ATI GPU2 core 1.22

mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Folding@Home
A new core has been released for ATI boards running GPU2. The core will not install automatically so you must stop the client, delete the old core and restart the client. You also MUST be using GPU2 client 6.23. It has been stated that this core should result in more productivity from ALL work units, however in some cases at the cost of higher CPU usage. I suggest you read through the following thread for details and tweaks:

ATI core 1.22 thread @ foldingforum.org

I will try when I get home today and post results, please do the same!

EDIT: I should also note that this is a BETA core, and so will still be marked as FahCore_11.exe. The new core should download automatically for all users once it clears beta (soon).

:fold::cheers::fold:

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Stopped the client, deleted the old FahCore_11.exe and restarted the client. New core downloaded without a problem. With 4870 on Vista 64 I'm seeing a nice bump to PPD on WU 5742. Up to 3221PPD from 2998PPD. However, CPU usage has shot up to a full 100% of one CPU core. There are some tweaks mentioned in the thread I linked above that can possibly lower CPU usage. I'll give them a try and report back.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    That's over a 10% gain in one fell swoop. Very good work, ATI.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    thats just 100ppd short of what my 9600GSO does. But overall very impressive, a 10% gain in this instance is huge when looked at with Moore's Law.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    thats just 100ppd short of what my 9600GSO does. But overall very impressive, a 10% gain in this instance is huge when looked at with Moore's Law.

Especially since this is just the "slight increase" I mentioned here. This release is only the refinement of the core's usage of CAL 1.2.1