Vista & Windows SMP Folding

TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Folding@Home
Bought a laptop yesterday with Vista 32-Bit Home installed and am trying to get the folding client installed but my problem is installing the services with install.bat. I get an error: "OpenSCManager failed: Access is denied. <error 5>

I have right-clicked on the batch file and selected ""Run as administrator" in which case I'm prompted with "Windows needs my permission to continue" and I select continue and the cmd interface opens and then immediately closes.

Anyone encounter this bs before?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Did you run the install.bat in the actual admin account and so on and so forth?
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I can get to where I can login to the Admin account where?

I ran the initial setup last night and the account created should be the admin account. From the login page I have no other option but to sign in with the account created with the original setup.
    edited December 2008
    How much am I frustrated with my Vista experience?

This much..

<
    pissed
    >
    edited December 2008
    Enable the "Administrator" account by right clicking "Computer" in the start menu and going to manage; then go to local users and groups, select users, and enable the admin account that way. Note that it also needs a passworded account to run correctly.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Vista does not have an actual "administrator" account anymore. The first account is the local admin account. If I remember correctly, you need to set a password on the account then when you "run as..." it should prompt for a password. try that.
    edited December 2008
    Ahem.... yes it does.
    edited December 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Enable the "Administrator" account by right clicking "Computer" in the start menu and going to manage; then go to local users and groups, select users, and enable the admin account that way. Note that it also needs a passworded account to run correctly.

I don't have "local users and groups" in my menu.
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Vista does not have an actual "administrator" account anymore. The first account is the local admin account. If I remember correctly, you need to set a password on the account then when you "run as..." it should prompt for a password. try that.

See my quote below...
    TBonZ wrote:

I have right-clicked on the batch file and selected ""Run as administrator" in which case I'm prompted with "Windows needs my permission to continue" and I select continue and the cmd interface opens and then immediately closes.

/me bangs head off desk and goes to bed.
    edited December 2008
    You don't see anything like this?

picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=153
    edited December 2008
    I do not Snarkasm.

Being a stubborn bastidge I kept at it and just got folding. I needed to right-click on the actual folding directory and select Properties--->Security, and grant Users (COMPUTER NAME\Users) Full Control. Apply and apply again, run install.bat and the service installed. Hail Mary!
    edited December 2008
    Interesting. Glad you solved it, though that's curious.

What version are you running?
    edited December 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:

What version are you running?

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Copyright 2007
    Service Pack 1

But as Quinton said, it DOES appear that Vista dropped the Admin account altogether.
    edited December 2008
    No, it looks like they just made it harder to get to in Home Premium.

As I showed, my Ultimate copy makes it easy enough to enable the Admin account. Must be one of those things they don't think Home users need.
    edited January 2009
    I'll try that link out tomorrow. Looks like what I need. :)