Torn between two graphic cards.

edited January 2009 in Hardware
Hello, I've been trying to decide on whether I should buy a GeForce 9800 GTX+ or a Ati HD 4850, so I've come here to see if you guys could help me figure out this dilema. I know both video cards are about the same in performance from the reviews I've seen, but I don't know how stable are the drivers for each card on Windows Xp/Vista Premium 64-bit. Some people from other forums have said they have experience less fps dips once switching over to the 9800 GTX+ from the HD 4850, contrary to that the HD 4850 does better on most benchmarks. Does anyone have any ideas on that? Games I'm looking forward to play are Frontline Fuel of War, World in Conflict, CnC Red Alert 3, Company of Heroes, and up and coming Starcraft 2.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    look at my sig

I have a 4850 on winXP 64bit, and I have no driver issues.
  • TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
    edited November 2008
    I personally have 9800GTX+ SLI in Vista 64 with no problems. I would highly recommend it. Even in single card mode i can play everything out there on high except for Crysis. Plus I dont know about other but EVGA has amazing tech support, 24/7 and they are based in the US. I think that lifetime tech support is a definate plus... Also keep in mind what resolution you are running. I am running 1920x1200 so i needed a faster gpu solution...
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/11655-evga-9800-gtx-512mb-video-card-review.html

I am running a 9800GTX i had a 4850 and I crashed out of Lineage II all the time. no issues with the nvidia card
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited November 2008
    Even in single card mode i can play everything out there on high except for Crysis.

I don't think a card out there plays Crysis "well". And the problem is Crysis! :grumble:

If I were given the choice I'd go with the 4850. It's faster, newer hardware with more overclocking potential (should you choose to). I'm not aware of any specific driver problems with this series of card, no more/less than with any other video card from either major manufacturer. The 4850 is also not terribly power hungry, which I don't believe to be the case with the 9800gtx, which is very high-clocked for that series card (basically a soup'd up G92 8800gt).
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    stoopid wrote:
    I don't think a card out there plays Crysis "well". And the problem is Crysis! :grumble:

No, most decent cards play Crysis well. Just because they can't play it on High or Extreme doesn't mean it's not a great game with fantastic visuals anyway. The engine scales MAGNIFICENTLY from super high-end rigs to normal ones.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I would personally go with the 4850. Driver issues are bunk... For both companies.
  • edited November 2008
    Thanks for all your help, I've decided to get the 9800GTX+ because it was better for F@H, and I have gotten a good deal for it.
  • edited January 2009
    I have the 4830 model in vista 64, I play Red alert 3 at 1600x1200 with all settings to max and dont see any framerate issues at all. I can vouche for the 4x00 series cards being high quality and well supported in vista 64