GPU2 6.20r2beta

mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Folding@Home
Running HD4870 with Cat 8.11 under Vista x64. I'm seeing up to 10% increase to PPD on the larger WU and much lower CPU usage which frees cycles for SMP. Overall a nice net increase. ymmv

LINK
This is an open beta to test the new CAL DLLs and newer 4000 series cards (older cards, i.e. 36** card or below should not use this client). If this open beta looks good, we'll put it on the dowload page. Given the strong performance in closed beta testing, this move will likely come soon, unless somehow some new showstoppers come up.

The client supplied should work with all CAL capable ATI cards, please report if you find that a card isn't recognised (the client should accept any HD 4**0 card in addition to those previously supported). It will also work with NVIDIA cards, but the client is functionally identical to the current released version.

This client has a version number of 6.20r2beta and expires on 2nd March 2009 (it shouldn't stay in beta for this long however, as we are keen to get the updated CAL DLLs out to the masses sooner rather than later).

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Nice find. Throwing it on my 4850 now.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I have recently installed 6.20r2beta on my HD 4830 and am quite impressed. It is currently turning out 2106 ppd with the drivers off the disc on my Q9300 system running XP at stock speeds. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=26417&stc=1&d=1228508405
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, looks like I'll have to update when I get home, anything for an extra bump :)

Now if the ati drivers would only perform like the cuda drivers...
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Thats never going to happen. The interesting thing to me is that the cuda drivers are finally equal if not better to ati drivers in cpu usage, it seems to be only a matter of time until the drivers actually start to be refined to handle the larger WUs that are being pushed out.