slow SMP performance

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    i got a bit lazy on this build and didnt use any thermal paste.

:eek::eek3:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snarkasm
    Quote:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by magicmedicine
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    edited December 2008
    What we mean to say is: turn off the PC, apply some paste.

There was a time when thermal paste could be considered optional, but those days are long gone.

Let us know what kind of temp drops you see and if this increases your F@H production. I know that CPU will throttle back when it gets too hot, but am not sure at what temperature it will do so.

I've finally been looking into what sort of production we should expect from C2Q under Vista and I think we're both falling short. Let's keep each other posted on what we find.
    edited December 2008
    Especially if you're overclocking.
  • edited December 2008
    okay here goes the long post.

yeah i actually didnt think it necessary. :P after observing just how easy it is to oc these c2qs, i cant resist not buying a new cooler. could anyone suggest a good semi quiet cooler? preferably something from coolermaster because those are readily available here.

it turns out that the wireless pci card i had in my pc was interfering with the performance. i had read that a pci card, especially a wireless one could interfere with graphics. with the card in it was taking up to 25 minutes per frame. once i took the card out, it was fine. the card was probably stealing cpu cycles by itself and causing the graphics card to do that too. back to 13 minutes per frame. now using a wireless usb dongle. i hate the word dongle. haha.

downclocking the cpu back to 2.33, without the pci card in i found it takes roughly 17 minutes per frame. with your 3.0 6600s running 1800 ppd, 13 minutes per frame, this agrees with the calculation of clock speed. 3.0 is about 30 percent faster than 2.33, which makes it logical. if i subtract 30% off the avg time of 17 minutes, i would end up with nearly 12. add a minute or 2 for real world performance and you have the 13-14 minute time frame running with the gpu client. this means clock speed REALLY matters, which is another reason for me to oc.

also, i am back to folding for 93, after a short stint with folding@malaysia. you guys are just way too helpful not to repay. :)

EDIT: i think the cpu will throttle back after operating at around 70c for extended periods of time. this happened to me. steady 16 mins per frame for about 2 hours and back to 20+ mins after that. with oc, it was doing 73-75 steady for about 4 hours before it BSODed on me.
    edited December 2008
    you guys are just way too helpful not to repay. (grin)
    Ah, so your tactic is now flattery, is it? (well, it works. we are at your service!)

Those frame times you post now seem to be right on target for your system. Magic, we would be happy to help you select an aftermarket CPU cooler. Many of us live for that type of request. This will be a new topic, so please start a new thread HERE.

Please promise us that you will use thermal paste when you install your CPU cooler. Fro that matter, apply some paste right away. Even the cheap white silicon stuff is far better than nothing! (flattering us will not make us relinquish this demand :) )
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Probably the best Coolermaster heatsink is the V8. If that's the only brand you can get, it'd be my choice.
  • edited December 2008
    haha. the stock cooler didnt come with thermal paste, and the arctic silver 2 i have left over from YEARS ago really doesnt seem like it should be used. in fact it looks like its begging to be thrown away and recycled. i am starting a new thread. but before that, i checked out the v8. D*&^ SON THAT THING IS A MONSTER.
    edited December 2008
    Well, I got my performance up by dropping in the 6.23 binary. Thought I had already done that for this rig :tim:

Getting 2000PPD from 3/4 of the Q6600 @ 3.2GHz. Much better.
  • edited December 2008
    what WU are you folding mason?
    edited December 2008
    what WU are you folding mason?

That's on 2653, sorry, should have specified. :D
  • edited December 2008
    hmm... mines currently doing 1.7-1.8k for 2653.. you got any info on 2665? looks like mines taking ages on that one. barely above 1k ppd. once i drop the cooler in and oc ill share stats.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I have a Q8200 @ 3.2Ghz and am receiving 2421PPD folding a 2653. I am using three cores and the fourth is assigned to the GPU. Get that new cooler with some decent paste and we'll proceed to step 2.

Oh, and welcome to the Team! :wave:
    edited December 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Update: alright, I'm looking at FahMon now, and can report accurately.

