ATI + Vista + GPU2

mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Folding@Home
Just wanted to create this thread as a "heads up" to anyone who may run into the same problems I did.

I'm running GPU2 on an HD4870 under Vista 64. Was getting constant errors:
mdrun_gpu returned
Nonzero force sum on GPU

Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
Sometimes I'd make it through an entire WU before getting the error, sometimes I'd only make it a few frames. I tried underclocking the GPU, tried XP compatability mode, tried reinstalling, deleting core and work folders. It was extremely frustrating and I'd all but given up.

Disable the the Vista Sidebar.

That's it. I've completed 40 consecutive WU since I disabled the Sidebar and have had nothing but smooth sailing since then.

:cheers:

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Good job troubleshooting... I check with my Vista system when I get back to work... ;)
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I've yet to discover whether it was a conflict with the sidebar in general or a particular gadget. I don't care for the sidebar enough for this to be high on my priority list but If I figure that out I'll update here.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Disable the the Vista Sidebar. That's it.
    Of all the crazy things.

You actually found the fix on purpose, or had you turned of the sidebar for something else? ;)
    edited November 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Of all the crazy things.

You actually found the fix on purpose, or had you turned of the sidebar for something else? ;)

I turned it off as an attempt to fix the issue. Sometimes the GPU2 client has problems with apps that use DX but don't call for exclusive access (full screen) so I figured it was worth a shot.

Still going strong :)
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited November 2008
    Is folding the only thing that gave you this error or have you found other possible conflicts that may require a similar solution?
    edited November 2008
    DrLiam wrote:
    Is folding the only thing that gave you this error or have you found other possible conflicts that may require a similar solution?

The system was otherwise fine, no problems whatsoever. I should also note that the system is 100% stable. Runs Furmark or OCCT for 72 hours without error. After disabling the sidebar I returned the card to the 24/7 clocks of 830/1100 without a single error.