ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Science & Tech

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2008
    Wish they had mentioned the target price range
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Watch, the randoms will suck and it will use twice as much power as a mechanical drive.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    The former is unlikely and the latter is impossible.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    How so Thrax, many of the current SSDs, either the high speed or the dogs, draw just as much power as 4,500rpm notebook drives. Some of the reviews have reported total power consumption (Whr) for the entire test series to show this.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    Is power consumption really that big of a deal?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, power consumption is not a big deal. And if a few extra watts IS a problem, then the people worrying about it won't be spending extra money on SSd's in the first place.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    It's a big deal when you are trying to squeeze every extra minute possible from your notebook on battery life :)
    edited November 2008
    Sorry guys.. random access wont be that bad... Price I'm afraid is.. who cares about power consumption really for a SSD drive? To be on a laptop they would be external with their own powersupply anyway.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Tex wrote:
    Sorry guys.. random access wont be that bad... Price I'm afraid is.. who cares about power consumption really for a SSD drive? To be on a laptop they would be external with their own powersupply anyway.
    Tex, all these SSD's are 2.5" formfactor.. they go inside the laptop.
    edited November 2008
    Sorry I had never seen a 2.5 SSD. I had messed with quite a few before but all were 5.25 scsi interface. I had seen some before that 5.25 IDE but I had never see any 2.5 SSD's. Most I had seen used regular production ram to populate the drive. Most uses of SSD drives are not intended for laptops at all. The price alone bumps it from most laptop applications.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I'm sorry, that's incorrect. The majority of SSDs produced are now in the laptop form-factor, use NAND flash, and use the SATA or SAS interface.
    edited November 2008
    BEFORE... meant a few years ago. That was not incorrect. It was said in the past tense. Thats what BEFORE means. (long sigh...)

I am thrilled about the new form factor! Still curious what a 256 gb SSD would cost that would put it into a LAPTOP market and not a server market where most SSD's reside.

I have actually used and tested a number of SSD drives. How many have you used in real life?

Cheers

Cowboy
    edited November 2008
    Are you thinking of an SSD with NAND Flash as the storage media or the older technology that actually stored it on Ram? As of right now, server grades SSD's are just making an appearance.

I have used several to date now, but of course that is part of my job.
    edited November 2008
    So say that you have a couple SSD's in a RAID 0 Stripe, what in the system then becomes the bottleneck, the interface?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    So say that you have a couple SSD's in a RAID 0 Stripe, what in the system then becomes the bottleneck, the interface?

The controller interface, yes. Anything more than a single SSD on an on-board controller would be a waste. You would definitely want a quality hardware RAID controller with 4 if not 8 PCI-E lanes and plenty of RAM for write caching if you wanted to do a serious array of SSD.
    edited November 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    The controller interface, yes. Anything more than a single SSD on an on-board controller would be a waste. You would definitely want a quality hardware RAID controller with 4 if not 8 PCI-E lanes and plenty of RAM for write caching if you wanted to do a serious array of SSD.

Wish I could say I needed that, I can't imagine speeds like that.. :D
    edited November 2008
    Example of good Raid card coupled with 4 30GB SSD's in Raid 0. Raid card is an Adaptec 5405:

hdtach.jpg
    atto.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Wow, those are some extremely impressive speeds. Even coming from a single disc, I cant wait till I can afford one. :)