System 1: Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, 2 X GPU2 clients running, 1 X SMP. Work unit 2653 at 2987PPD.

System 2: Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, 1 X GPU2 client running, 1 X SMP. Work unit 2653 at 2800 PPD.

System 5: Q6600 @ 3.5GHz, 2 X GPU2 clients running, 1 X SMP. Work unit 2653 at 2999 PPD.

This strikes me as odd. How does both systems running 2 X GPU outwork the system with only one GPU? I see that the single GPU rig is slightly under clocked compared to the others, but, it shouldn't make that big of a difference. :scratch:
    edited December 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    Well, I got my performance up by dropping in the 6.23 binary.

Sorry for all the spam here but what is this about the 6.23 binary?
    edited December 2008
    TBonZ wrote:
    what is this about the 6.23 binary?

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

3/4 of the way down, below the 2 SMP client downloads. I think I only saw an increase because my 6.22 was corrupted, but regardless, we should all be running this as it it the latest version.
    TBonZ wrote:
    This strikes me as odd. How does both systems running 2 X GPU outwork the system with only one GPU? I see that the single GPU rig is slightly under clocked compared to the others, but, it shouldn't make that big of a difference. :scratch:

GPU2 for Nvidia cards using drivers 180.60 or later see virtually no CPU usage from the client, so SMP performance is hardly affected.
    edited December 2008
    GPU2 for Nvidia cards using drivers 180.60 or later see virtually no CPU usage from the client, so SMP performance is hardly affected.
    Yes, but GPU2 performance does fall a little. I have not experimented to see which compromise is the best high production:

- 180.60 drivers or newer -- higher SMP production, slightly lower GPU2 production
    - 178.xx series -- lower SMP production, higher GPU2
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    so if you're not running SMP, which drivers do you recommend for solely GPU2 for maximum production?
    edited December 2008
    If Nvidia GPU2 clients only, I recommend drivers 178.28 (CUDA).
  • edited December 2008
    well boys, the cooler is in. OCZ Vendetta 2. I figured id take my chances with the pushpin mounting system and get over my phobia. going to put it in now.
  • edited December 2008
    all i can say is WOW. averaging 62c at 100% load. i didnt think this possible. stock speeds now. going to OC soon. i would put the pain of installing this monster on par with giving birth. i hope its worth it ;)
    edited December 2008
    averaging 62c at 100% load. going to OC soon.

60C is roughly the highest it should go when you're DONE overclocking. Are you sure you put paste on and have a fan attached?
  • edited December 2008
    yes i put OCZ freeze. and using the stock fan. case is closed btw. also keep in mind the ambient temps here are about 10-15 or maybe even 20c higher than where you might be. 60 is way cool already dude. hehe :)
    edited December 2008
    Regardless, at 60C you're pushing the thermal limits of the chip. You go higher and you're likely shortening the chip lifespan, and much higher and you risk a catastrophic burnout.

I'd think twice about OCing at the moment if I were you.
  • edited December 2008
    thermal specification for q8200 is 71.4c. does that mean anything? anyway.. im going to get a ppd reading over the next few hours and ill take your advice and run it at stock.
    edited December 2008
    also keep in mind the ambient temps here are about 10-15 or maybe even 20c higher than where you might be
    That is something that is so easy not to think about when we communicate in forums. What are your ambient temps?
    60C you're pushing the thermal limits of the chip
    Are you sure? That's child's play (not hot at all) for a Q6600.
    edited December 2008
    60's the highest I'm willing to go on my Q66. Last I checked, max temp according to Intel was 65-70. Where are you seeing otherwise?
  • edited December 2008
    @mason: i am running the proc at 3121 mhz now. it checks out. getting 1878 ppd running the smp and gpu in tandem. oh and WU 2653 :D

well right now id say the ambient temp is about 27-28c. its 1.50am here right now. in the daytime it can easily go up to about 32-35c. if i turn the AC on, the setting on the controller is 21c but i dont think thats the actual temp achieved, 100% load temp goes down to about 66c. without AC load temp is easily 73c. but this is oced at 3121 mhz.