Dell Inspiron 531 Upgrading

DarakDarak Whitchurch
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Heya,

I unwhititngly bought a Dell Inspiron 531 for £450 last october not realising that it would be hard to upgrade and i would have no information to work with on the motherboard.

I am not a computer expert (yet) but id like to think im getting good :). Basically my quick specs are:

AMD Athalon 4400+ (2.3ghz dual core) (AM2 Socket)
2 GB ram @ 667mhz (DDR2)
Nvidia geforce 8600gt 256mb
22" and 19" on dualview
Windows Vista Home Premium

I play alot of intensive games (Cod4, crysis and WoW atm) and my computer is not coping with this as well as i would like. I need to be able to play games and listen to music or watch TV/films while keeping a good FPS so an upgrade is in order i think.

However the problems i have encounterd relate to the motherboard in the computer. it is an ASUS M2N61-AX. :rant: I cant find any specs anywhere on this blasted dell custom made motherboard. I want to put in the best processor it will fit so i looked at some of this AMD phenom things but i am not sure whether they will fit. I also wanted to put in some ram (4gb DDR2 @ 1066mhz) but again i am unsure whether it will fit. And i will be putting in a nvidia geforce 8800gt 512.

Also i want to upgrade the case but i dont know whether this is an ATX motherboard so compatability may be an issue along with it only haveing a 350W power supply (is this too low?)

I would appreciate any help you could offer or suggestions.

Thanks
Darak

Comments

• fuctifinofuctifino "I ain't sure Toto, but it doesn't look much like Kansas to me"
    edited November 2008
    This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron#Inspiron_531) would suggest that upgrading the CPU is possible but that the motherbopard is there to stay unless you want to start chopping the case about, i would think that unless you can find more detailed specs on the Mb buying 1066 memory could be a waste of money because i only see reference to 667 and 800MHz so . . . . . !

Good Luck.
  • DarakDarak Whitchurch
    edited November 2008
    I just wish there was some difinitive information saying that the ASUS M2N61-AX will take thr AMD Phenom. For now i think im going to go ahead and buy the RAM and the graphics card. I also contacted dell via email and asked simply whether my motherboard would take the processors and they replied saying that my warrenty was over. (thanks dell for the generosity) Will post here with results.

Would be nice to know if it was an ATX motherboard. (If i have an ATX power supply as suggested in that wiki is it an ATX motherboard?) MEH!

Thanks
    DaRaK
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Putting in 4GB or DDR2 800 should be no problem.
    Upgrading the video card should also be straight forward, but this might send you looking for a bigger power supply.
    Maybe on the Dell site you can find the BIOS update, sometimes the comments will include which CPUs it covers.
  • edited November 2008
    It should be a modified ATX board that simply doesn't have any ps2 ports for keyboard or mounse, from looking at this page on Dell's site. And Dell has gone away from using psu's with proprietary connections some years ago, but the page I kined to also shows the pinouts on the ATX connector for you to double check. One thing I did notice in that page I linked is that iit doesn't show a 6 or 8 pin PCI-e connector on the psu, so you might have to either replace it or have to use a Molex>PCI-e power cable adapter if your new vid card needs external power.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Make sure you buy RAM that runs at JEDEC spec voltage. I tried to upgrade the RAM in my Inspiron 531, and my first purchase was a failure because it needed extra voltage to run at its rated speed. The M2N61-AX is not capable of voltage adjustments with the stock BIOS, nor does it provide anything higher than spec DDR2 voltage.
  • DarakDarak Whitchurch
    edited November 2008
    In light of whats been posted here i have been looking for a bios update. The notes only said "added cpu support" so i thought i would download and install it anyway. Now for some reason i cannot get the stupid .exe file to do anything, i have tired in administrator and in windows XP SP2 mods in compartability but it just wont open anything.

Im thinking it may be something to do with me having a x64 OS and dell only suppoting a x32. However i just installed the driver for the chipset without any problems.

Grr.
  • edited November 2008
    Hi Darak,

You're not alone my friend ;-) I've also got an inspirion 531.

Will tell you where im at as it's quite similar to you!!

last week i bought i installed a new graphics card and psu, this is indeed also on the asus m2n61 ax mother board and everything is running sweetly, i bought a standard atx psu which dell actually (although warranty expired) have said is okay and then installed a new ati 4850, which is running sweetly.

