Dual GPU folding ?

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Folding@Home
I bought myself a GTX 260 Core 216 for Christmas. 37 sec a frame on project 5765 for 8243 ppd. wow
This went in my gamer and now I have an extra 8800 gtx. I also have another box with a spare 16x slot , it has an 8800gts in one of its 2 slots.
If I put it in that box , what is the skinny on running 2 GPU clients ?
The box in question is a Dual core 4400+ currently running 1 GPU and 1 SMP , XP Pro sp3 and 180.43 drivers. And my APC software indicates I have plenty of available power for it.

Affinities ?
Directories ?

Both cards are EVGA and I use EVGA Precision for overclocking the cards. Any body now how that works with 2 cards ?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Scott

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Definitely doable, basically just like it used to work using multiple clients on early dual-core chips. Use two different directories, set up the clients with two different machine IDs, and the shortcut to start the clients needs to have a flag on it to tell which client to use which graphics core. It's just -gpu 1 or -gpu 0, etc.

Go ahead and set affinities with something like ProcessLasso or the like. I think there are some quirks where you might have to extend a desktop onto another fake monitor or something, but others can step in and clarify that for you.

Thanks for folding!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Whoa, lots of questions flying at me quickly. Scott, I'm a full dual GPU convert now. I can't ever remember having so much fun with Folding. This is similar to the dual Gromacs work units and the introduction of Windows SMP clients for the excitement factor.

NOTE:

1. Dual GPU is generally very successful if all GPUs have the same core. Be advised, users are reporting rather severe problems when trying to engage mixed cores, such as G92 and G80 running at the same time. It is best with multi-GPU Folding that all video cards have the same Stream Processor count. For instance, if you try to run a 9600 with 96 stream processors alongside an 8800 or 9800 with 112, Windows/GPU clients may have a fit.

2. You do not need to assign affinities unless you are running a CPU client simultaneously with the GPU client(s).

3. If you do run CPU and GPU clients simultaneously and your video card is Nvidia, use the 180.60 drivers. These drivers allow the GPU clients' production to be nearly 100% on the GPU core(s), freeing the CPU core(s) for CPU Folding clients and everyday computer use. I have tested Nividia drivers extensively and must recommend 180.60 for multi-GPU/CPU combined Folding.

Stanford's official guide is the best I've seen for setting up multi-GPU. Follow it to the letter.

You probably do not need to set CPU core affinities if you are not running GPU and CPU clients simultaneously.

Check in here in your thread if you have any problems whatsoever!
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Good news bad news

Good
    I do have 2 identical 8800gs's , I'll have to swap the gtx for a gs in another box ...no big deal.

Bad
    The other 16x slot in that box is in line with the hard drive cage. The second card will not fit. The cage currently has a couple of 320's in it. If there was only 1 drive I could move it so the card would fit. So it looks like I also have to buy myself a new 1TB drive. :) Ohh the things we do... :fold:

So I guess it will be later in the week before I can get it in there.

Thanks guys

Scott

Leo: it looks like you are about a 10 days away from number 1 !! :respect::respect:
    All Hail King Leo :respect::respect:
    edited December 2008
    Scott, if you need the time to tinker, you could experiment with a mixed 295/8800 configuration. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work. It won't screw up your Windows configuration.

BTW, did you take a look at the setup guide I linked? Any questions?

You have email
    edited December 2008
    Leonardo wrote:

BTW, did you take a look at the setup guide I linked? Any questions?

You have email

Yup read it , all is good ! Thanks :thumbup

As soon as I get the big hdd I will add the second card.

email replied

Scott
    edited January 2009
    OK , did a major hardware shuffle today and got everything sorted out and running good !

5 GPU clients and 4 SMP's ( 2 smp's on dual cores and 2 on quad cores )

FAHMon is reporting 30913 ppd.

I am pleased.
    Thanks for the help guys !

Scott
    edited January 2009
    Outstanding! That's some additional production for Team 93, and some stiff competition in the team from you!

Do you have another PCI-e slot free? I'll have a 9800GT available for LOW price in about three days, if you are interested. :D

I did some upgrading/reshuffling in the last couple days as well. I replaced to Corsair 550W PSUs with a Corsair 750 and a Cooler Master 850. Prepping for triple-GPU Folding in a couple boxes.
    edited January 2009
    Leonardo wrote:

Do you have another PCI-e slot free? I'll have a 9800GT available for LOW price in about three days, if you are interested. :D

I do have one more slot under my new 260. But from what I have read it may not work well. Could be a real gamble.

Scott

Looks like today is the day for our new leader to take the number 1 spot. :fold::thumbup You are really smokin Leo !!
    edited January 2009
    I do have one more slot under my new 260. But from what I have read it may not work well. Could be a real gamble.
    You are correct. I wouldn't make that gamble. G92 tends to only play well with G92 in the Folding sandbox.