Can't get windows to extend the desktop

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Folding@Home
180.60 drivers
9800GX2
trying to run multiple GPU2
winxp 32bit

i go into display properties and click on the other monitor and then check the box "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" and click apply. it automatically unchecks the box and greys out the second monitor.

little help here cause i cant get a 2nd GPU2 going.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    180.60 drivers
    9800GX2
    trying to run multiple GPU2
    winxp 32bit

i go into display properties and click on the other monitor and then check the box "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" and click apply. it automatically unchecks the box and greys out the second monitor.

little help here cause i cant get a 2nd GPU2 going.
    If you have SLI turned on you will not be able to use a second monitor. Try disabling SLI in the nVidia control panel and see if that fixes it.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    mertesn wrote:
    If you have SLI turned on you will not be able to use a second monitor. Try disabling SLI in the nVidia control panel and see if that fixes it.

YUS YUS thank you!:respect:

SLI was on. Gracious friend.:rockon:
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    No problem. Apparently multi-monitor works with SLI in Vista. Not sure why it doesn't in XP.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    SLI was on. Gracious friend.
    Sheesh, you were SO excited about installing that GX2 that you couldn't think straight and perform a simple 25-second task! Good grief! :rolleyes:

(sounds like me :eek3: )

Good deal. So, got that beast roaring now?

BTW, in front of the keyboard I'm typing on is a US Postal Service Form 3849, notice of package receipt. Tomorrow I'll drive into town and pick up my, yes, drum roll.....

second 9800GX2 acquisition. It's from a trading forums deal. So, yeah, I'll look to top your feat of today. Hmm, I'll leave the 6 or 8-pin power connector off. :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Apparently multi-monitor works with SLI in Vista. Not sure why it doesn't in XP.
    Mertsen, that's a logical question, but what FatCat and I are discussing is running two video cards for Folding@Home, processing virtual protein molecules.

Although we are performing a multi-GPU task, there is NO second monitor. We switch on "expand the desktop" so that WinXP assumes there's a second monitor for the second GPU, otherwise only one GPU is properly engaged for the processing. SLI and Crossfire do not work for Folding@Home.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    um, yeah I think I got it going right.

its late and I'm off to bed, I'll work on the SMP and the 2x9600GSO's this weekend

beast.JPG