A fresh start

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Check your Task Manager and see if you're getting 100% usage. If not, you'll need to add some flags to get it to use SMP.
    Fail. It's not. What flags? You'd think after 6 years they could code the damn client to figure this stuff out on its own :-/
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Having the same issue as keebs. Installed it on my Dad's C2D and its only using one core?

Funny because when I installed the client on my C2D iMac at work it automatically just started running on both cores :D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yes, it's too bad that they don't have an installer that automates the process more. Luckily, it's not that difficult.

The short version: close your FAH if it's not running all the cores. You should probably restart to make sure all of the services are stopped. Run the install.bat in the FAH folder. Run the FAH executable with the -smp flag. This is necessary because the SMP and regular client are no longer separate programs.

The long version: there are two helper programs that facilitate SMP on Windows. MPICH works on 32 and 64-bit Windows, and DEINO runs only on 32-bit Windows (but is more stable). I use DEINO on my Vista laptop.

Official guide for MPICH (run FAH with -smp flag)
    Official guide for DEINO (run FAH with -smp -deino flag)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Ya for the tray SMP client you have to pull up the config window and the last text box on the bottom you can put in flags and its -SMP
    edited November 2008
    Dear Stanford,

I'd like to use more than half my processor to help you. Unfortunately, you've made the setup so long and rigorous I need to set aside an hour just to understand it. Please Google 'usability'. In the meantime, I'm going to try Garg's "short" version and see if that works.

Love and hate,
    Keebler
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Fatcat, are you good with the fans now? If not, I think you can use RivaTuner to set your fan speed.
    edited November 2008
    Gargoyle, I have no "install.bat" in my F@H folder. Does that mean I need the console version? I was really looking forward to using a non-shitty client. :-/
    edited November 2008
    I see an IC folding guide in the near future?

I'm with Keebs, this shouldn't be ****ing rocket science.

Im guesstimating tonight is going to take me at least an hour to figure out wtf is going on and get GPU client using my 9800GT and SMP on my C2D.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    OK, I'm back:
    Indeed you are! Looks good. :thumbup
    Im guesstimating tonight is going to take me at least an hour to figure out wtf is going on and get GPU client using my 9800GT and SMP on my C2D.
    Here's a very good GPU client installation and configuration guide. Here's a good WinSMP guide.

Post a new thread if you have problems. I'll be here. :cool:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I ran it but got a file IO error.
    edited November 2008
    Although I'm already about tapped out for hardware - everything's already employed, I did find about another 1000PPD in production last night! I reworked overclocks on the 8800GT's and 9800GT's shader clocks. This was a supplementary session to previous overclocking sessions. What I did this time was to reset GPU cores and GDDR to factory stock on each card, concentrating on boosting shader clock frequencies only. End result is that GPU temperatures are not increased but production is up.

Next step will be the addition of another G92-based 8800GT or 9800GT. I have one motherboard remaining with an empty PCI-e video card slot.
    edited November 2008
    Black Hawk wrote:
    I ran it but got a file IO error.
    Please open a new thread and we'll get you running. Please post system specs: CPU, GPU, PSU, OS, and overclocks, if any.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Nice going Leo! I'm glad all this talk about shader clocks has come up. For the longest time, I didn't know what was important with GPU folding.
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I tip my hat to you Leo.

Great job on getting people back "in the saddle" and helping us nubs out who have been out of the folding scene for a couple of years. :)

cheers :jared:
    edited November 2008
    Nice going Leo!
    My ego is already too large. Take it easy, OK?

The Team is still potent, but it's been sitting still, figuratively speaking. The events of the last few days show a turnaround. Let's make this exciting, again, OK? Let's get cranking and watch Team 93 rise again.

You don't have to be a Folding@Home expert with multiple rigs and several years of experience to help others. I appreciate the group effort I'm seeing. Let's keep it up.

Even if you are a newbie to Folding, if you know more about Folding than someone else, you are in a position to help that person.

Let's also not forget the most important reason for Folding - building up the science that will lead to mitigation of or even cures of tissue degenerative diseases.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    My ego is already too large. Take it easy, OK?

The Team is still potent, but it's been sitting still, figuratively speaking. The events of the last few days show a turnaround. Let's make this exciting, again, OK? Let's get cranking and watch Team 93 rise again.

You don't have to be a Folding@Home expert with multiple rigs and several years of experience to help others. I appreciate the group effort I'm seeing. Let's keep it up.

Even if you are a newbie to Folding, if you know more about Folding than someone else, you are in a position to help that person.

Let's also not forget the most important reason for Folding - building up the science that will lead mitigation of or even cures of tissue degenerative diseases.

Well said. :respect:

And so as to not increase your ego too much...you suck! :p:p
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Fatcat, are you good with the fans now? If not, I think you can use RivaTuner to set your fan speed.

I haven't installed the different video drivers yet. I'll get around to it when I do a format or really bored one day.

HATE VIDEO DRIVERS. or actually, hate the process of uninstall, clean out the registry, find anything with "ati" in the file name, delete and then reboot.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    You don't need to deal with that. You're not going from ATi to NVIDIA here.
    edited November 2008
    I can't speak to ATI drivers, but the current Nvidia drivers are close to flawless. They are also very easy to install and uninstall.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    I can't speak to ATI drivers, but the current Nvidia drivers are close to flawless. They are also very easy to install and uninstall.

Not dissing the NVIDIA drivers, just saying that he's installing ATi to ATi. Not ATi to NVIDIA or NVIDIA to ATi, which is where the biggest headaches lie when re-installing. I had to do it when I got my the error message that GPU2 did not support my card for folding and everything went smooth.
    edited November 2008
    Oh,ok, I clearly misunderstood.
    edited November 2008
    I am already really liking what is happening. We are back over 1600 on our ppd average and today at noon we are on track for a 260,000 day. Good job team way to get started.
    edited November 2008
    Ah, great news!

Kick it into gear, guys.

- engage that hardware that's drawing power but not doing anything
    - make your next upgrades with Folding@Home in mind
    - get previous Team 93 members active again
    - get new members on the team
    - challenge each other to Folding duels!
    edited November 2008
    But keebler challenged me to a duel he already lost and wants a do over.
    edited November 2008
    So, you're saying Keebs falls over then regenerates, like a video game?

All the power to him! Keebler, the bowling pin! (I'm thinking of that distinctive sound when a bowling ball smacks into a pin. :eek: :bigggrin:)
    edited November 2008
    :rant:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    In other news, I just hit 2,000,000 points.

:cheers:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    mas0n wrote:

:cheers: :Rocker: :woowoo:
    :life:
    edited November 2008
    Good work, all of you!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2008
    mas0n wrote:

2,000,000 is one very big number. :respect::respect: