Calling all bearded men of Icrontic

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Bearded men, perhaps the day is upon us when good deals are to be found!
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68389

Stay tuned.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    No way. Never wait. Let the ladies know that you're brave enough to put a blade to your face and damn the consequences.

This. I have a slight scar still from a really bad cut I gave myself with my DE on my right neck center. Be a man with cold steel to face!

I haven't shaved in awhile, currently giving a full beard a shot. I'm shaving my neck, because neck beards are fail. Pretty happy with it, but I think I'll shave it back down to the goat soon. I miss the shaving.

Thinking about trying out a shaving soap. I currently use Proraso cream in a tube, it works well and smells great. But I'd like to give a soap a try, just to see how it differs.

How do you use a soap? I've never really looked into it. Do you stick it in a coffee mug, add some water and build lather in the same mug, or do you build the lather seperate from the soap?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I build the lather on the soap
    edited December 2008
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dd7Aj9vwrtc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dd7Aj9vwrtc&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and also

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXVxXvv_8yk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXVxXvv_8yk&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is how to get a decent lather.
    edited December 2008
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    When I build a lather with a soap, I begin by getting the soap wet while I soak the brush. Then I dump the water off the soap and squeeze and shake excess water out of the brush. Then I swirl the brush on the soap to load it.

To build a lather from this, you either build it in a mug with some additional water, your hand, your wet face, just about anywhere. On weekdays when I'm trying to get to work I lather right on my face to save time. The lather is less well-built but it's fast and I use glycerin soaps for this to provide a little extra lubricity and cushion.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I've tried 3 different Col. Conk soaps. My favorite so far is the Almond, followed closely by the Bayrum, then the Lime. But bear in mind it's not 1,2,3. More like 1a,1b,1c. They're all quality shave soaps.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Oh my gosh you guys, whats next a thread about fine scotch and the art of smoking with a pipe? 1952 came and went. Let's move on.
    It is time to be a modern metrosexual and just rub <a href="http://www.nads.com/products_us/for_men/mens_handsfree_creme2">nads all over your face</a>.
    midga
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Zing!
    edited December 2008
    Oh my gosh you guys, whats next a thread about fine scotch and the art of smoking with a pipe? 1952 came and went. Let's move on.

We could do that too. I know we've had the scotch discussion before, and certainly there are some here who'd smoke pipes. The problem with scotch is that fine ones are as costly as good computer parts, and most of us only have so much money. Pipe smoking is an art, but also a health hazard most of us chose to abstain from.
    It is time to be a modern metrosexual and just rub <a href="http://www.nads.com/products_us/for_men/mens_handsfree_creme2">nads all over your face</a>.

If you like nads in your face, that's your prerogative and we'll support your lifestyle.
    nohohan11.jpg
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    If you like nads in your face, that's your prerogative and we'll support your lifestyle.
    nohohan11.jpg

^5. Icrontic does not discriminate. Except maybe against preening metrosexuals.

For me, wetshaving is not just about comfort, it's like driving a car with manual transmission. It removes the tedium from a mundane task. While I'm still relatively new and still make mistakes, I now look forward to shaving. I haven't yet mastered my technique and my skin is still a bit too fragile to start ATG, but I do 2 or 3 passes WTG and my skin feels great. Plus the shave soaps smell great.
    edited March 2009
    My proraso is just about out. Though I'm buying another tube (it's so easy for travel) I'm thinking about trying some actual soap.

Prime, the soap you have right now, I smelled it during winter blast. That soap is epic. Is it still the Nag Champa from Suzie's bubbles?

Thinking about trying new blades too.... still using Persona. Happy with them, but why not mix things up?

I still bleed often when shaving, primarily on my neck. Still think it's due in part to my super sensitive skin. I'm thinking about trying out some sort of pre-shave or post-shave lotion formulated for sensitive skins. Any suggestions, or is it just that my shave technique is teh suck?
    edited March 2009
    Lynx, honestly I think it's your technique. I also have super sensitive skin, and used to bleed a lot, but I changed up the pressure and direction I was using on certain parts of my face and that problem is gone.

I look at pictures of myself when I was shaving with M3/Fusion and I notice the blotchiness and sort-of-redness of my cheeks, and I shake my head.

Yeah, the soap I use is Susie's Bubbles Nag Champa scent. I went and bought myself a soap puck (that was way overpriced) from the Art of Manliness store in Las Vegas, and am not happy with it. I'm going back to Susie when this puck is gone.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Lynx, honestly I think it's your technique. I also have super sensitive skin, and used to bleed a lot, but I changed up the pressure and direction I was using on certain parts of my face and that problem is gone.

I look at pictures of myself when I was shaving with M3/Fusion and I notice the blotchiness and sort-of-redness of my cheeks, and I shake my head.