Now i've come to the part where i want to update the bios, my warranty is scewed anyways (bothered)?? ;-)

Been looking around for a bios update for the past day and not got very far, anyone who can recommend a good site will be a star!! :smiles:

Si
  • DarakDarak Whitchurch
    edited November 2008
    Update!

The new graphics card and processor went in without a hitch, however i have just been on http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%20531 and its now telling me that each of my slots cannot support more than a 1GB stick.

As i have bought 2*2gb it is not compatable :(

So. Will be looking for prices on 4*1gb DDR2 800mhz sticks
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    That laptop has 4 memory slots? Most (if not all) only one or two.... Are you sure it has 4 slots?
    edited November 2008
    The Inspiron 531 is a micro-ATX form factor desktop for which Dell just recycled the "Inspiron" name.

That being said, however, the last two memory slots get awfully close to the optical drive bays, so depending on what you have in there it might be tight.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    GHoosdum wrote:
    The Inspiron 531 is a micro-ATX form factor desktop for which Dell just recycled the "Inspiron" name.
    I learned something new about Dell's. Why the hell did they use a LAPTOP name on a desktop? :scratch:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Because brand names are very important to consumers who don't know the tech inside. Very important. Branding and name recognition are two of the most critical elements of marketing.

Darak, that comments wasn't necessarily directed at you.
  • edited November 2008
    Hey Darak, since you already have the 2 gig sticks, give them a try and see if they will work. They just might work anyways.
  • mew905mew905 Saskatchewan
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I run a GIGABYTE ODIN GT 550 watt power supply, an 8800GT, 3GB PC2-5300 and upgraded the processor to an 5000+. I've heard the 89 watt X2 6000+ will work just fine and I've heard nothing of the phenoms. I did read the phenom will work in AM2 (not plus) boards, but with limited capability. Personally, I dont care much for quad cores at the moment.

My Dilemma is I want to upgrade to PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM, and I know that everything on the Dell desktop (in terms of physical slots) is standardized. However alot of the RAM I want to use runs at 1.9v, 2.0v, and some even at 2.2v. So, I dont want to go out and buy RAM that wont run in my system. I wanted the OCZ XLC series memory but it's 2v (see below as to why). I'm trying to alleviate the bottleneck on my PC because I feel my 8800 isnt getting the info fast enough to run at full capability. If the RAM doesnt help any, I plan on upgrading (again) to a 6000+.

Here's basically what I plan on doing to my 531.

EOTY planned upgrades:
    4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM
    1TB 7200RPM Harddrive (second drive)

By March, 2009 i plan on the following (thank you tax return!):
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (or 6000+ if the 6400 wont work)
    HDD: 300GB WD Velociraptor 10,000 RPM (replacing my factory 160GB)
    Video: GeForce GTX 280 (I use CUDA apps alot)
    ODD: Blu-Ray/HD DVD reader (no burning capability, BD-R @ $1/GB can eat me)

Cooling is going to be another big one for me. Dell doesnt use the stock CPU cooler, theirs is bigger with a bigger fan, so I was going to go to water cooling (always wanted to try it). I was thinking about the Thermaltake Bigwater 830i (or whatever, it's not the drive bay unit, it's a separate 120mm rad, reservoir, CPU block and pump kit)
    I will also be buying a GTX 280 waterblock but I'm afraid as to whether the RAM temps will get out of control (AFAIK the GTX water block doesn't cover them)

Also, anybody figure out a way to overclock the 531? Even a modded BIOS would be nice. Free performance always helps.
    edited December 2008
    If you're spending that much money, you would be better served by simply adding a new motherboard to the upgrades and being able to overclock and use RAM with higher voltages.

The Dell 531 motherboard only supports the 1.8V DDR2, but OCZ does make some PC2-6400 parts in 1.8V. That's what I'm running in my machine, but I can't currently find the item listed on the OCZ website any longer.
    edited December 2008
    Mew905, you are making the original poster's thread a bit complex - confusing to the readers. Your topic is a good one and worthy of replies. Make your life and ours easier by opening your own thread. That way we don't confuse your inquiries with the topic at hand...or vice versa.
  • DarakDarak Whitchurch
    edited December 2008
    muddocktor wrote:
    Hey Darak, since you already have the 2 gig sticks, give them a try and see if they will work. They just might work anyways.

Well in response to this, i did try this ram and my computer did not boot. Thats how i initially found out that it wasnt working.

