We all have some hardware regrets

2»

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    My biggest mistake might have been buying all of the cool but seriously outdated hardware from the university salvage sale. SGI 320s, Indigos, and Sparcstations are pretty cool looking, but pretty useless, too. I ended up begging people here on Icrontic to take them off my hands when I moved.
    Buddy J wrote:
    I think it was a Vantec CCK6035D that made our dorm sound like a hairdryer.

I remember the look on our roommate's face when I got my screamer 60mm HSF, too. Two of those things in one room, heh. Of course, the best part was that it allowed me to overclock my Duron to be faster than his pricey Alienware P4. :D
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Biggest purchase regret was the FX 5700 Ultra, huge waste, in every possible way.

Biggest mistake that ended in hardware death was while doing a volt mod on my (first) X850 Pro. Had completed the mods and was measuring new voltage levels while powered up. Somehow the ground on the multimeter slipped and I then fried the card with the other end. Yay.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2008
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited November 2008
    :O
    You can buy Vista? Those cheeky bastards at Microsoft actually sell it?! :D

Edit: wups ment to quote a previous comment lol.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I've thought about this for a good 3-4 days now and I can not think of a single hardware regret. See I never buy anything when it comes out, I'm always at least 6 months behind the curve and can selectively pick the hardware I know that isnt crap.

Now software, I leagally own a copy of WindowsMe :(
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Biggest hardware regret?

I'd have to say it's not getting a core temp monitor when I decided to overclock my computer for the first time...:doh:

Melted the static heat sink on my video card to such an extent it went through the card, fell on the motherboard, burned through my MB and rested on the bottom of my tower. When I found it, the heat sink was still sizzling with plastic encoded all over it....and that smell....

Burned computer smells WORSE then death....:aol:

p.s. I took my comp from 1.3 ghz to 2.1..
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    I've thought about this for a good 3-4 days now and I can not think of a single hardware regret. See I never buy anything when it comes out, I'm always at least 6 months behind the curve and can selectively pick the hardware I know that isnt crap.

Now software, I leagally own a copy of WindowsMe :(

LIES!

You bought the first gen iPhone when it came out. If I remember right you hated it for the first year too! (until 2.0) :D
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Mine was the three Western Digital hard drives I purchased... Over the course of a year I had 13 RMAs for those drives. Then the warranties ran out.
  • edited November 2008
    On my first build I didnt attach the stupid stock Intel Heatsink on tight enough and it came almost came off all the way and overheated the processor, but I saved it just in time!!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    jared wrote:
    LIES!

You bought the first gen iPhone when it came out. If I remember right you hated it for the first year too! (until 2.0) :D

I dont really consider a cell phone hardware dude. But yus I did have a hatred.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited November 2008
    Worst thing I've ever done was when I broke a pin off of my brand new Opteron 165. The chip went for 250ish when i bought it and it was for my first build. I so very nearly cried. Thankfully AMD replaced the chip for me. Partially one of the reasons I loved AMD for so long.

That EXACT same thing happened for me with my first Intel chip almost 6 years ago. Well, okay, I bent and broke more than one pin. Chip was around the same price as yours.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I had forgotten about Deathstars.
    Yes, I lost a R0 on a KT7-A also.
    I have...5 of these drives.
    Two of my originals still work. The other three represent 7 warr. replacements.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    My biggest regret is buying the EPoX 8KHA+. It was the VIA KT266A board that everyone raved about until people started realizing that they were prone to abruptly dying. After several ensuing generations suffered from the same malady, the whole company seems to have gone away.

Good riddance.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2008
    My first and earliest biggest mistake was not realizing I couldn't realign a harddrive in the same fashion is used to be able to realign an old floppy drive.

Most recent stupid mistake was not realizing that PCI-e on a mobo doesn't necessarily mean PCI-E(16). Stupid PCI-E(1x) slot that has no real world purpose.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited November 2008
    I think my Dad would say buying me an IBM PC Jr...

...thing was outdated faster than parachute pants.....

For me:

Going with AGP for may last build (circa 2004-2005), instead of that new-fangled PCI-e....
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    ...the 3000$ I plunked down on a P4(delldimension9150) instead of going for the early dualcore.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    You build your own now, right? :rolleyes2
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    buying a 5900XT Vid card on a whim, only to find out the XT was the low end model for Nvidia not like ATI whose XT was the high end model.

I'm sure there's more.......
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2008
    Hmm. Hardware regrets. I really don't regret things to be honest. If it sucks, I learned from it and move on.

But I will say buying sapphire video cards 4 times in a row with 4 failures is a big mistake..