HELP ME PC DONT WANNA BOOT!!!

edited December 2008 in Science & Tech
hi people,
i just built a pc and it turns on, but it doesnt do the beep thing and i have the operating system in it and it comes up with "disk read failed" or something very close and i've tried changing boot sequence and all that
then i got told by a friend to update using update "flash 2" it apparently updated and still didnt work and i think i read on another review they had a problem with a sata controller driver and i think thats whatsrong withmine but i cant update from the internet because i have no operating system.
and i was wondering does any one know how to update the driver without the operating system.

plz reply!! very impatience at the moment. got it for x-mas

before you ask its a asus p5n-d motherboard nforce 750i chipset

thanks again, plz reply

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    You are leaving out critical details.

1) Is this a completely new computer that you built, or is it an upgraded computer with a new motherboard?

2) Did you install Windows for this new computer/new upgrade or is your current Windows installation from a previous configuration?
  • edited December 2008
    sorry lol,
    1)its a completly new computer that i built

2)the thing is it wont let me install windows
    because of this sata controller driver
    edited December 2008
    OK, now we're getting somewhere. When you start the Windows installation, there will be a brief prompt to select F6 to load drivers. At that point you need to select F6 and load your motherboard's SATA drivers from floppy (believe it or not) or USB device. You will need to consult your motherboard manual for instructions enabling USB in the BIOS. It will probably read something like "Enable USB Mass Storage" device.
  • edited December 2008
    right i push the start button then it loads normal then after the asus bit were you can enter the bios it starts to read the cd but then comes up with something like fails to run, then just doesnt run it.

it runs ramtest etc..

everything is connected,

the boot sequence is cd-rom, harddrive.

i got a cd for setting up raid setting acording to a friend
    and i got another cd for things when your in windows and thats it.
    didnt get any thing else.
    edited December 2008
    Sorry, but I am confused.

RAID is irrelevant at this point. If you are attempting to install Windows on a RAID array, please do not. Let's get the Windows installation issue straightened out first.
    and i got another cd for things when your in windows and thats it
    Does that mean that you do NOT have a Microsoft Windows CD to install Windows?
  • edited December 2008
    i do have a windows cd.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    if you are installing XP you need to hit F6 once the process begins. it will soon ask for the floppy disk with the sata drivers on it (only Vista supports USB) once it has the sata drivers from the floppy it will continue normal install.

if you dont have a floppy with the correct sata drivers you will probably need to set the hard drive mode to IDE in bios? to get windows to install.

if you dont have a floppy on your system, its time to make a slipstream XP disk with the drivers on it, and thats an entire different process.
  • edited December 2008
    thanks but the thing is it doesnt even start the process for instalation.

is it possiable to install vista on a ide hard drive and then do the updates for the sata controller then install vista on the sata hard drive? will the update stay with the os on the ide or will it like stay with the bios kinda thing?
    edited December 2008
    so with the cd in it doesnt start the windows installation?
  • edited December 2008
    hi, no it doesnt it just comes up with failed to read disk.

we know the cd drive wors but i'm going to try ide.

ill post later if it works
    edited December 2008
    if its getting to failed to read disk with your cd in, your windows CD probably isnt bootable then.
  • edited December 2008
    the disk works because a friend checked it before he let it to me and we tried xp aswell
    and if anyone is familier with a program called gparted (partition and formating program) this program boots up loads then goes to access hard drive and then it freezes
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited December 2008
    The CD works fine, it will boot fine on any other computer. There is NOTHING wrong with the CD.
  • edited December 2008
    1) does anyone think an ide hard drive would work?
    2) does anyone know a free formating program i can run on boot?

plz people reply
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    to answer your questions.

1.) why wouldn't IDE hard drive work?

2.)why do you need to format anything, the problem right now is that you can't get into windows installation.

there could a number of things wrong to cause this.