The new ram arrived and fitted in perfectly. (PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM)

My framerate has been allmost doubled in games such as CoD4/5 and WoW so im very happy. My next step is a 1tb HDD and another 22" screen. I wish the motherboard was better e.g. overdclockable and newer etc however if i change it now i forsee having to change the upgrades i have allready done so im fine for anther year or 2 i think..

Thanks to everyone who helped me :P
    edited December 2008
    Awesome news, Darak!
    edited December 2008
    Good work, Darak. Now, start saving your money for the custom home-build you can do in a year or so! I think you are ready for that stage, or will be. We will be here to help.
    edited December 2008
    Darak wrote:
    Well in response to this, i did try this ram and my computer did not boot. Thats how i initially found out that it wasnt working.

The new ram arrived and fitted in perfectly. (PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM)

My framerate has been allmost doubled in games such as CoD4/5 and WoW so im very happy. My next step is a 1tb HDD and another 22" screen. I wish the motherboard was better e.g. overdclockable and newer etc however if i change it now i forsee having to change the upgrades i have allready done so im fine for anther year or 2 i think..

Thanks to everyone who helped me :P

Do me a favor (if you're gonna try and put a new motherboard in) and let me know if the mobo upgrade can be done. AFAIK as long as the VGA port is in the same location as the original motherboard, it may be possible to upgrade it. all the other ports (unless you're getting a mobo with Serial and Parallel ports) should sit *just* behind the IO shield, rendering them unusable, but at least you can swap the mobo. Also thanks for lettin us know if the 2GB sticks dont work, was considering them, but I think I'll stick with 3-4GB PC2-6400. I am constantly searching for a way to overclock the 531 though, so maybe I'll find it one day. After all, I figured out how to stop the Inspiron 5150 from overheating so much (at least with a 2.8GHz HTT P4). :)

I cant remember, I'm about 45% sure Phenoms work in the older AM2 sockets (just throttled down alot), am I correct? or is it only the socket (AM2+) thats backward capable?
    edited December 2008
    Mew05, the I/O shield is mainly irrelevant. New motherboards will be packaged with I/O shield configured for the particular board. What Darak was referring to, changing parts with a motherboard upgrade, would things such as different specification memory, like DDR3 versus DDR 2.
    edited December 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Mew05, the I/O shield is mainly irrelevant. New motherboards will be packaged with I/O shield configured for the particular board. What Darak was referring to, changing parts with a motherboard upgrade, would things such as different specification memory, like DDR3 versus DDR 2.

Reason I brought up the I/O shield is because the 531 doesnt have a removable one, and lacks everything except the VGA, 4 USB, 6 audio and 1 LAN connection openings. Still, would be cool to know if the mobo could be swapped.
  • edited December 2008
    What case upgrade can I use for my 531 m/b? And what wiring or other mods should I expect to have to do to install my 531 in a new case? Is the m/b a micro atx form factor?
    edited December 2008
    Almost any aftermarket mid or full tower case will have pre-drilled holes for ATX and M-ATX. When you are looking at cases online, just ensure to find the specifications. If it's a good online vendor, they will list what motherboards the case will accommodate.

The only wiring constraints that might come into play are lengths of the cables from your PSU (power supply unit). If you are running the original PSU from your brand computer, it might be the cables are in lengths only long enough your current case's dimensions.
  • edited December 2008
    OK Thank you. I have been told screw holes are way different, and there are no wiring diagrams for my dell 531 so I CAN CORRECTLY CONNECT CASE WIRES.
    edited December 2008
    The only wires that might be difficult are the very small ones that are clustered together. They should all be on the lower right of the motherboard. Open your computer and look on the motherboard. See if you can find what I'm referring to. There should be tiny text printed above or below the little pins. A new case's similar "wires" will have an similar markings on the wires' connectors. Those will be the only wires that might be troublesome.

