PSU?

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Which power supply do you think is better?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152030

I think the 700 watt one is better but I got a raidmax 630watt for my friends computer before and it didnt have enough power to power a 9800 gtx graphics card, while my 600 watt psu in my computer could power it to full power.

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I cannot speak personally to the reliability of either unit but from a pure specifications standpoint the OCZ unit is better.

OCZ ModXStream Pro

Raidmax RX-700SS

For a 700W PSU the Raidmax has pretty poor 12V amperage which is where most your draw comes from. For that price range you could also check out something like the 650TX or the PCP&C 610. I know some other members will have some good recommendations as well.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Raidmax historically has sourced their PSUs from several different OEM manufacturers. (Very few PSU brands actually make their own units.) Some Raidmax units have been good, some have been abysmal. I would much rather spend a bit more for a brand with a more consistent favorable history. I have the OCZ StealthXStream 600. It's an excellent PSU. I also have a ModXStream 780. What I'd do for a another one! Woohoo. Most OCZ units that have been throughly tested have good reviews. The Corsair 650TX was also mentioned above. That particular model has excellent customer satisfaction. Both OCZ and Corsair have very good reputations.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    The OCZ, in general Raidmax has lower quality parts than what a smart consumer would want. You couldn't even brain a hooker with it with one swing. That Corsair mas0n linked is actually a rebranded Seasonic and PCP&P I have one that 610. It kind of a price/prefernce thing in the end cause the OCZ, Corsair, and PCP&C are all good quality and reliable units.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I second the Corsair 650TX. I got one recently and it is simply awesome! I highly recomend it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Hey! We review these things, you know :p
  • edited December 2008
    Im addicted to shopping for computer parts lol. Is there a recovery program for me?
    I'm just searching, learning and seeing whats out there I'm going to try and make enough money this summer to put together a 12-1400 dollar system next school year at school here in WA. so I can have a totally wicked system to do whatever I want.
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks for your help enlightening me