bad disc (which you think its not the case)
    bad optical drive
    incorrect setting for the optical drive or the boot settings.
  • edited December 2008
    people that have had this motherboard also have had his problem (some of them)
    e.g. "After a day my PC refused to boot XP, even in safe mode, because of the Nvidia SATA controller driver." http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142585/show_product_reviews

like you said leishi85 the disk isnt the case, the optical drive works fine because it runs ram tests and etc
    and the boot settings are the cd-rom then hard drive

i'm not sure if this is an help but when the problem happens it says "Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter"
    according to the bios ez flash 2, my current rom is;
    ver: 0801
    date: 08/01/2008
    which is the latest bios.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    What did you do that makes you so sure the disk is bootable? Just because another computer can read it doesn not mean that it is bootable.
    edited December 2008
    "Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter"

means either your MBR is messed up or the windows isnt installed on the hard drive.
    OR
    your XP disc is not bootable with the current cdrom drive you are using. try a different one.
  • edited December 2008
    hi people good news and bad news
    good news is the pc works
    bad news its on xp not vista (and its on 32 bit not 64 bit)
    and its running xp on an ide drive not sata
    and on my pc i just built the internet dont work but thats a minor problem
    anyone know why it doesnt not like anything to do with sata?

maybe you two are right about the vista not being bootable, doesnt work for me but works for a friend?? if thats the problem i basicly got to try all cd drives around the house

thanks guys plz still reply abot the sata not working and vista.... thanks
    edited December 2008
    maybe it's because the windows xp disk is a cd, and the vista disk is a DVD, and u and trying to boot the dvd in the cd-rom?
  • edited December 2008
    I bet your internet don't work because you have not run your chipset support CD yet
    edited December 2008
    Yup, Craig you are a fool :)
    Also
    does anyone know a free formating program i can run on boot?
    Both XP and Vista CD/DVDs are capable of formating and partitioning a harddrive.
    Just one question, is your drive a CD drive or DVD drive. If its a CD drive then no wonder it couldnt read Vista because that is a DVD.
  • edited December 2008
    we tried my external CD/DVD drive and that would not work on his pc and that same drive will boot the same vista dvd on my pc:confused:
    edited December 2008
    when u guys used the external cd/dvd drive, is it USB? Did you set up the bios correctly to boot usb devices?
  • edited December 2008
    hi people im speaking to u now with the just built pc liam that cd doesnt have anything to do with internet etc just norton internet security and everything like that!! lol
    and mark and everyones right about the cd/dvd-rom mine is a cd-rom im takng it to my cousins today to see if he can get vista and a sata drive working

ill post later

but we tried liams dvd drive
    and the sata hard drive works in windows
    im going to try my dads dvd drive
    edited December 2008
    Craig and liam, try to break up your sentences with commas and fullstops. It makes it much easier to understand you when sentences are properly broken up :).
    So you have a CD drive right? Not a DVD drive. If so then you wont be able to install vista because it is a DVD. To install Vista using an external DVD drive you need to enable USB devices or somthing in the BIOS.
    Just buy a DVD drive. They are pretty inexpensive and will last you.
    I have a good DVD drive in my pc. You can borrow it if you need to to install Vista.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2008
    It looks like there's alot of good data here, but it's segmented like a swap partition on a SCSI array.

First off. Not every CD drive likes to read every CD disk, same with DVD and Blu-Ray. Some drives are assholes. Some discs are assholes. If it works in another computer, it should work in many but not all.

Secondly, Vista installed on my dad's Sempron 2600, which got fried and still works. That means Vista will install on anything that meets it's requirements.

PROTIP! Play around in your bios and familiarize yourself with it, just don't change things unless you know what they are.

If you're using a USB DVD drive, go into your bios, removable boot devices, put the USB CD drive at the top, then set the boot order to Removable, HD, CDROM and you're done in the bios. Huck it on the roof and wait a few hours while windows installs...And you're done.

If you don't have your network set up in XP, run your chipset driver installation software, such as the driver CD that came with your motherboard. If that isn't present, thumbsticks and libraries are awesome. Everyone's got both in their town. You can also go to a local PC repair place and ask if they can download a driver for you. They might even do it for free.

SATA will work blind on most newer motherboards due to something called IDE emulation. It treats the controller as a normal IDE interface, saying that two ports make one host. XP will install on the Sata drive, as long as you don't have raid enabled in your bios.

And I think that's everything.
  • edited December 2008
    right to all people who have replied and helped its done i got vista on it and it works, the sata hdd works etc...

thanks people
    edited December 2008
    Dont forget to remove the jumper off the Sata HDD to unlock full speed :)
    Glad its finally working! Enjoy your new pc Craig :D
  • edited December 2008
    ahh people if you thought this problem spree ended well your wrong, i did the updates for vista from the microsoft website and i restarted it as normal and it comes up with the loading bar then the screen goes blank, CAN anyone explain?
    just to say the screen is connected and powered same with pc
    but it gets to that point and goes blank, the pc is still running when this happens (hdd light flashes)

any ideas?