You need to find whatever you can about your current mother and determine its form factor - it's design type, such as "Micro ATX." Almost all new motherboards will have pre-drilled holes to match Micro-ATX, ATX, and a couple other form factors.
  • edited December 2008
    This is my brother trying to upgrade his 531, new case and vid card and psu, I am in canada and hes in Philly, lol. I asked him for the service tag # then I will get m/b make and model, and then I can get the m/b schematics/ layout , so I can see what pins on block are pled + and - etc. I realise I sounded like a rookie here at first, lol, and appreciate your patience. I am hoping to get off work long enought to go down for superbowl party, then I will build it right for him, unless he gets impatient, so I am trying to gather all the info from here to guide him through the process. He hasnt done the custom builds on so many pcs, as I have ,so hes a little scared. Most cases come with standoffs and plenty of m/b mounting holes in them, yet hes worried the holes dont match up.If needed I drill my own holes in plate and install exact mounts where I need them. Anyone else who has installed the 531 desktop m/b in a new case and has any suggestions/ or input on layout problems / help is greatly appreciated. Once again thanks for your patience, and Merry Christmas!:hair:
  • edited December 2008
    I found the m/b make and model wasnt without some pains. It is an asus m2n61-ax, yes its made for dell inspiron 531. Dells award winning support isnt winning anything in my book here! I called my brother, made him open case, and the hd led pins prsw pins etc are labelled on the board right by the connector. Normally I like to pull up the m/b manual from the maker and make sure I can read exactly where the new case wires go on the m/b.Also want to make sure polarity is correct . So far on asus site they act like this m/b doesnt exist! I,m going to get the manual for this m/b if it takes me a week! Dont know why Dell has to make this so difficult, its only upgrading the darn case! Anyone that can find the manual for this specific m/b , please post a link here, thanks and Happy holidays! :rolleyes:
    edited December 2008
    Mirac1977 wrote:
    I found the m/b make and model wasnt without some pains. It is an asus m2n61-ax, yes its made for dell inspiron 531. Dells award winning support isnt winning anything in my book here! I called my brother, made him open case, and the hd led pins prsw pins etc are labelled on the board right by the connector. Normally I like to pull up the m/b manual from the maker and make sure I can read exactly where the new case wires go on the m/b.Also want to make sure polarity is correct . So far on asus site they act like this m/b doesnt exist! I,m going to get the manual for this m/b if it takes me a week! Dont know why Dell has to make this so difficult, its only upgrading the darn case! Anyone that can find the manual for this specific m/b , please post a link here, thanks and Happy holidays! :rolleyes:

There is no manual for the Inspiron mobo, its a custom built GeForce 6150/430i board, but you may be able to find a schematic of the original, unmodified board. Also I wouldnt personally move it into another case, as the I/O shield (where all the USB, onboard video, PS/2 ports, ethernet, sound, etc. come out) isnt removable and is custom to their board. Moving it to a new case means you're out an IO shield as well as a huge gaping hole in the back of the case (and if the provided one fits, then you still have like 8 or 9 other holes that will allow dust in freely).

As for the front parts of the case, usually there's a diagram somewhere on the motherboard near the connector that will tell you what goes where. Dell uses a 1-piece part for ease, another reason I wouldnt switch the case. Plus, why have dell innards in a non-dell case?

As for the PSU and video card upgrade, the dell has *just* under 9 inches of space between the harddrive rack and the rear of the case (meaning to insert an 8800GT you need to remove the second harddrive if any, until the video card is in, then you can re-install the second HDD) and it'll take some maneuvering to get it in, not much though. However if you're looking at say a GTX 280 (10.5 inches long AND dual slot) you're gonna have to maneuver pretty creatively I would think. I'll be embarking on that adventure probably as soon as late january. The PSU is just a standard ATX power supply, so that'll be a snap to find one. however you will have to bend some metal to get it in there (the top rail, the rear brace for the PSU, and depending on the depth, move the DVD drive) all the plugs will fit like any normal motherboard. The provided power supply is only a 300 watt with 4 SATA plugs, a 24-pin ATX plug, and a 4-pin mobo plug (P4?)

It does use the normal screw points of a micro ATX board (thats what size it is BTW), it does NOT have ANY PATA sockets, but does have one floppy. It also has 3 front USB plugs as well as a front audio plug (all of which are one solid piece connector, again for ease).

Just a hint: There is JUST enough room at the front to screw on an 80mm fan using only 1 screw through the metal, I have it blowing at my video card.
  • edited December 2008
    Yes I got the case wiring all setup, 8800gt will go in no problem, only 1 320 gig h/d to fit in. I have several i/o plates 2 are real close, so I will custon cut 1 , and custom fit it in new case, (using my dremel as I usually do). Upgraded psu to 500 watt 30 amps at 12 volt rail. Good luck with your build on this type of pc.It has its challenges but thats what seperates the real modders and custom builders from the rookies. Also installing a total of 4 fans and a fan /temp controller to monitor the situation .Also thinking of installing a ram cooler later on if it looks like it may help increase life of ram and keep overall performance up to par.Also have the modified AMD cpu heatsink/ fan for optimum cpu cooling. Keep in touch when you embark on your build, I will help in anyway I can and thanks again for your input. Happy holidays.