Fallout 3

UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Gaming
Well, it's out. Whose getting it?

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Roommate has it. It's cool. Watched him play it a bit last night. It's still cool, even on his crappy graphics card. I'm a fan so far.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Have it. Liking it a lot. Playing more hopefully tonight, but very likely not until the weekend. Le bummer.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I'm going to get it, but not until I have a lot less other work to do. I saw the lunchbox in the store today, and I was very tempted to pick it up, but I know how it would effect my productivity.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Got it, will probably play a bit tonight.

Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, Dead Space, Stalker: CS, Mass Effect, and Mirror's Edge... can't sleep, must play.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Fallout 3 is awesome!! My character McCockenstein is such a bitch.
    edited October 2008
    and i think hes hot
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited October 2008
    It does look sweet, I got it but not had a chance to play it yet due to Fable 2!! lol
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    Amazing game. To put it as simplistic as possible. It's Oblivion with guns, but everything is improved, better graphics, better story, infinitely better dialogue. To say that it's Oblivion w/guns is really a disservice to Fallout 3 it's so much more then that, but that's the easiest way to really describe it and I loved Oblivion.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Can you still knife a rat in the groin?
    edited October 2008
    Haven't tried knifing any creatures in the groin yet. I prefer not to get that close to irradiated giant cockroaches, giant scorpions or dogs. Personally I prefer to shoot things in their stupid faces and pop their heads off like dandelion fluff. Only more red, bloody and skull fragmenty, but you get the point.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I'm pissed that you can't kill kids anymore. Damn moral agenda.
    edited October 2008
    You can probably blame the Aussie's for that one.
    edited October 2008
    I'm pissed that you can't kill kids anymore. Damn moral agenda.

I have yet to see kids in the game, but you sure can nuke an entire "city" and that's pretty immoral.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    I have yet to see kids in the game, but you sure can nuke an entire "city" and that's pretty immoral.
    Are you leaning towards the bad karma.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I want it badly, but since you went ahead and got Warhead, Weezer, I guess that's my next purchase...
    edited October 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    Are you leaning towards the bad karma.

I'm pretty sure making the choice to nuke the town pretty much kills any chance I had of being good.
    edited October 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I want it badly, but since you went ahead and got Warhead, Weezer, I guess that's my next purchase...
    I didn't just go get it. A friend bought it, his pc didn't cut it and he gave it to me. :D
    edited November 2008
    So I have a question for all of you that have it.

Is it hard or cumbersome to manage your radiation level?
    edited November 2008
    Not that I've found.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    So I have a question for all of you that have it.

Is it hard or cumbersome to manage your radiation level?

Not really. Is there a serious problem with radiation poisoning besides losing endurance? I did a quest that now when I get seriously radiated my crippled limbs heal:buck:

Also there were definitely at least two children in that city you nuked Joe, so there are kiddies in the game.
    edited November 2008
    Yep. Kids do exist, you're just not allowed to kill them except via a big plot point like that.
    edited November 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Yep. Kids do exist, you're just not allowed to kill them except via a big plot point like that.

So do they have infinite hitpoints or something?
    edited November 2008
    Not sure, I've never tried. Bullets and stuff might just go right through them.
    edited November 2008
    What happens to the Child Killer trait thing then. Is it gone?
    edited November 2008
    There is also a third kind of restriction on player freedom in the game, one that forbids a particular action both technically possible and narratively plausible.

In Fallout 3, you cannot kill children.

Writing for Edge Online this week, lead designer Emil Pagliarulo explained the decision to restrict murder to men, women, and animals in the game, forbidding the use of violence against children, something that was present in the previous Fallout titles.

"We began to think, really what benefit would there be in killing the kids?" he says. "It just seems gratuitous, unnecessary and cruel."

Pagliarulo states that killing children using Fallout 3's impressive engine is not something that would have passed ESRB checks anyway. That some violent games have grisly features cut or dulled in order to secure a specific rating is news to no-one, so why the need to elaborate on and justify the decision in the public sphere? Because, says Pagliarulo, the decision to self-moderate was a moral and ethical one.
    Children are invincible and will run away when attacked.

So no, there's no Child Killer trait.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    so, for those who have the game, would you say that Fallout 3 has 'lost it's balls' when you compare it to the older games?

To say that Fallout3's 'impressive engine' would make the killing even worse is borderline absurd. fallout2 used very detailed sprites - especially with blood and gore. Seeing a kid's head shot off in Fallout2 is no different then seeing it in 3D in Fallout 3. In some cases, Sprite based 2D games had more photo-real graphics than many 3D games do (though, that trend is finally being eclipsed).
    edited November 2008
    Not having played the previous games, I can't very well compare them, but I take great pleasure whipping out the sniper rifle and taking off a super-mutant's head and the resultant pop and spray that generates - even without the VATS slo-mo enhancement. There's nothing about the game that says to me, "This must be a toned-down version, how sad." I haven't found anything that doesn't exist that makes me think they must have censored it.

Honestly, not being able to kill children didn't even cross my mind until other people brought it up, and it doesn't at all affect my gameplay... but then I'm not playing to be evil like Joe is, so maybe it's a real problem for him.

What I AM annoyed with a little bit is the lack of real open-worldedness. When I'm in a city and I'm forced to take only two roads because every other street is conveniently blocked off by a mountain of rubble (that I should really be able to climb, but can't), it takes away from the immersion I was otherwise feeling.
    edited November 2008
    I know Fallout 3 has been neutered, because of the Aussie incident. But in playing it I haven't ever came to a situation where I was crippled by whatever bits they had to remove. Now that being said compared to the original Fallout games where you could become a slaver have sex with prostitutes and kill children. Yes this game is limited. But it's not like my game play is suffering from it. However I suppose if you wanted to be 'that guy' in Fallout 3, then yes you'd feel the game has lost it's balls.

However like Snark I'm finding it extremely cathartic to see limbs and heads been blown off in slow-mo through the VATS system in extremely over the top fashion. It's fun and there is some strategy to it. For example, if your head armour is wearing down, find an enemy with similar head armour and kill him, by not damaging his head for example.

Bottom line is if you liked Oblivion and it's style of play you should find very much to enjoy in Fallout 3. It is in a nutshell Oblvion with guns, but it's been improved in almost every way.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    What I AM annoyed with a little bit is the lack of real open-worldedness. When I'm in a city and I'm forced to take only two roads because every other street is conveniently blocked off by a mountain of rubble (that I should really be able to climb, but can't), it takes away from the immersion I was otherwise feeling.

This would annoy me all to hell! One of the greatest things about oblivion for me is how limitless movement is. Want to get on that building and drop down to kill those bandits? Do it. Can't quite jump up there? Go train your acrobatics for a couple points, then come back.

I haven't played any of the Fallouts and I haven't tried this one yet (too engrosed in FC2), but hopefully with time I will be able to try them.
    edited November 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Honestly, not being able to kill children didn't even cross my mind until other people brought it up, and it doesn't at all affect my gameplay... but then I'm not playing to be evil like Joe is, so maybe it's a real problem for him.

I never noticed this at all either. Like I said, I've not even encountered any children in the game. I would never try to kill them in game anyways. My character is only killing people if there is a reason to do so (some profit in it or such.) Killing children wouldn't really accomplish anything.