Would it get more PPD to use GPU2 than SMP?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited December 2008 in Folding@Home
Hi, I am a complete folding noob and I know nothing about it other than what it is doing.

My specs are
Asus M2N-E SLI
2gb 800mhz ram
AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.6ghz
Nvidia 8500GT 512MB at 667/482
core/mem

What would be best as my pc is in my room, I use it and I cant keep it on overnight. Would it be best to just switch on GPU2 folding while im using the PC or afk. Switch to SMP when playing source games and turn off folding when playing Crysis.
Or, is my machine so weak that its more of a waste of electricity than it is helpful.

Can anyone estimate how many PPD I could get?

Thanks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Alrighty then, Mr. R.Rocks, you caught my attention. Let me do a little digging and I'll get back with you.
    edited December 2008
    You are going to be famous, respected, and wealthy! Well, Sir, I'm not exactly sure about the 'wealthy' part, but anyway, we'll get you Folding. Your system will richly benefit the Folding@Home program as well as your brothers in arms in Team 93?

I recommend for your system:

1. GPU2 client "Windows XP/2003/Vista GPU System tray client (installer msi." Your video card will handle this without any problems. This client version has a pause/resume feature that you access by right clicking the System Tray icon. Works perfectly, easy to install. Turn it off at night and you'll still be able to complete the projects with time to spare.

2. Install Nvidia (CUDA) drivers 180.60. These drivers allow your GPU Folding to be resourced almost 99% to the GPU itself, requiring almost no CPU core resources.

If all that goes well for you, then consider running the 6.23 Windows SMP client on your CPU. I run multi-GPU plus SMP on all my systems.

Give at least the GPU client a try. Is your computer case well ventilated? I recommend you install GPU-Z to monitor your GPU's core temperature. You should be OK, but Folding runs CPU and GPU cores at 100%.

Check for any advice needed or just to comment! Remember, when you configure Folding@Home, your Team will be "93."

Folding installation guide.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited December 2008
    Righty, ill get right on it!
    Thanks
    Yes my computer is very well ventilated :D
    I have an Antec 1200 :)

For GPU2 should I get

"Windows XP/2003/Vista GPU System tray client with special viewer for NVIDIA GPU's (installer msi)" or just "Windows XP/2003/Vista GPU System tray client (installer msi)"
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Windows XP/2003/Vista GPU System tray client (installer msi)
    edited December 2008
    Ok, thanks :)
    edited December 2008
    Right, installed CUDA driver. GPU2 and SMP clients :)
    I feel good already :D
    I have been folding for a little while before last year. Ive been folding for about a month occationally on team 93 this year.
    Now ill try and do even more!

Thanks Leo and K. :)
    edited December 2008
    We kept your seat open on the Team 93 bus ("motor coach" for our UK members).