited October 2008 in The Pub
How do I find out what Disney's Daily stock price was since October 24, 2008?

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited October 2008
    Yahoo! finance. Change the date range at the bottom to Oct. 22 - Oct. 26. The share price was approximately $23.50:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=DIS#chart7:symbol=dis;range=5d;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined
  • SweetDragonSweetDragon Casselberry, FL
    edited October 2008
    Thanks a bunch!

We are selling all our stocks and I am trying to see how much we will get.
    edited October 2008
    I would wait. Now is an awfully bad time to sell.
    edited October 2008
    I know, I told him we needed to sell last year when it was at $35 a share. He wanted to wait. Now the market is crashing and he wants to sell before we lose everything.

It will help, we are still digging ourselves out of October.

Plus we already sent in all the paper work. We should get a check in another week.

This is the 3rd financial decision that I advised differently on. Maybe next time he will trust me.:D One day he will realize that his wife actually knows more about money then he does.;D
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    edited October 2008
    What are you planning on doing with this money once you have it? Put it in a more stable savings account? A CD? Spend it?
    edited October 2008
    Pay our mortgage for October. It will be a little short so we can pull the rest from his check and at least stay on the bills for the same month they're due.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited October 2008
    ...the market is crashing and he wants to sell before we lose everything.

That is the mentality that causes people to lose money in the stock and bond market. Sure the market is down, but selling now will only guarantee losses. You essentially bought high sold low. Which is the opposite of what is good.

Right now is a prime time to invest money because truthfully the market can't sink too much lower from what I've been looking at. I believe the bubble popped and we are on the rebound.

Free markets work if people will let them, and they will also bite back if you try to tamper with them. Which is what happened. A group of people got greedy/stupid and now the markets bit back; big time.

I'm currently watching a couple energy companies, one in particular that was was trading at an average of $100 and is now trading ~$25. Mainly due to the fact that one of their primary lenders was one of the banks that went bankrupt amid the crisis. Anyway, they had to divest some assets in order to keep from getting put into junk status. But I have faith in their CEO. He has brought several companies out of near failure and has a square head on his shoulders. He seems very magnanimous which is what I look for. Not to mention the company's assets and operations are diversified, they have a strong foundation,

But I digress. Unless you absolutely had to sell (which shouldn't be the case anyway because you shouldn't invest money you may need within the next 5-10 years since stocks aren't all that liquid) then that was not the wisest decision. Anyway...
    edited October 2008
    If you really need to sell some stocks to cover your mortgage, do it, but only sell as much as you need to cover yourself. Bailing on the stock market now will rob you of significant profit down the road.

The stock market will always, always, go up in the long term. If you sit on your buys (people should especially be willing to buy now), you'll make a killing if you respect your patience. The only way you can lose is by bailing too early or your investment goes bankrupt.

But if you're in big, long-standing, venerable firms that produce goods people have traditionally wanted, there's not much risk of that. I sure bet people are kicking themselves for not buying kmart when it was pennies on the dollar.
    edited October 2008
    My husband was with out a job for a year and now is making only a little more then minimum wage so surviving today is a little more necessary then future plans. In a few months of having a predictable income we will get back on our feet and start saving again.

As a side note my husband worked for Disney just a couple of years after they opened here in Orlando so he got the stocks as a sign on bonus. He started with two but they kept dividing and multiplying. So no matter what we sell at it is more then he invested. I called today and they told me it sold and our check should be here in about 4 days.

I get very insecure when we get behind on bills especially when they are for the month before. Some how it becomes a snow ball effect and takes forever to get out from being behind. So even though I am upset that he didn't sell when I wanted him to last September I will be glad for the money now.

It's has been one hell of a long year, but we've made it. Hopefully next year will be a better one.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited October 2008
    That is the mentality that causes people to lose money in the stock and bond market. Sure the market is down, but selling now will only guarantee losses. You essentially bought high sold low. Which is the opposite of what is good.

Right now is a prime time to invest money because truthfully the market can't sink too much lower from what I've been looking at. I believe the bubble popped and we are on the rebound.

Free markets work if people will let them, and they will also bite back if you try to tamper with them. Which is what happened. A group of people got greedy/stupid and now the markets bit back; big time.

I'm currently watching a couple energy companies, one in particular that was was trading at an average of $100 and is now trading ~$25. Mainly due to the fact that one of their primary lenders was one of the banks that went bankrupt amid the crisis. Anyway, they had to divest some assets in order to keep from getting put into junk status. But I have faith in their CEO. He has brought several companies out of near failure and has a square head on his shoulders. He seems very magnanimous which is what I look for. Not to mention the company's assets and operations are diversified, they have a strong foundation,

But I digress. Unless you absolutely had to sell (which shouldn't be the case anyway because you shouldn't invest money you may need within the next 5-10 years since stocks aren't all that liquid) then that was not the wisest decision. Anyway...

This.

Regarding the market on the whole, not necesarrily your financial situation Sweetdragon.

On that regard, the company that owns my TV studio has watched it's stock take a complete dump. When they bought our studio almost 3 years ago their stock was near $10/share. As of friday it was .47 cents a share.

If I had the extra money, my goodness would I gobble that stock up.

The company bought more studios then they could handle, coupled with that good old buzzword 'these tough economic times'. They'll sell the lesser stations and rebound. If only I made enough money to have extra to spend I'd ride that wave all the way in...
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    edited October 2008
    Like the boys above me, I would kill for some extra cash right now. I recently started to max out my match for my 401k because hell, the stock market is having a fire sale!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin
    edited October 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    This.

Regarding the market on the whole, not necesarrily your financial situation Sweetdragon.

On that regard, the company that owns my TV studio has watched it's stock take a complete dump. When they bought our studio almost 3 years ago their stock was near $10/share. As of friday it was .47 cents a share.

If I had the extra money, my goodness would I gobble that stock up.

The company bought more studios then they could handle, coupled with that good old buzzword 'these tough economic times'. They'll sell the lesser stations and rebound. If only I made enough money to have extra to spend I'd ride that wave all the way in...

soo....what exactly is the company that owns your studio?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited October 2008
    shwaip wrote:
    soo....what exactly is the company that owns your studio?

Would that be insider information? I'd take it if it were in the form of a friendly pm. :bigggrin:
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited October 2008
    Would that be insider information?

Nope

You might have to be careful, if they took on a lot of debt three years ago to buy the studio it might be time to refinance that debt, which will be considerably more this time.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego
    edited October 2008
    Would that be insider information? I'd take it if it were in the form of a friendly pm. :bigggrin:

Liscensee: Gray Television, Inc. found URL="http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/WNDU+Form+388+Quarters+1-3+08.pdf"]HERE[/URL

Stock Price: Currently .48 found URL="http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:GTN"]HERE[/URL

Linked from the bottom of wndu.com. Transparency's important when it comes to who owns what in the public realm.

Edit: They're fairly well leveraged with debt, too. Looks like they have enough in terms of total assets to cover it, but they're fairly illiquid. I don't know much about broadcasting or how easily the rights are turned over, though.