Yeah, the soap I use is Susie's Bubbles Nag Champa scent. I went and bought myself a soap puck (that was way overpriced) from the Art of Manliness store in Las Vegas, and am not happy with it. I'm going back to Susie when this puck is gone.

You mean Art of Shaving? Their cream is about $20 and it is top notch. I use it, it's definitely the best shaving cream I've used for brush.

Lynx, it's your technique. Go slower, try a 45 degree angle instead of a 30 degree angle.
    edited March 2009
    Yes, art of shaving. No, not a cream. A soap puck.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Yes, art of shaving. No, not a cream. A soap puck.

Yeah, I'm just saying. I'm not a big fan of the soap pucks in general.
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited March 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    My proraso is just about out. Though I'm buying another tube (it's so easy for travel) I'm thinking about trying some actual soap.

Prime, the soap you have right now, I smelled it during winter blast. That soap is epic. Is it still the Nag Champa from Suzie's bubbles?

Thinking about trying new blades too.... still using Persona. Happy with them, but why not mix things up?

I still bleed often when shaving, primarily on my neck. Still think it's due in part to my super sensitive skin. I'm thinking about trying out some sort of pre-shave or post-shave lotion formulated for sensitive skins. Any suggestions, or is it just that my shave technique is teh suck?
    edited March 2009
    More like Dr. Bronner's batshit crazy soap.

dr-bronner-peppermint-soap-label.png
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    what. the. hell.
    edited March 2009
    I've used that soap. It feels like burning. The label is ^5 though.
    edited March 2009
    dilute! dilute!
    edited March 2009
    OK, tried using a more severe angle on the razor this morning, results were positive. I let the smooth top of the razor glide on my skin and just barelyrotated the blade to my skin. The razor didn't drag, the whole process felt a lot more smooth. Pressure has always been light, but I tried to extenuate that even more with the new angle.

I've been holding the razor at an angle that had the optimum cut/pull. Felt it would be the most efficient, but I'm starting to think that was my problem. Been doing it that way for so long that I didn't even think twice about it.

I still bled a little around my jaw, but I blame the shaving cream. My Proraso is almost completely out, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. As a result, the lather today SUCKED. Very airy, didn't lubricate my skin for crap. Going to have to get some more before I'll get a good shave in.
    edited March 2009
    You're doing it right now.
    edited March 2009
    I've used Dr. Bronner's soap before. The label is still kept original by the company, even though the founder is long gone. 1 part Dr. Bronner's Almond soap to 3 parts water in a foaming soap pump makes a really good hand soap. Also try the peppermint on your nether regions and WAKE UP immediately. Better than Pepsi Maxxxxx!
    edited March 2009
    you put pepsi maxx on your balls?
    edited March 2009
    It's tingly! I mean, "no!"
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I've used Dr. Bronner's soap before. The label is still kept original by the company, even though the founder is long gone. 1 part Dr. Bronner's Almond soap to 3 parts water in a foaming soap pump makes a really good hand soap. Also try the peppermint on your nether regions and WAKE UP immediately. Better than Pepsi Maxxxxx!
    you put pepsi maxx on your balls?

Classic ;D

-Bobby
    edited April 2009
    I got a puck of soap from Susie's bubbles. Shaved for the first time with it yesterday and it went well. Good lather, very close shave, and left my skin feeling extremely smooth and soft. Smells great too.

Today, another story. I had a better lather today, but the shave was murder. I didn't bleed much, but my face is raw right now.

I've got to figure out a system. I think my face isn't happy with daily shaving (though when using the Proraso I went weeks on end shaving daily with minimal irritation). Problem is, if I don't shave that second day I end up rather beardy, not happy with it.

So I guess I need to figure out a 'second day' method of shaving. One that'll do the shave, but be less painful.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    At least for me, I found that shaving after a shower ends up making your face much more likely to get cut and get raw. Your skin is too soft, and has no resistance to the blade. When I shave independent before or a while after a shower I found it had much better results in terms of bleeding / cuts.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Oh my gosh you guys, whats next a thread about fine scotch and the art of smoking with a pipe?

(8:20:23 PM) TT|Home: hey
    (8:20:25 PM) TT|Home: you guys
    (8:20:29 PM) TT|Home: (lol goonies)
    (8:20:39 PM) TT|Home: but seriously, forum idea:
    (8:20:45 PM) TT|Home: The Manly Arts
    (8:20:50 PM) TT|Home: fashion, shaving
    (8:21:00 PM) TT|Home: basically the Dos Equis guy
    (8:21:00 PM) Snarky: We already have those threads
    (8:21:09 PM) TT|Home: oh I know we have THREADS
    (8:21:11 PM) Snarky: (The Most Interesting Guy in the World?)
    (8:21:16 PM) TT|Home: ^^ this
    (8:21:33 PM) TT|Home: I'm talking a rich tapestry of manliness

can has? Collec the manlithreads into one place?