Xp install. Couldn't Copy file

yosmikeyyosmikey Member
edited November 2008 in Science & Tech
I have Windows XP pro and I started to install it but I ran into some problems. Seven files failed to copy to the windows installtion folder. I could have retried, skiped(But it could case some problems.) I skiped the files, and went on in the install. Atfer the install was done, eveything seems to run fine expect I have problems installing Service pack 2. Which I'm sure its because I've skiped those seven files. Now is it the disk that is messed up or my harddrive? Or could it be my something else like my RAM?
The files that could not copy are:
diskcopy.dll
diskmgtW.chm
rsvp.exe
rsvpcnts.h
rsvpmsg.dll
rsvpsp.dll
rtcdll.dll
Any suggestion?
Thanks(Hope that makes sense)

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    when u couldn't copy those particular files, it was probably due to the disc being bad (scratched?).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I agree. Either your disc is scuffed/scratched, or more seriously, you may have a bad hard drive.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    They are right. From my experience when that occurs it is one of three things. A bad disc (scratched or a bad burn), failing hard drive, or bad disk drive.

You can eliminate the disc possibility by trying a friends disc if you have access to one. If the disk was burned, reburn at a slower speed - eg 24x.

You can also test your hard drive with a tool such as the Drive Fitness Test.
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
    Download that, run it, and see if any errors come up.

Good luck. :jared:
  • yosmikeyyosmikey Member
    edited November 2008
    At first glance at the disc it didn't seem to have any damage. But after taking some more time to look at it, it does seem to have some very minor scratches. I am kinda shocked cause it been in its case ever since the first time I used it. Also I did the drive test and had no error. So I'm going to try to get a disc from my friend. Thanks for helping.