File IO error

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Folding@Home
In case anyone gets this error it's because of NOD32. You have to disable it to run F@H without a problem.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    SMP client? Normal client? NOD32 is Norton somethingoranother, right?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    SMP client and NOD32 is an anti virus.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Wow, I hadn't heard about there being a conflict with SMP and NAV until this.
    So, is SMP Folding running now? If you're a big fan of Norton, who am I to tell you no. If you aren't a particular fan, just install Avast, which is excellent, and free.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Eset NOD32 isn't Norton AntiVirus. I used it because it was one of the better ranked ones but since my license has expired I guess I could look for another one.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    You should not have to disable the anti-virus entirely, but only disable active scanning on the folder that houses your FAH directory. There are several Anti-Virus apps out there that will always interfere, and Stanford recommends setting any AV scanner to exclude FAH directories to prevent IO_ERROR and UNSTABLE_MACHINE errors.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Good info, Mason... ;)
    edited November 2008
    Tried that when I first installed F@H. Still got the problem. I think that problem is specific to NOD32.